Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tidy up time

Registered Childminder since
    apr 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tidy up time

Just wanted people's thoughts on this one. We have started a 'tidy up time' at the end of the day, as all the little ones leave at the same time. One of the parents, who's Lo has been here 2 years, has told me, she doesn't like the idea and that it's my job to do it when all the children have gone home! Needless to say, it's been a long 2 years! Not sure weather I should stand my ground and keep going with it as all the Lo enjoy doing it!
    Thanks guys x

nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I do...before lunch....before we go out...the groups I go to always have tidy up time followed by singing...doesnt always work and I clean up behind them but they do try to help

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

yes of course keep going!!
    Its an important skill for the children to acquire ! They don't see it as a chore , and it can be a wonderful learning experience , great for maths and pse especially.
    MY lot have a 'mantra' - choose it , use it , put it away!

4. Likes Kiddleywinks, Maza, sing-low liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

We do it here too, parents are amazed as kids don't do it at home but do if without question here!

I'd carry on with what you are doing, it's good for kids to realise they can't leave things all over the place!

6. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    may 05
    Post Thanks / Like

When meeting new parents I explain that I offer a home from home setting where their child will become one of the childminding family....as well as learning through play the children will over time observe and join in with every day activities such as dusting, helping put the washing on the line, setting the table for meals, clearing the table and tidying up at certain points during the day. I explain that life skills are as important as their abc's and 123's and by joining in with "family" life the child feels important, included and needed as well as confident and independent all of which has helped many of the children who move upto "big school" and have the skills for science practicals, cooking etc. This year one of my longest serving children felt confident and able to begin the transition of walking home to their own home, making a light tea, doing a chore or two for mum and starting homework before mum got home...all of which will benefit mum and dad greatly as all children grow out of childcare eventually!!!

apr 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, will be strong and keep going, especially as the Lo's enjoy sorting and counting x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your client needs to be told that most CMs seem to expect children to learn and participate in tidying. It's not just "your job" - although I do find it's frequently my job to sort the jigsaw pieces and wipe down those toys which have been dribbled on.

You might also mention that it is part of their learning and development programme, as mentioned in Development Matters:
    - "Enjoys responsibility of carrying out small tasks" (PSE)
    - "Understands that equipment and tools have to be used safely" (Physical) ie. not left out as tripping hazards.

It is far safer to involve lo's in a tidy-as-we-go process than to let the floor-tip build up all day for them to fall over until you do it all at the end of the day. It is also far safer to do it altogether than for a CM to be distracted doing all the tidying while the lo's are left unsupervised.

If none of these points can sway your client, then I can only say I'd rather visit your house than theirs.

10. Likes Maza, Kiddleywinks, TNT liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with everyone on this and wanted to add that the preschools/schools that I have worked with have done the same. There is always a tidy up time with the children getting involved with anything they can safely tidy away. Mum should be thanking you for teaching her child to do this not making it a problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Tidy up/family chore time have always been part of routine here not only are they learning valuable skills but it boosts their confidence and self esteem and sense of belonging. What wrong with this parent??

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How rude and silly of her. I honestly think that some people are addicted to moaning and don't really 'think through' what they are moaning about. How will she get on when he is at school - does she expect the teacher to tidy up when the kids have gone home?

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh for goodness sake, as if we don't have enough to do when the LO's leave without having to tidy the toys away too (a very small part of my 'get ready for tomorrow' routine). Ignore Mum, she's not your boss!

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

What?!! You'd think the parent would be grateful that their child is learning to tidy up!

Being tidy is a valuable habit to learn! I should know, I have two messy girls and I was so sick of spending three hours tidying their bedrooms fortnightly i have introduced a marvellous pocket money scheme. They get £5 each on the weekend but their bedrooms have to remain spotless, beds made(they are 7 and 9 yrs). Well it's just so marvellous to be able to hoover their rooms without hours tidying first!!

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As I'm quickly learning is often the case, I reckon maybe this Mum has gotten the wrong end of the stick about what actually happens at tidy up time! If its anything like tidy up time here (oldest mindee isn't yet 2 and a half) then it generally involves enthusiastic but painfully slow attempts by the children to put about 3 small toys away in the time it takes me to find homes for 10 times that many! But they get that they have to help and are doing more and more each day so I'm happy. Maybe explain to her that you're not sat with a cuppa and feet up flogging her LO from across the room during this time and that its actually a good thing for them!

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Haywood View Post
    When meeting new parents I explain that I offer a home from home setting where their child will become one of the childminding family....as well as learning through play the children will over time observe and join in with every day activities such as dusting, helping put the washing on the line, setting the table for meals, clearing the table and tidying up at certain points during the day. I explain that life skills are as important as their abc's and 123's and by joining in with "family" life the child feels important, included and needed as well as confident and independent all of which has helped many of the children who move upto "big school" and have the skills for science practicals, cooking etc. This year one of my longest serving children felt confident and able to begin the transition of walking home to their own home, making a light tea, doing a chore or two for mum and starting homework before mum got home...all of which will benefit mum and dad greatly as all children grow out of childcare eventually!!!
    Dusting?!?! Lol x

Post Thanks / Like

Yes defo keep the tidy up time in your routine

Cheeky mommy!!

As everyone has pretty much already said - most of the time the little ones love helping out - you're not using them as little slaves doing your house hold chores while you sit around giving your orders with your feet up!

Really does puzzle me sometimes some of the remarks that are said by parents and carers!

We sing a song at tidy up time where I encourage children to stop what they are doing join in with the song and then tidy up. I use a musical instrument to gain their attention (bells) then once they're all stopped & looking which they pretty much do straight away we all singgggg-

It goes -

"Tidy up time, put the toys away,
    In their boxes, for another day,
    Busy fingers flying through the air,
    Ready, Steady woooooosh them over there"

xxx

Post Thanks / Like

My 19 month old loves to dust!!! I only have her on a Friday so whizz round with the duster but recently instead of doing it when she naps we do it together in the morning!! Also give her a baby wipe and she loves to clean the toy kitchen!! My 4 yr old mindees love to sweep up the floor! Learning new skills using the dustpan! Cleaning as a child is fun it's only when you have to do it when you get older it becomes a chore!!! We do tidy up time about 3 times a day, my 2 that go last at 6 now do it unprompted then have 10ins of cbeebies!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

An alternative and rather elegant solution presents itself.

Agree with the mum and explain that, as you value her opinion in the upbringing of her darling child, you have decided to accommodate her wishes. To this end, the children will not tidy up at the end of the day. Instead, you will employ a contract cleaner to come in for an hour each day as soon as the lo's have left. The increased cost will, naturally, be reflected in this mum's revised fee as from your next invoice.

22. Likes JCrakers, Maza, Mrs Scrubbit, ziggy liked this post
    aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always had a tidy up time, plus when they have finished with 1 set of toys the are put away before any others come out

24. Likes ziggy liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The children always tidy up here...I'm not a blinkin servant (although most days, feel like one) If we make mess, we tidy up after our selves.

They will have to do it at school and its good for them to tidy up. We always tidy as we go most days as if we have too much out on the floor it just turns into a trip hazard.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a LO who likes to just extend play, mid game play tidy up makes him mad, so I allow him to mix activities as much as possible but he still joins in with tidy up time. It takes a bit longer, we have to start earlier but He is still involved in tidying up and does so with gusto. His sense of achievement , smiles and high 5s couldn't be bought! I feel sad for children who parents do it all x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast