Unannounced OFSTED call at 7am
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  85
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I take your point Mouse...it's a word game!!!...one paragraph says 'usually' the next says 'normally' neither say 'will'.. I trust all cms in this forum have now got the message that we may get that knock on the door anytime...usually announced or 'normally' not ! All inspectors conduct their business on mobiles ...if we report the call was not made for a schedule inspection and gave the inspector's name, which we are entitled to get from him/her... Ofsted can trace the call? Someone can email Ofsted if that has happened to them ...we need to put a stop to this and act or we will be going round in circles. Incidentally I did email Ofsted Principle Officer a while back on this very matter and shared her comments in this forum...she said inspector do not carry out unannounced cycle inspections...if that happens to me I will show the inspector that email I suggest we all email Ofsted and see what response we get...can't see any other way can anyone?
    I have emailed Ofsted a list of questions about out of hours and unannounced visits, so I will wait and see what response, if any, I get!

2. Likes Mouse, N/A liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post

Recently I had issues in getting a CRB check for my 16 year old daughter as she is adopted and we struggled with identification, as we took some time to gain identification, she was sent several letters telling her that she was not suitable to be on the premises, HER HOME, they made her feel as though she was a random stranger and this is really upset her. I complained to OFSTED and was just told these were standard letters and I told them that I was disgusted that they would treat my family in this way in their own home obviously it didn't get anywhere but it made me realise how they view us.
    I had to read that bit twice, and I still find it appalling. I've long since felt the same, as when I first registered my daughter was 4 so I put her name and dob and the forms as a person who was living in my home and they sent me a letter (which was quite formal and harshly worded) saying she'd need a crb check and that I'd failed to provide one! For a 4 year old?!
    It was an error and was sorted quickly but it still made me think of OFSTED, and the way they go about obtaining information on Childminders, in a negative light. We are different to other settings, as in the people they need info on are not our employees but our family members. They are inspecting us in our homes, which are personal to us (even though, yes, we do open them to children and in turn to them) but its feeling lately like we have no right to a private life, or to expect any kind of humane treatment from OFSTED. I've heard awful stories about him minders have been treat in their own homes and I think Childminders should be under a different criteria than nurseries, schools etc. and we should be given some leeway owing to the fact that we work differently and in a different environment
    Kelly xx

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I don't think from what I have read and I haven't seen the FB group post, but I get the impression that we haven't been told the whole story. How many of us know anyone who has had Ofsted knock on the door at 7am (ok benefit of the doubt 8am)?

If this inspector was checking the cm for being over numbers on school children then that is prob a good time for them to visit isn't it? I don't see the problem really. I know a lot of cm and I have never known one have a visit at 8am, not even the two who have has visits due to Safeguarding Complaints being made so I suspect Ofsted had good reason to knock on this cms door at the time they did.

It seems everyone is panicking more than a bit. Nothing has suddenly changed Ofsted have always have right of entry to our homes if there is a concern about the Welfare of the children in our care or to carry out an Inspection and it has been that way for 13 years!. The only change is there are more unannounced Complaint driven Inspections
    I've had an Inspector come at 7.30 am as she wanted to speak to my parents when they dropped the children off.
    So Yes it HAS happened, she stayed with me until lunchtime, went and had her lunch somewhere and then came back and walked down to the school with me for 3.30 pickup, came back and talked to all the schoolies, left about 4.30ish.
    This was an ordinary 3 year ish timescale Inspection. No complaints against me, it was just my time.
    I don't know if anyone else has had it, or if it was just this Inspectors way of working.

