Unannounced OFSTED call at 7am
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  85
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    Then why would the inspector lie? Surely if she was investigating because of a complaint she would have apologised how early she was and waited in the car. I haven't read anything in-between the lines of this post. She has contacted OFSTED and received an apology from the inspector with the excuse about her watch being wrong, and is going to follow it up with a complaint/comment on being contacted by them that early in the morning, she only had her registration visit 2 months ago, I doubt she would be packing them in when she is so new and knowing she will be due a full inspection soon. If she was trying to hide something, would she do all this?
    I just don't for a second believe that they have inspectors doing on the spot checks within a three mile radius. The facts seem very woolly, i don't think we have the full story. ofsted make it easy for us to be down on them, but this isn't normal behaviour for inspectors, so there must be more to it than what we know! Whether CM is withholding truths from her post, who knows, but doubts is is going to become standard practice.

As I said in previous post, to arrive at 7am, for what ever reason is far far to early, and inspectors retort about old watch, is rubbish! It seems fishy to me!

2. Likes rickysmiths, Koala liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    She has contacted OFSTED and been told that the inspector had forgotten to change her watch when the clocks changed, which is why she was so early. Apparently someone has reported a that a minder doing a school run at a local school is over her numbers, so they are checking all minders in a 3 mile radius, instead of the common sense approach of waiting at the school in question.

Sounds like excuse after excuse to bump her quota up......
    The clocks went back at the end of October so if she forgot to put her watch back then she would have thought it was 8am. However unless the visit was on Monday 28th October the first weekday after the clocks went back she must be quite dozy to have been able to work, watch telly, use a computer and not realise the clocks had changed!!

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post

Well said Wibble x

What a very poor excuse. Oh and if the inspector was hoping to find a cm over numbers for the school run why not wait till school time? I have 1 child arrive at 7 but the others arent here till after 8. I'm sure others are similar. Im never over numbers but how would a 7am visit give any clarification?
    I have no children at 7am except my own, first mindee arrived at 8am. Any inspector coming at 7 would find my kids either in bed or in various states of dress/undress and my DH wandering around in his underwear-enough to put anyone off coming in lol !!! No way would an inspector be getting in at that time of day

Post Thanks / Like

I find it very odd, 7am or 8am it's exceptionally unusual, I have never ever heard of this before...which is why I think there is more to it than we know! Who is to say this CM is not eggagerating on fb? I don't know, without all the facts, I don't think it is worth while getting to hung up about it!

6. Likes Koala liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    But if it's not your normal opening hours is it still their legal right? And if you are not happy with who they are - ie can't phone ofsted to check - then surely we are definitely in our right to refuse entry in the interests of safety and security?
    I agree with this - I do not think they have any legal right to enter your home outside of your working hours.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted are our regulator and can inspect us when we are open for business.

If you say that you are open between the hours of 7 am and 6 pm then they can turn up to inspect you at any time during those hours.

If you refuse them entry they can ask the police to back them up - and the police have wide ranging powers of entry.

You can delay them by saying you want to ring the office and check they are who they say they are - that is your right - but you cannot refuse entry in working hours.

they have a right to check you are working within numbers - to speak to parents as they arrive - to check your home is safe and ready to receive children etc.

There are 2 sides to every story and I'm not sure we are hearing the whole thing on the FB page - but that is the member's prerogative.

Ho hum things are going from bad to worse and panic is spreading

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Ofsted are our regulator and can inspect us when we are open for business.

If you say that you are open between the hours of 7 am and 6 pm then they can turn up to inspect you at any time during those hours.

If you refuse them entry they can ask the police to back them up - and the police have wide ranging powers of entry.

You can delay them by saying you want to ring the office and check they are who they say they are - that is your right - but you cannot refuse entry in working hours.

they have a right to check you are working within numbers - to speak to parents as they arrive - to check your home is safe and ready to receive children etc.

There are 2 sides to every story and I'm not sure we are hearing the whole thing on the FB page - but that is the member's prerogative.

Ho hum things are going from bad to worse and panic is spreading
    Just a question popped into my mind...if a cm decides to ring Ofsted to 'verify' the inspector's identity after checking passes etc, which we know she/he can do ...at what time does Ofsted open its phone lines in the morning? 7 am? never entered my mind to question that.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep wondering how far the inspector travelled, ours are usually a good hour away, that's an early start for the inspector. My alarm goes off at 7 no way would I be answering the door.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Mrs O was doing her job in her sleep, yep sleepwalking!

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TooEarlyForGin?;1320954]She has contacted OFSTED and been told that the inspector had forgotten to change her watch when the clocks changed, which is why she was so early

Clocks changed 3 weeks ago that is such a poor excuse has she only got one clock, I wouldn't even be up at that time she would be standing around for quite a while
    Last edited by cathtee; 18-11-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    Cath

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could someone clarify is it acceptable to turn ofsted away if you are having a day off and will not have any mindees in your house that day? Its my birthday tomorrow and im not working. .. now have visions of ofsted turning up unannounced lol. Im going shopping for the day and whilst I would be happy to let them in and explain myself I would not be prepared to give up my days plans! Would that be acceptable?

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like this clarified too please. I had an ofsted 'compliance' person knock unannounced once while my business was closed(holidays), and she told me I had to let her in. I would love to know for sure where we stand on this...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Porridge View Post
    I would like this clarified too please. I had an ofsted 'compliance' person knock unannounced once while my business was closed(holidays), and she told me I had to let her in. I would love to know for sure where we stand on this...
    My understanding is that if it's a compliance visit you have to let them in, whether you're working or not.

I would like to know if you have to let them in on days you're not working. I'd certainly be really angry if I had to have an inspection when I had no children here. I wouldn't be able to maintain my current grade, but it wouldn't be because of anything I could control.

16. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

My understanding is that if it's a compliance visit you have to let them in, whether you're working or not.

I would like to know if you have to let them in on days you're not working. I'd certainly be really angry if I had to have an inspection when I had no children here. I wouldn't be able to maintain my current grade, but it wouldn't be because of anything I could control.
    At the beginning of the year I had an inspection, Mrs O called to say she would be here tomorrow I told her I had no children that dau, by chance holidays overlapped, so she said fine no point inspecting you, will come following week...

I don't know what is standard practice, but as inspectors tend to inspect in morning and write report in the afternoon, if it doesn't suit them coming back, they may not be the flexible!

As always with ofsted there are inconsistencies. Am I right in thinking inspectors are not really employed, they are freelance?! I'm sure I have read that on here before...
    That may explain why ever experience on here differs so much!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was inspected for a compliance visit (if that means following a complaint) and she still rang in advance to check I was going to be there.
    Yes I believe they are all freelance but have extensive training first.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted open at 9. I've waited often enough!

I also see no reason to disbelieve the Facebook childminders story regardless if she was over numbers or not.
    She had decided to believe the Ofsted woman story about the watch and not submit a complaint I believe.
    I am shocked they can literally force an entry. I didn't realise that. I have always told my assistants if I am away never to let anyone in on any account.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    Ofsted open at 9. I've waited often enough!

I also see no reason to disbelieve the Facebook childminders story regardless if she was over numbers or not.
    She had decided to believe the Ofsted woman story about the watch and not submit a complaint I believe.
    I am shocked they can literally force an entry. I didn't realise that. I have always told my assistants if I am away never to let anyone in on any account.
    thank you for confirming that...
    We still have not had anything to clarify if Ofsted can carry 'spot checks' and what are they exactly?

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

2 Inspections ago (6years now) I was contacted by Mrs O who announced she was coming the following day, Friday, as she was "doing this area this week".
    I told her I didn't Have children on a Friday until after school, as my only EYFS at that point was part time, the others having gone into Reception that term. Could we re-schedule for a different day the following week.
    She said No and that if I didn't have any pre-schoolers there for the inspection then she could only inspect for the older children so I would have to come off the Register to look after the younger ones. I tried to talk her into re-scheduling but she was adamant that it was tomorrow or nothing!
    I had to phone my part timers Mum and ask her to ask me to do an emergency cover with the lo so that she was there for the Inspection. She was fine about it but lo wasn't as she was expecting to go swimming with her Gran, so she played up, I was cross and stressed and the Inspector was a really unpleasant woman!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is my worry as well...

It appears that it is up to the inspector - some will come back and some won't.

However, if it's a compliance visit and that turns into a full inspection then you have no choice...

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    2 Inspections ago (6years now) I was contacted by Mrs O who announced she was coming the following day, Friday, as she was "doing this area this week". I told her I didn't Have children on a Friday until after school, as my only EYFS at that point was part time, the others having gone into Reception that term. Could we re-schedule for a different day the following week. She said No and that if I didn't have any pre-schoolers there for the inspection then she could only inspect for the older children so I would have to come off the Register to look after the younger ones. I tried to talk her into re-scheduling but she was adamant that it was tomorrow or nothing! I had to phone my part timers Mum and ask her to ask me to do an emergency cover with the lo so that she was there for the Inspection. She was fine about it but lo wasn't as she was expecting to go swimming with her Gran, so she played up, I was cross and stressed and the Inspector was a really unpleasant woman!!!
    There's no way that's right I would have certainly been putting a complaint in .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast