has anyone minded totally breast fed baby?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default has anyone minded totally breast fed baby?

I have baby coming in January. I already mind his brothers. Baby will be 10months in January, he is still breast fed on demand although he also has 3 meals a days on top. He doesnt take a dummy or a bottle so mummy is beginning to offer water in a cup.

I thought Mummy intended to stop breast feeding by Christmas but yesterday she tells me she intends to let baby decide and if need be will feed morning and evening when she returns to work

Am I worrying too much? My concern is that he feeds alot, often for over an hour and uses the breast for comfort. How will I comfort him?

Does anyone have experience of similar?

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a little girl with downs she was breast fed she came to me about 12 months she wouldn't eat or drink all day just wanted mummy
    Took a long time to get her to drink water or spoon feed mum worked 40 miles away so couldn't pop home In time got better
    Maybe as long as child is eating 3 meals and drinking should be ok
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would make sure you start having settling in sessions as soon as possible and try to get the lo to take water from a cup or bottle - he may not take it from mum as he knows he can have milk instead. I had one start who wouldn't take a bottle, so only fluids he had during the day were from a sip from beaker when eating solids - I made sure he had a spoonful of solids alternated with sip of water as his mum was very worried and wanted me to record his fluid intake each day. I wish these mums would plan in advance for going back to work - my daughter went back when her son was just 8 weeks old, but she made sure that she could express milk and that he would take it in a bottle.

4. Likes Koala, ziggy liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a few years ago...
    Babe was 6 months and had just started weaning process, wouldn't take expressed milk from a bottle but would take water from a beaker...
    Was hard going to start with as comforting the child was difficult, however within a couple of months babe and I had got into a good routine and the more she was being weaned the easier it became.

You may find if its a struggle you'll just have to persevere
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one who was 9 months and fully breastfed with three meals a day. As mum knew she would be going back to work she had got the baby used to taking expressed milk from a bottle and she fed her twice during the 'working day' rather than on demand so this was no problem to me at all - just gave her the bottles of expressed milk and kept a spare in the freezer at all times.

However, if this child is not used to taking a bottle and is BF on demand then I can see a few problems as he prob uses the BF as a comforter and is likely to get quite upset without it - maybe ask mum if she can reduce the feeds or expresses more in the month before he comes to you so it is not such a shock on the child?

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one come at 5 1/2 months, never taken a bottle in his life!! Completely refused to take any drinks at all from bottle, cup, spoon, anything-not even expressed breast milk, he would hold it in his mouth if I spooned it in then spit it out!! Was a nightmare to settle but we got there eventually. Got his little sister last year at 7 months and thankfully mum had got the message and started her taking bottles from an early age so by the time she came to me she was happy taking them.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very important for mum to make sure baby is prepared for childcare and this includes feeding, I am a big advocate of breastfeeding but I am a bigger fan of making sure baby is prepared for the transition to childcare if that is what has been planned.

In my earlier years of childminding I had a parent who breast fed, the child would hold out totally with food and drink, It got me really worried and frustrated and mum never said a word, I only found out because I went out in to the street 5 mins after pick up and there she was sat in her car breast feeding I find it ridiculous and quite sad that babes are not prepared for care, it doesn't make for a happy, healthy child. IMO.

Just re iterate to mum that if babe is breast feed and not prepared it wont help the transition because I presume you are not able to breast feed!

9. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have, it can work!

For comfort, dare I say it, but a dummy might be the answer... I know, I know, it's a big no-no for lots of people, but for a couple of months it won't impact hugely on speech development, especially if used with caution, and if baby is bf for comfort, then a cuddle and a dummy may work. I have found that holding the baby in the bf postition, but with a dummy can be as comforting - not always, but often!

Alternatively you can take the line that we do things differently here! Baby will learn to be comforted one way by you and the booby way with Mum.

By ten months, and on three meals, I'd say you've no need to worry about liquid intake - you can achieve lots with watery foods, and if babe bf's as mum drops off and again when mum picks up, I'm sure that side of things will be covered.

11. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of my mindees was 9m when she started with me and still breast fed at home. The only problem I had was settling her to sleep as she was used to breastfeeding to sleep and co-sleeping but snuggled up in pushchair and me rocking she went off very quickly

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for replies.

We were at soft play today and I sat and held baby for a good 30mins, I could see mummy was looking bit jealous but poor child is in for such a shock in January.

willl mention today that he really needs to get used to using a cup and have already mentioned I want to do settling sessions in December.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    thank you for replies.

