help with 18m old child please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help with 18m old child please

hi sorry to hijack your thread but I need some help and as its my 1st time on here not sure how to post a new thread!!
    can someone give me some advice on what to do wiith a child that is 18months and is potted from the top of her leg to her toes, would any of you still let her come to the setting, bearing in mind we have other childrens of the same age and after schoolers in our care. I'm really at a loss whether to allow her to come or not. please any advice??

<admin moved your post to a new thread>
    Last edited by Rick; 13-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to sit down and risk assess
    Write a list of the risk then what you could do to reduce the risks, is it resolved to a position you feel confident for the child to attend?

I've not had one in plaster myself but did a work experience stint in the hospital with children in full casts, they were amazing adapted really quickly to the cast.

3. Likes mandyb liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot depends on how long this will be for? Is it permanent or temporary?
    Blondes have more fun!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mandyb View Post
    hi sorry to hijack your thread but I need some help and as its my 1st time on here not sure how to post a new thread!!
    can someone give me some advice on what to do wiith a child that is 18months and is potted from the top of her leg to her toes, would any of you still let her come to the setting, bearing in mind we have other childrens of the same age and after schoolers in our care. I'm really at a loss whether to allow her to come or not. please any advice??

<admin moved your post to a new thread>
    I am not quite sure what 'potted' means ?

If she/he has a temporary disability it is up to you to judge how to include this child....why would you exclude her?

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

I am not quite sure what 'potted' means ?

If she/he has a temporary disability it is up to you to judge how to include this child....why would you exclude her?
    Because she might be worried Simona that she can not meet this child's and the other children's needs now, and that they may need more attention than she is able to give. I believe she was asking for help, not for you to make a judgement about her.

I would discuss with parents that you will try it for a few days and see if the child is managing. If you feel afterwards that this child needs more 1-1 care at this time then sit back down with parents for a chat. If you did decide you couldn't offer care then I don't think you could expect her to pay you for the time off and be prepared that they might not come back once they have other arrangements in place. Good luck

7. Likes hectors house, rickysmiths, mandyb liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I also am unsure by what exactly you mean by potted, but at a group I go to there is a child aged 18m-2yrs ish who has plastic like brace supports up to above her knees (not sure of the medical term) and she is very able in getting around a little slower to stand up but hardly noticeable and joins in with the other kids in running round. I would speak to the parents and find how much it restricts her movements and how well she manages with them. I wouldn't not allow a child to attend my setting unless I didn't think I was able to provide the care they needed.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think potted just means in plaster.

10. Likes hectors house, shortstuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, the child has a soft cast on for 4 weeks due to a crack in her tibia and fibea. The child needs 1 to 1 care as she isn't allowed to put any weight on it for 4 weeks. As I have other children of the same age in my setting who probably don't understand the implications of jumping on her, I wondered what other cm's would do
    I myself think it's a h&s issue, and the needs of all the other children also need to be met

Post Thanks / Like

she'll be in the soft cast for 4 weeks, she can get around absolutely fine, as long as she stays on the floor as she isn't allowed to put weight on it, but that isn't the issue, there will be other children of the same age in attendance and they could jump on her, or run into her. As her leg is in a soft cast, this could cause her more injury.
    The needs of the other children still need to be met, which if i'm giving 1 to 1 to the LO im not fulfilling my role to them.
    I only asked for advice what others would do, didn't ask to be judged about my capabilities as a CM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeMoment View Post
    I think a lot depends on how long this will be for? Is it permanent or temporary?
    For 4 weeks, she cracked her tibia and fibia

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a chat with parents about requirements and how long the child might be in plaster for, risk assess then decide if you can meet the child's needs

Then settling in and see how it goes

15. Likes mandyb liked this post