Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When to charge...

In a pickle and not sure what to do!

I've got a lovely relationship with all my parents, one of the mums I help - her lo is in same class as my boy (age 10). She is a pleasure, no trouble and actually quite helpful with the babies.
    But, one day school closed early - this was a day I was due to collect at 3.15. I txt and says would she need me to pick up early, she said yes please. So I did. This week she was an hour late due to traffic. So I offered to make tea (as we were all having ours). She was very apologetic etc. as I said the child is no problem, but it is work and not my choice per say to have her!
    I would usually charge for this time, the odd 5/10 mins I wouldn't bother unless continued to happen... but once over 15/30 then I think I should charge and usually would.
    So Friday she presents me with a bunch of flowers and says thank you for having lo that time when school closed and when I was late. Now not being ungrateful as it is very lovely to get flowers but puts me in position where I think is she assuming I won't be charging as you've given me flowers??
    I don't know what to do! Don't want to upset her but she owes me nearly 3 hours now.
    What would you do?
    My policy is late servals charged at my rate...

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard isn't it when we find after some time that the line between work and friendly relationships are blurred? In a similar situation, where Mum has given me flowers for being extra flexible I have taken a deep breath and charged anyway. It might seem harsh but we are businesses and parents (on the whole, expect to be charged for hours worked)

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If a parent is late I charge them for the extra time. If they are going to be very late, so long as they tell me I just charge for the extra. Just put it on the invoice, she can't really argue if you've had the child.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

How to do it?!!! Just put it on the invoice..

I feel so bad - why? I keep telling myself I run a business! We are saving for our holidays... You must charge. But get on well with parent and child and she really is no trouble!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i think in the circumstances I'd let it go this once. But next time, add it to the invoice xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also concerned it's turning into a habit. Ten mins late again today. Each week she is late at least once out of three sessions. I'm going to talk to mum about it tomorrow, I feel I should charge. I charge other families so doesn't feel fair.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a no brainer - charge!

If she was working overtime even though her boss may give her a bottle of wine for getting them out of a pickle or take her out for a drink she would still expect to get paid for it, anybody would.

I would graciously accept the flowers as a thank you for getting her out of a pickle and pop the overtime on the bill, keep things clear and professional otherwise you are making a proverbial rod for your own back and you will be beating yourself with it later, I expect payment for my services in MONEY, not flowers, chocolates, bottle tops or old boots - non of these pay my bills.. Man up it will make life easier in the long run. And don't feel guilty about charging because child is a delight, we get plenty of children who wee really deserve double, tripple or even quadrouple fees but we don't charge according to how nice they are, otherwise we'd be rolling in it

8. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

You could do as someone else on here suggested to me, put in the late fee on invoice. Then minus it and say, as it was a one off I didn't charge.

Then she'll know next time she has to!

10. Likes QualityCare liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Koala yes i wish sometimes i could double/triple the fee!
    I decided to charge, as have other families who I do and have charged late collections for. I did not want a situation where one mum finds out I have charged her and not others, it just didn't feel fair either and I don't feel comfortable with the situation.
    As much as I love the family - I do feel it is starting to be a habit of them being a few minutes late regularly. An hour is a long time and until the child goes I am still working. So I talked to mum and explained I would be charging - that time over I would usually charge and hope she understands. She was fine about it, although I do think she was hoping the flowers might have been enough!
    I like to be honest with people and I am running a business too.
    Thank you all great as usual xx