Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labelling boxes

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    hmm I really was opposed to 'labelling' boxes - didn't want to end up looking like a nursery. I ended up getting some ikea storage which I resisted for ages but it made my house so much tidier and organised as before toys were overflowing!
    Now toys are accesible and tidily put away.

I did my EYP and wanted to have lots of things 'ticked' on my assessment visit. I also had a FCCERS environmental audit.

SOOO I put labels on the boxes as I wanted to get good feedback and (although this is naughty) I then planned to probably take them back down again and revert to more of a 'home based' setting.

However, I found that the children could access what toys they wanted easier, putting toys away is easier and keeping them sorted. It also shows at a glance what resources I have available to prospective parents or DW visit.

I put photos on not written labels. Most of my children are pre-readers so I feel pictorial aids are more appropriate. If I were to put labels on I would only put basic labels on so maybe on the car box and dolls but not small world or threading resources - just the odd small word where children could maybe recognise the initial sounds. I have 2 children entering foundation stage next year and I had 2 children last year. At this stage they ALL also attend pre-schools so I'm pretty sure they get the full 'labels' setting thing going on there!!
    I have their names on the pegs and I have plenty of books and a couple of posters about 'people who help us' and Fireman Sam 'Stay Safe' poster but thats it. I don't want lots of labels.
    Brownie points, maybe - Requirement -No.
    I said this and one of my Ofsted Inspectors made a comment of "I bet your 1 year old knows the M Mcdonalds sign" - she was right!
    Debbie

2. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have been looking at this thread for a little while .... Have been reflecting on what I think about labels.....in a home setting......
    My apologies in advance for this epic...:

Simona's point is spot on, it isn't about 'labelling' it is about creating a 'print rich' environment that in a nursery and school would definitely include labelling resources as there is so many of them...and resources take up such a big % of the environment.
    But in a home, that only 3 children under 5 spend their whole day ....do you really need to make the labelling the important part of a ' print rich ' environment? Another big important literacy point is ' reason for writing' which should not be contrived but real. If your resources are in see through boxes do they need labels? My resources are laid out on shelves in natural baskets and containers, no boxes of lots of toys together.. therefore no labels, a bit minimalist, but by design, everything can be seen, there is no reason to label.
    But...a 'print rich ' environment gives children the clues that letters and words are meaningful and books and writing are important and enjoyable and exciting.....so as long as you, with the children, find lots of reasons to write and display; labels for models made, greetings, interactive, easily dismantled once children leave displays, shopping lists, plans,maps, book corners, photos, names ......all the things that Sarah707 has suggested in her environment download ....then I think you are providing a 'print rich' environment, that doesn't impede on a home feeling and that is easy to convert back to home mode, once children go home.
    The recommendations by Ofsted are 'labels' because they are the first thing that they think about suggesting when they enter an environment that isn't obviously 'print rich'.

My home is naturally 'print rich ' because I am an English graduate, interested in literacy and words...I still write every week to my sons who are grown up and live at each end of the country and despair of this old fashioned communication, but secretly ...they like it, they like reading letters, postcards,parcels of books, my quotes, articles I know they will appreciate, jokes, ...they like reading anything .....because they grew up in a 'print rich ' environment ! Books and magazines everywhere....even the toilet, postcards, sentimental letters, certificates, genuine shopping lists, 'I can't remember anything unless I write it down notes, post its between me and DH reminding each other of ..planting, visitors, telephone messages...calendars... are around.....alongside the applemac that has a quote as screen saver, photos with odd captions that the apple tv allows me to scroll on my television....an ipad that has become as glued to me as my bible...and a smart phone that we use to text mummy and daddy that we we did a wee in the toilet after lunch ..children not me!!

Labels do not make a 'print rich' environment ..but if you haven't got anything ( or just have posters that have been there forever, that no child looks at, that is too high for them to see anyway, that have become 'wallpaper') then Inspectors suggest this as a starting point......

If an Inspector suggests labels to me I will be offended...and discuss ....and ( hopefully ) dissuade her/ him from putting it as an action plan ..........
    .....or....I will succumb to low self esteem, worriedness ......and put a few labels on the duplo and playmobil boxes .....and bow to 'big brother ofsted' 'rabbit in headlight' feeling ...so that There is no risk of being criticised on the day.....!!!!!

And hear endeth my thoughts ..... In writing....but in my head I am a little angst and still reflecting ..on this subject!
    Last edited by FloraDora; 16-01-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very against labels didn't want house like a nursery, but then I went in a course and they half converted me so I thought if try. I'm totally converted now much easier for me and kids I use the expedia units from ikea with the wicker baskets, I have the labels on one side so at night or weekends I can turn them round so no one would ever know I was a childminder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12