Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My new mindee can't eat gelatine..

His religion means he can't eat pork or gelatine. I have obviously been over this with mum at the meeting when we met and once again after but I'm not getting much out of her!
    So no pork..no jelly..haven't been told anything else?! Does anyone else know what they can't eat that contains gelatine please?

I'm ok for dinner as only have him 1 night a week but puddings im struggling on.
    Thanks

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Loads of things have pork gelatine and pork derivative in especially sweets and puddings and like you say some jellies - you will have to read the labels.

I find A good sign to look out for is 'suitable for vegetarians' helps narrow things down and saves on reading lots of small print.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

no jelly or marshmallows.

most haribo are made with gelatine too. ( but you can get haribo giant strawberries ( in a green bag ) that are vegetarian and also, I think its called funny mix ( strawbs, cola bottles and stars ) I prefer them to regular haribo now! )

I use agar agar for making jelly with ( using fruit juice )

pudding wise I usually do yogurt/fruit/custard etc and none of those have gelatine in them.

some commercial ready made mousses ( choc/lemon etc ) are made with gelatine. if I am doing this, then I use something like angel delight.

some icecream may have it in, as may cheesecakes. the easiest thing to do is to read the labels and find out! gelatine can be in the strangest of things!

DDs best friend is veggie, as are several mindees, so its something I always look out for.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies.

Well I don't give sweets so their out!
    He doesn't seem to like custard or angel delight..
    Tbh mum says she doesn't like the calories so doesn't mind if he doesn't have pudding but its hard when all the others are having it and scared im going to give him something wrong!

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would stick to fruit at pudding times

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Haribos are the worst when school age children are concerned! My school has a no sweet birthday policy, I did used to send in raisins - the kids were horrified!!

I bought some halal haribo type sweets from Morrisons in a tub, I would swap them over with ordinary haribos if needed.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

This is where I would ask mum to provide the food. Maybe im a coward but then mum is in control and knows what food lo is getting.

I have a lo who is lactose intolerant and this is exactly what I do with mum.

10. Likes Koala, little chickee liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    This is where I would ask mum to provide the food. Maybe im a coward but then mum is in control and knows what food lo is getting.

I have a lo who is lactose intolerant and this is exactly what I do with mum.
    '

Does she provide lactose free food!?? I had a parent once who insisted her little one was lactose intolerant, so as you do I asked her to provide food and omg I couldn't believe it she provided food which wasn't lactose free and even asked me to give her little one lactolose because she was constipated. of course we didn't last long.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gelatin isn't difficult to avoid, no processed puddings, fruit and yoghurt, cakes are ok...check labels...

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of biscuits contain it

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Having worked for a family as a nanny when mum was obsessed with mad cow disease I spent a long time trying to fi d products that had pork gelatine not beef. I found lots with beef bug nog a log with pork gelatine. So not all gelatine is pork.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    '

Does she provide lactose free food!?? I had a parent once who insisted her little one was lactose intolerant, so as you do I asked her to provide food and omg I couldn't believe it she provided food which wasn't lactose free and even asked me to give her little one lactolose because she was constipated. of course we didn't last long.
    Yes she does x mum is also lactose intolerant x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed a lot of the longer life yoghurts have pork gelatine in them x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Baby View Post
    His religion means he can't eat pork or gelatine. I have obviously been over this with mum at the meeting when we met and once again after but I'm not getting much out of her!
    So no pork..no jelly..haven't been told anything else?! Does anyone else know what they can't eat that contains gelatine please?

I'm ok for dinner as only have him 1 night a week but puddings im struggling on.
    Thanks
    Have you thought of a 'dietary requirement' form?

They can be useful if you put 2 sections
    1. food child is allowed
    2. food not allowed
    That will be a starter and you can buy what the family provides until you get more aware of the gelatine content in food.

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

if you stick with vegetarian foods you cant go wrong as obviously there are no animal products in them.
    And I didnt think you could ask parent to bring in food just because its difficult for you, as its seen as discrimination. Well it is discrimination. If you are providing food for children you cant have different rules for one child, as its not inclusive

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people with religious dietary needs stick to them and of course, I would too when asked.

I had one child who had the same with gelatine and pork, I stuck to it religiously (why wouldn't I) only to discover at his birthday party that he was eating jelly, haribo and marshmallows! Mum was absolutely shocked when I told her unless she'd bought special ones they all had gelatine.

So all along he'd been eating it anyway. My point is don't always listen to parents advice, if they send something with gelatine without realising, you feed them it, whose to blame?

It's not too hard our main pudding is yoghurt and fruit anyway.

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I think ill ask mum for a little bit more input and see. Appreciate your help.