Hi there :-)

I urgently need some advice about a 'situation' a close friend is in and how (potentially) it could affect my Childminding business and what I should do to protect my family and myself...
Sorry - long post - please bear with me.

We (DH, myself and my 2 kids) have become close friends with another family who live near us. Our kids have regular play dates, we go on camping weekends together, help each other with school pickups (own kids only) etc. Mrs is the main earner and Mr has been stay at home Dad for the last few years and hence I have spent quite a bit of time with him as he is the kids main carer. Until recently we have all had a lovely friendship. Regular visits to each others houses - including when minded children are present (always noted in visitors book),

BUT... over the summer Mr started behaving really oddly, all hyper and silly one moment and then turning depressed and 'ill' the next. Going missing, late picking kids up, sometimes forgetting completely. Beat Mrs up on one occasion (and was thrown out). All very strangely out of character and deeply worrying. Mrs has been very upset and I have helped her by looking after her kids while she's sorted things out with Mr.

It's now gone from bad to worse - apparently Mr has a Cocaine and alcohol addiction. It has been going on for at least two years but she has only just found out. But it explains the erratic behaviour. He is in a lot of debt also.

Mrs has now temporarily kicked him out. He is currently living with his Mum in another town and supposed to be sorting himself out with drug and alcohol counselling. Due back home in a week or so. I am helping Mrs as much as I can and have offered to have her kids after school to help her out (she works full time and after school club is full).

So... what do I do when Mr comes back?
It has now occurred to me that I need to protect my family, myself and my business. How can I do this at the same time as helping out a friend who badly needs support? Should I inform anyone?

Really really worried and can't sleep :-(
Advice please about the CM aspects of this situation (the addiction advice is forthcoming elsewhere).

Thank you x