We were at soft play today and I sat and held baby for a good 30mins, I could see mummy was looking bit jealous but poor child is in for such a shock in January.

willl mention today that he really needs to get used to using a cup and have already mentioned I want to do settling sessions in December.
    Oh my, it's really hard when mummy gets jealous, GOOD LUCK prepare for a rocky road and you might me surprised

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lo started in August. Still Brest fed and didn't sleep unless Brest fed. For the first 3weekd s total nightmare. Screamed most of the time. Didn't sleep and good was sort of baby led but no effort put into it. Now can get him to sleep when do tired he nearly falls over. But when happy such a joy to have around. He drinks water from z cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    I have a lo started in August. Still Brest fed and didn't sleep unless Brest fed. For the first 3weekd s total nightmare. Screamed most of the time. Didn't sleep and good was sort of baby led but no effort put into it. Now can get him to sleep when do tired he nearly falls over. But when happy such a joy to have around. He drinks water from z cup.
    Glad he is settling Jackie

Post Thanks / Like

I looked after a 4 month old who was still breast fed. Mum worked 5 mins away and would come in her lunch hour to do a midday feed, which was all she needed, along with weaning. I was happy to do this, mum only did it for a couple of months

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum
    Mandy xx

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

mines 12 months and he was fully breastfed and she weaned him off before starting but he is a real moany boots. we are in week 7 and he is showing signs of some improvement but he has cried all day non stop etc. He came right at the clingy stage too.
    Last edited by angeldelight; 18-10-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serin View Post
    mines 12 months and he was fully breastfed and she weaned him off before starting but he is a real moany boots. we are in week 7 and he is showing signs of some improvement but he has cried all day non stop etc. He came right at the clingy stage too.

!

I agree with the people who say that breast fed babies need to be prepared for childcare - this is so true. Breast fed babies - well all babies really behave the way they do because of how they have been cared for since birth. If a baby has always fallen asleep on the breast, of course it will be difficult to settle without - that isn't the babies fault, it doesn't know any different. Parents need to work on that - as childminders taking on ANY baby it is our duty to ensure that parents know what they could do to help and maybe give some advice on how to try to prepare their child. It's called working in partnership. I'd be furious if my childminder or anybody for that matter called my child what you have.
    Last edited by angeldelight; 18-10-2013 at 10:47 PM.

20. Likes FloraDora, FizzWizz, TNT liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Last edited by angeldelight; 18-10-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

All My babies have been bottle fed by the time they have come to me...

As the mother of a child who was breastfed....I can say..he gave up his dummy at 3 months simply refused and never wanted it again. At 4 months refused to drink expressed milk from a bottle and it took about countless different beakers over months before I managed to get him to drink water.

Also as they thought he may have milk intolerance I was advised to breast feed up until 1.

he wasn't in childcare till he was 18 months old and when he did they got him to sleep rubbing his back.by this time he was breastfed through the night not during the day.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a lo since he was 6 months and was still being breast fed on demand, was carried in a sling 90% of the time, co slept (still does I think...) and often fell asleep on mum as he was being fed. He was fine when he came to me: Mum got him used to being bottle fed by expressing milk and Dad feeding while she went out occasionally in the evenings, had him chewing/sucking on lots of different chunky foods (baby led weaning) and expressed lots and lots of milk for me to store in the freezer.
    He wasn't keen to sleep at any kind of set time at first, but I introduced a routine where I gave milk to drink at same time each day, popped into the buggy with a dummy (hardly ever used by Mum, just occasionally by Dad if mum was out and couldn't get him settled) put sunshade over and turned on a music and lights toy that I hung on the hood. He took to it within a few days Is over 2 yrs now, still naps as and when at home and still breastfed when he wants it . A very happy little fella.

My own son on the other hand wouldn't take my milk, formula, juice, water, nothing! ..not from a bottle, not from a cup or a spoon and not for anyone. I left him with a childminder while I went to college, but he just refused milk all day long. Seemed happy etc, joined in with things, just refused all liquids. It was only a few hours a day but I felt dreadful and was exhausted as he wanted to feed almost constantly when I was at home including through the night so had to give up college... then again he was only a few months old. I'd have been happier to leave him and he'd have needed less breast-milk if he'd been fully weaned before I left him I think. He certainly knew how to wrap me round his little finger

This lo will be a lot older and you have plenty of time to keep working with Mum to make sure he is prepared for the changeover. I hope it works out for everyone