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post

I've had an Inspector come at 7.30 am as she wanted to speak to my parents when they dropped the children off.
    So Yes it HAS happened, she stayed with me until lunchtime, went and had her lunch somewhere and then came back and walked down to the school with me for 3.30 pickup, came back and talked to all the schoolies, left about 4.30ish.
    This was an ordinary 3 year ish timescale Inspection. No complaints against me, it was just my time.
    I don't know if anyone else has had it, or if it was just this Inspectors way of working.
    9 hours????????! OMG

Post Thanks / Like

I've had an Inspector come at 7.30 am as she wanted to speak to my parents when they dropped the children off. So Yes it HAS happened, she stayed with me until lunchtime, went and had her lunch somewhere and then came back and walked down to the school with me for 3.30 pickup, came back and talked to all the schoolies, left about 4.30ish. This was an ordinary 3 year ish timescale Inspection. No complaints against me, it was just my time. I don't know if anyone else has had it, or if it was just this Inspectors way of working.
    I think that is incredible, my most recent inspection lasted 1 hr 30mins from 10am-11.30!

I don't think your inspector is the norm so to speak! I wouldn't want an inspector with me for hours but it does seem unfair, potentially you had 4/5hours more than me to shine...these inconsistencies are really out of order!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish more Inspectors would speak to parents to be honest.

However I would have said that 7.30am to 4.30pm was too much and I would have rung the provider and complained at lunch time if the inspector had indicated they were coming back for the afternoon as well. Inspections are supposed to be 2.5 to 3 hours at the longest now. If she saw the morning children that should have been enough, no need to walk to school in the afternoon as well.

I did say in my post it may have been because she wanted to see the before school children I didn't say it didn't happen just that it is unusual.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 19-11-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    I have emailed Ofsted a list of questions about out of hours and unannounced visits, so I will wait and see what response, if any, I get!
    Let us know what reply you get and then we can compare notes!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another of our Facebook members had an unannounced 'just passing' inspection this morning at 9.15am. She doesn't live anywhere near the first lady...

We have to stop worrying - it's happening and we've got to deal with it!!

if we are ready then we will be able to manage it better.... so time to get prepared!

here are some tips xx

Unannounced Ofsted inspections -

10. Likes Tulip, serin liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Another of our Facebook members had an unannounced 'just passing' inspection this morning at 9.15am. She doesn't live anywhere near the first lady...

We have to stop worrying - it's happening and we've got to deal with it!!

if we are ready then we will be able to manage it better.... so time to get prepared!

here are some tips xx

Unannounced Ofsted inspections -
    I'm not toooooo worried about an unannounced inspection, other than the panic I'd feel if an inspector suddenly appeared on the doorstep!

And in some ways I actually see the possibility of an unannounced inspection as a positive thing. It's making me keep on top of my paperwork and has made me change how I do a few things. And surprisingly, keeping on top of everything is making my life easier...who'd have thought

12. Likes N/A, AgentTink, sarah707, Tulip liked this post
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well they didn't come on my day off today yippee! However if they had when I was on my way out with a train to catch and my own children at school... no way would I have given up my plans. Why an earth should we? Wd are entitled to a day off just like anyone else and I would have been furious to justify this to an inspector and certainly wouldn't have kept quiet about it!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a question about unannounced inspections ... Are they currently happening to childminders in towns or cities, or at least in areas with several childminders in a small ish radius?
    Only asking as I live in a rural area. ... my closest childminder was inspected earlier in the year and my next closest minder is 6 or 7 miles away. An Inspector could spend all day driving round trying to find someone at home in my area! ( unless of course they arrived at 7am! But currently I would still be in bed! As would the rest of my family! )

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard about this and the story was as her hours of opening are 6.30 to 6.30 they presumed she was available

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karen m View Post
    I heard about this and the story was as her hours of opening are 6.30 to 6.30 they presumed she was available
    I think that is fair enough then, I thought there must be more than we realised!! I dont think ofsted did anything wrong in this case x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleMarie88 View Post
    I think that is fair enough then, I thought there must be more than we realised!! I dont think ofsted did anything wrong in this case x
    Then why did the inspector tell the cm that she was early because her watch was wrong? How much easier would it have been if she'd just said "you're opening hours are stated as being from 6.30am-6.30pm, so that's why I'm here at 7am"?

18. Likes Kiddleywinks, rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Then why did the inspector tell the cm that she was early because her watch was wrong? How much easier would it have been if she'd just said "you're opening hours are stated as being from 6.30am-6.30pm, so that's why I'm here at 7am"?
    Haha that's true!!

Who knows!!!? The early hour must have confused both parties x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Mouse...your question is pertinent...I asked a few in this thread and none were answered

I am worried that we have been discussing something that happened on the forum FB page and not here where the cm herself could have taken part and given details thus avoiding a lot of speculation?

We all have a choice of where we wish to get support from, some choose the forum, some FB and some both but it is hard to have a debate when the original discussion started in a very different social media that many cms here say they do not use??

We often hear in the forum of what has been reported on FB...how many cms are panicking or doing this or that...does what we post here get reported and discussed on FB?
    I hope not!!

I know this is going to be unpopular but I feel our choice not to be on FB needs to be respected...if we want to participate all we have to do is join that social media too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daftbat View Post
    Whilst I sympathize with this thinking Ofsted are legally able to enter your property (given you answer the door)! It wouldn't go in your favour to refuse enty to an inspector. They are reasonable though normally and won't hold you up if you are on a school run or have an appointment.
    I agree plus if you say your working hours are 7 till 6 for example ,then of course they could turn up early

I've never read anywhere that there is a time limit on when Ofsted come out

Always be on your toes whatever the time I say

Angel xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Mouse...your question is pertinent...I asked a few in this thread and none were answered

I am worried that we have been discussing something that happened on the forum FB page and not here where the cm herself could have taken part and given details thus avoiding a lot of speculation?

We all have a choice of where we wish to get support from, some choose the forum, some FB and some both but it is hard to have a debate when the original discussion started in a very different social media that many cms here say they do not use??

We often hear in the forum of what has been reported on FB...how many cms are panicking or doing this or that...does what we post here get reported and discussed on FB?
    I hope not!!

I know this is going to be unpopular but I feel our choice not to be on FB needs to be respected...if we want to participate all we have to do is join that social media too.
    Does it matter where the discussion started ?

It could affect any one of us so it's a great topic ...here or fb

Angel xx

23. Likes Greengrass74, rickysmiths, Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope not!!

I totally respect anyone's choice to stay off FB, just as I expect people to respect my choice to stay off Twitter.

You are saying we shouldn't bring FB discussions here, out of respect to non-FB users? Personally, I am very grateful that as a Twitter user you don't offer us non-users the same courtesy you would like extended to you. I am very glad that you & others do post info from Twitter. I do not have the time to use every form of social media & I am grateful to anyone who takes the time to share information from those that I don't use. I have no intention of signing up to Twitter (where I am sure the information is no more reliable than it is on FB), but I appreciate people taking the time to post what they have read there.

Would you prefer to miss out on any FB conversation no matter how relevant, interesting or useful it might be? If that is the case I would guess the only option is to avoid any threads that mention FB. It really isn't the evil place some people seem to believe it is. Yes, there is a lot of rubbish posted on there (a trait in all forms of social media), but there is also a lot of very good information and support.

I think it would be very limiting to only post something on FB, the Forum or Twitter, with no cross over. In my opinion it's a much better option to involve as many people as possible and to have cross-over in all 3. Would you have really preferred not to know that an Ofsted inspector have turned up at 7am? Would you prefer to be in the dark about things like that?

25. Likes bandlady, lilac_dragon, mama2three liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use 4rsebook, but have absolutely no problem if people bring a subject onto this forum that originated on FB. Maybe I say it as shouldn't, but I think it's a positive thing to have the chance to debate in this way.

The important thing is that all the relevant information accompanies the subject, as it shouldn't be assumed that we'll all 'in the know' or that we're all following a debate across multiple sites.

27. Likes lilac_dragon, mama2three liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast