offer parents (on a visit)  a drink?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

As the title says,when you have a parent or a couple come to visit you at your home if they are intersted in a place for their child or children then do you offer a cup of tea/coffe or a cold drink? I personally have never done this and perhaps its stems from my nursery background where you aren't meant to have hot drinks around children. Its never occured to me to make parents a drink and i also think that that is time thats taken away from you being able to interact with the child and parent,and also keep an eye on any usual minded children if the parent came in the daytime. Plus i wouldn't want the visitees child trying to grab hold of the hot mug.
    Well my husband has had a dig at me as he was present (but doing his work in a seperate room) & asked me later on if i'd offered the couple a tea/coffee. (they had just been to see me about a place for their baby) I said no & told him my reasons and he didnt agree & said i should be offering a drink. Told him in so many words to mind his own business,but is he right?
    Thanks

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I always offer them my policy folder whilst I make a cuppa. I am lucky my kitchen is off my cm room, so can see and hear all what's going on

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I offer a drink as usually the parents are just round for an informal chat and I think it helps break the ice and make it more of a home environment for the parents which they seem to like. I do always drink mine and ask parents to drink theirs at the dining room table though and away from the children. Never occurred to me not to offer to be honest!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer them a drink and leave them while I go off to the kitchen. It gives them chance to have a look through my folders and have a quick chat without me there!

5. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do too, and when I pass it to them I usually say something like 'I'll put you a coaster on the unit (which is higher up than kids can reach) just in case' I suppose it just reminds them its a hot drink... And that I don't want ring marks on my windowsill! To be honest though I also hadn't given it too much thought, just an automatic 'would you like a drink' comes out immediately as soon as they walk through the door, like Tourette's!
    Kelly xx

7. Likes funemnx liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I always offer a drink but then I never interview when I am working.

Post Thanks / Like

I am same as you op. Never do, even had parents around in an evening last week with no kids and didn't really think of it., exactly for same reasons, it's dangerous around little ones (usually they visit in evening but have their own Los with them) .. I also trained in a nursery! And because it's time consuming and takes you away from
    Them

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I do offer, never had anyone want tea or coffee yet! Most of them ask for a glass of water though.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Always offer one but if I interview when working we sit at the dining table. Very few people ask for a hot drink though. Usually water.
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats good to get peoples feedback and it seems most say to offer a drink.Perhaps i'll go with offering a cold drink as opposed to a hot one.I could actually do with water with all the talking i do when trying to impress a potential customer and their child!

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellib View Post
    I do offer, never had anyone want tea or coffee yet! Most of them ask for a glass of water though.
    Same here!!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not have offered either. I would have hoped my husband had stuck his head round the door to say hello to the parents, then he could have asked, then make us all a drink!!!

15. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I always offer parents a drink tea, coffee, water but I never arrange to meet them when im working. X
    If all else fails......add glitter!

17. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd always offer. If mindees are present, or my children as well as new children, I'd be cautious where I put a hot drink but surely a parent would be just as cautious? Mrs O had a coffee with my mindee here but we did mention when putting it down where it would be out of danger. I guess there's no right or wrong but I always offer a drink to people visiting me and would have problems asking people to be careful and consider where they were putting it if necessary.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't offer a drink as I do invite the parents to come round when I am working, in order to make the drink I would have to leave the front room and I won't leave the mindees with potential parents - I would still be able to hear but couldn't see so wouldn't be happy with that. I also wouldn't want them to think that I invite other people round and drink tea all day, I am not very good at drinking during the day - have only had a glass of squash since breakfast, so although I make sure children have regular drinks or can access water jug by themselves I just forget to offer adults drinks as I am rarely thirsty!

20. Likes dawn100 liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer a cold drink and explain why I don't offer hot drinks (children), then usually make a 'joke' about not being able to make very good tea or coffee as I'm american/ don't drink it myself (I say 'joke' because it's more truth than joke!) I usually make sure to find time to bake some homemade cookies before a parent visit as after several visits, I randomly made cookies for 2 and those 2 signed up!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have tried to do first visit when I do not have children, my husband always says hello and asks about drinks, he has usually made a fat free cake, or fruit flapjacks etc... selling the fact that we bake cook everything from scratch and are aware of healthy eating.
    If they visit when children are here I still offer but give them a cool side lidded cup and explain why, also placed strategically.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find parents only get into the mood to sign with me when they're well into the second bottle of vodka.

25. Likes Bluebell, rickysmiths, ziggy liked this post
    Sep06
    Post Thanks / Like

Great answer bunyip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast