Help, I think Mindee may have broken her finger
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Keeley77 Guest

Default Help, I think Mindee may have broken her finger

Could really do with some advice regarding an incident today where a child may have broken her finger!

the mindee (almost 3) from a standing position - went to lash out at my daughter (almost 3) - mindee raised her right hand into the air and brought it down towards my daughter but did not make contact - she drew her hand back before she hit her and started crying and holding her hand to her chest.
    (this child does quite regularly hit other children and mum is aware of this and I use time out to deal with the issue whilst in my care.)
    This happened at about 11.30am - I checked her hand at the time and it looked fine - I just thought it was really strange as she didn't actually make contact with my daughter or anything elst. It looked as though it happened in mid air, but I can only assume that she has cought it on her jumper or sleeve posibly? very odd.

when I looked at her later whilst washing after using the toilet about 13.45 - I could see that her middle finger was really swollen and bruising was appearing. I then contacted mum explained what had happened and said its best that she be taken to the doctor. Mum agreed that she would pick her up or have someone else come to collect her. Mum Didn't get here until just before 5 - missed the bus from town.

I'm now concerned what I should do if the child's finger is broken! I completed an accident form with mum and she has signed it, but i'm worried that there may be some accusation that I wasn't suppervising properly or something along those lines, I was in the room when it happened but there was nothing I could do to prevent it, especially as im not even sure what it was she did!! - Do i need to let OFsted and my Insurance company know if it turns out that the finger is broken? - i'm also concerned she might complain to Ofsted or try and sue me.

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor you it's horrible when something happens in your care! Can't advise on Ofsted but think its unlikely she broke it maybe she strained it or something.. My middle one whacked her hand off a wooden slide last week and it immediately swelled up and went purple ., I was convinced broken but it's not

Hugs for you xx

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you have everything written down and if needs be speak to your insurers as a precaution. These things do happen, she obviously caught it on something, it could even be she bent it backwards. There is little they can do with broken fingers and toes other than strap them together. Try not to worry and ask mum for an update later.

Sending hugs.

Sam x

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If just a trip to gp then you are ok but if taken to hospital then you do need to report to ofsted.

Deb
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't beat yourself up - accidents happen!!

You have done all you can - identified injury, called parent to collect and advised to seek medical advice. Documented. make sure you put times down as you have with your post. I can't see what more you could have done.

Maybe little one might learn that it hurts to hit people!

Just make sure mum did get medical advice, document that she did, where and when.
    I would open a monitoring report for lo with regards to how she is over the next couple of weeks and share it with parents and get them to sign it.

Again - ACCIDENTS HAPPEN - it's not anyone's fault!

Keeley77 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    If just a trip to gp then you are ok but if taken to hospital then you do need to report to ofsted.

Deb
    Well mum was going to go home first and then take her to A and E as there seemed little point going to GP as we assumed they would probably just say it needed to be x -rayed? So do I need to report to Ofsted even if the X-Ray doesn't show any break in the finger.

Keeley77 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keeley77 View Post
    Well mum was going to go home first and then take her to A and E as there seemed little point going to GP as we assumed they would probably just say it needed to be x -rayed? So do I need to report to Ofsted even if the X-Ray doesn't show any break in the finger.
    Also where do I find the information from Ofsted regarding what I need to report to them etc. Can't find it on their website!

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is classed by ofsted as a serious injury/ significant incident if broken. Therefore you do need to report it. The last thing you need is parent to report it as if you do not and they do you will have an unannounced inspection. It is mentioned on the early years register and childcare register. It is also mentioned on the St. John's ambulance website. Deb
    Last edited by Tazmin68; 18-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloa...es.doc&refer=0

You need to report broken bones, it could be anything caused it ds banged his arm gently and it snapped, turned out he had a tumour going in the bone. Try not to worry, mum hopefully will ring soon and let you know what the doctor said then take it from there.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeley you need to telephone them on 03001231231 you might want to get an update from mum first. There is a childcare factsheet for serious accidents, injuries etc from ofsted i'll look in a bit to see if I can see it on their website
    Thinking about you x Try not to worry x

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the website bluebear has found x

Keeley77 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloa...es.doc&refer=0

You need to report broken bones, it could be anything caused it ds banged his arm gently and it snapped, turned out he had a tumour going in the bone. Try not to worry, mum hopefully will ring soon and let you know what the doctor said then take it from there.
    thanks for above. Ive just a quick look.. it does say (and if child is admitted for 24 hours) so i'm assuming that if the finger isn't broken I don't need to report? - My husband seems to think that its unlikely that it was broken as she was happy playing after the initial tears! - it all feels a bit out of proportion now. I'm also concerned that ive made a mistake by not taking the child myself to A&E - I kept thinking that mum would turn up any minute, but it took her almost 3 hours to come and collect her. feeling very stressed about it. - I think I will ring through to Ofsted in the morning - I just hope that it doesn't lead to an inspection.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor you, try to get an update from mum in a bit, i'm sure its all fine and you will sleep so much better x

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If the finger is not broken and she does not stay a night in hospital no need to report!
    Last edited by bindy; 18-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Keeley77 Guest

When I look back at the timings of texts and phone calls I can see that Mum didn't actually leave work until 2 hours after I had contacted her! She didn't let me know she wasn't on her way or that she hadn't been able to get hold of anyone else until almost 2 hours after the initial phone call I made to her - I chased her when I realised how much time had passed (i did the school run in between). - I have saved the text she sent saying that she had got held up at work and then bus issues etc - do you think i should write this down and put on mindees file? what would you guys do? - I just want to make sure i'm covered in case she tries to say that I should have taken her to the hosp myself? I didn't because i thought mum was going to collect any minute. -

Also with regards to the behavioural issues - which is what caused the drama in the first place, what do you guys recommend regarding the constant hitting and pushing of other children? she only comes on a monday.

sorry to keep going on about it.

Post Thanks / Like

When I look back at the timings of texts and phone calls I can see that Mum didn't actually leave work until 2 hours after I had contacted her! She didn't let me know she wasn't on her way or that she hadn't been able to get hold of anyone else until almost 2 hours after the initial phone call I made to her - I chased her when I realised how much time had passed (i did the school run in between). - I have saved the text she sent saying that she had got held up at work and then bus issues etc - do you think i should write this down and put on mindees file? what would you guys do? - I just want to make sure i'm covered in case she tries to say that I should have taken her to the hosp myself? I didn't because i thought mum was going to collect any minute. - Also with regards to the behavioural issues - which is what caused the drama in the first place, what do you guys recommend regarding the constant hitting and pushing of other children? she only comes on a monday. sorry to keep going on about it.
    Firstly yes save texts, but also document them, long with timings me exact wording. Including your responses, if any.

With regards to the behaviour that triggered the incident, I simply say no thank you (very firmly, but in hushed tones) , and take the child away to a quite space of the room. I turn away from them and carry on the activity with children. After about a minute of no contact/attention I turn to them, ask them to come to me, and say I don't like hitting/pushing, that doesn't happen here, say sorry, and then carry on it's over. I then write this down in their daily dairies, tell parent why you have done that, and ask them to do something similar at home. Carry this on until behaviour stops, which it will!

Consistency is the absolute key! And never give in! Make it very clear what behaviour is liked/disliked and what you expect.

As a three year old, she will understand everything you tell her, good luck x

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Mindie broke her arm in my care and she wasn't hospitalised but I did have to notify ofsted and insurance company and it did trigger an inspection.

You need to write down everything that happened including the texts and also what happens when mum lets you know, just in case. I am surprised she hasn't got back to you yet, my parent was brilliant and kept me posted by text as she knew I was mortified
    Last edited by caz3007; 18-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.