Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Oh yes ive done that' child

Starting to become a challenge and not sure what to do

6 yo girl everything that is discussed she says I've done that, after a few subtle questions it us clear she hasn't! I think she does it to have sense of control. She likes to try to dictate what we do and when. Eg what's for snack, I say crackers apples, I don't like that can we have toast. No it's crackers or nothing. Now other children I want toast. Or can we go home yet? No not yet we are waiting for xxx she says oh I want to go!

Becoming a problem as other children are getting annoyed with her. Ok me too!
    One child going to French class - she says I've done that I didn't like it Spanish is better. I say we'll give it a chance maybe you will like it. Other child now put off as thinks its bit very good.
    I've tried saying to her 'other children don't like it when you have your bossy head on' no change.

Any suggestions what I can say, how to deal - trying to be nice but feel I need to be firmer and more direct with her. She is a smart cookie and age 'gets' things quite easily.
    Should I tell parents?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a child similar - everything anyone else had done he had to go one better, one bigger, one higher he couldn't see that the other children got fed up and didn't like it.

I met dad once and realised where it came from

If that's the child's personality I'm not sure you can change it - but you can ask them to consider others before making remarks - and keep reminding them.

Hugs xx

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 3year old who used to tell me that she was better at everything than everyone!
    Very irritating indeed, but it was like listening to her mother, so not the child's fault.
    Mum used to tell her she was wonderful at everything.....taking the praise and encouragement thing a little too far in my opinion!
    Lo now gone to nursery, thank heavens for small mercies!!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My five year old mindee is the same. Every toy she plays with, she's played with one better at home etc, every time we do crafts hers is the best.
    She also constantly tries to talk for my own 2 year old DS (even though he's a great talker himself) and tell me what he wants to do or play with (ie what SHE wants to do or play with) and it's getting to the point where I can't help but just ignore her when she's being bossy and a show off, as I have come to think that she's only doing it for attention, so therefore if she doesn't get any attention, she won't do it?

I also wonder if it's a trait of children that age? My niece is exactly the same. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it to be honest!

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3 year old mindee like this and I just keep asking her how things she says may make others feel, how would she feel and try to encourage her to think how it would make her feel before she says things x

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. Ill give it a go.

Would you tell parents?

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a girl in my dd's class like this, she is 10 now and is loosing friends because of it. She used to be part of dd's group of 5 girls who had always been in the same class but they are slowly breaking away from her. They have mostly chosen not to include her in birthday plans etc and if you ask they say they don't like her. Her mother is exactly the same! It is quite sad but we can't force them to be friends with her.