Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our pet has passed away

Tomorrow I need to explain to mindees that our guinea pig has passed away. He was 7 years old and as tame as he possible could be. My oldest son is very upset. When I had an inspection nearly 7 years ago the guinea pig was only a baby and was bring introduced to another pig we had and the they were in the bath which was neutral territory with the children watching them to see if they liked each other and could they possibly live together in same cage and this was while the inspector was chatting to the children was very interesting!!!! I know he was only a guinea pig but he was with us for 7 years and a really good age.

Deb
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your guinea pig. Over the years we have had several guinea pigs and rabbits, and I still get upset when one dies,and vow not to get anymore. My sadest one was the pig we got as baby, she got pregnant quite young - the dad was from a rescue place and they said he had been done.so the 3 babies were a shock. I used to sit and watch her feed her babies, she was so good. She was always my favourite.
    As for telling the children,I had some that told me their rabbit had gone to bunny heaven.They seemed to accept that and not ask any questions, so thats the way I do it now.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sad news, they are part of the family and very upsetting when they go. Keep it simple with the children that always seems the best approach.

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always had guinea pigs had a herd of nine for years and they slowly passed away one by one as they got older. Every one had a different personality and every time one died I was really upset so can understand how you feel. They are such friendly interesting creatures and great characters, they are all sadly missed.

Sending hugs xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    Tomorrow I need to explain to mindees that our guinea pig has passed away. He was 7 years old and as tame as he possible could be. My oldest son is very upset. When I had an inspection nearly 7 years ago the guinea pig was only a baby and was bring introduced to another pig we had and the they were in the bath which was neutral territory with the children watching them to see if they liked each other and could they possibly live together in same cage and this was while the inspector was chatting to the children was very interesting!!!! I know he was only a guinea pig but he was with us for 7 years and a really good age.

Deb
    awww sorry to hear that

he was your guinea pig so he was part of your family

I hate it when we lose a pet

Hope you are ok, big hugs

Angel xx

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that, sending hugs x

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That is very sad. We have lots of guinea pigs over twenty years and I love them all. My favourite one was a black and white one we got from a shop as a baby on 23rd December about 10 years ago. This little pig appeared from under a pile of hay. Both his ears had been chewed off and he was clearly the runt. My daughter then 14 wanted it, but we didn't have a cage. My then new partner said he would make one and spent Xmas doing just that. When I ask to buy him the assistant said I couldn't because he had haymites and they would have to treat him. Can I reserve him then I asked. She went to ask and then said, No but they could just give him to us and we could get him the treatment. He was a cuddly little piggy and we all loved him. We called him scrat (From the ice age films)

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Rip little piggy

Run free with lots of green grass and popcorning xx

9. Likes SwanLake liked this post
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

We've got a little piggy who he is adorable. He has taken to jumping out of his hutch (its low) when he sees me and sits on my foot squeaking to be picked up and then snuggles up to me. If he is lose he walks by my side etc. He had a brother who sadly died and then despite living with his new playmate for months and being happy he stopped liking him and erm killed him overnight so now he lives alone but has cuddles with our bunny as they adore each other. I thought he was on his way out a few weeks back as he had changed but thankfully he wasnt. I do dread going out to his hutch and finding him gone so I feel your pain as we've lost 2 in a year already. We told ours that they had gone to animal heaven to play with all the other pets (Fish etc) who have left us. xx
    Reach for the Moon. If you fail, you'll still land among the stars

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwanLake View Post
    We've got a little piggy who he is adorable. He has taken to jumping out of his hutch (its low) when he sees me and sits on my foot squeaking to be picked up and then snuggles up to me. If he is lose he walks by my side etc. He had a brother who sadly died and then despite living with his new playmate for months and being happy he stopped liking him and erm killed him overnight so now he lives alone but has cuddles with our bunny as they adore each other. I thought he was on his way out a few weeks back as he had changed but thankfully he wasnt. I do dread going out to his hutch and finding him gone so I feel your pain as we've lost 2 in a year already. We told ours that they had gone to animal heaven to play with all the other pets (Fish etc) who have left us. xx
    Oh swanlake xxxx thinking of you and your loss this week too RIP little piggies xx

Post Thanks / Like

One of my LO has just lost very suddenly their dog. LO has been really up set and struggling I found lots of useful info on the Child Bereavement website really helped in knowing what to say and that child's reactions are quite normal x Sorry for your loss hope this helps x x