Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I feel bad even though it's not my fault

Hi all, I will keep this brief, I signed up two siblings the other week for before and after school on an as and when required basis as this suits me.... cut along story short I sat down with mum and completed a calendar of dates and times ... I issued dad an invoice last Thursday with days and dates for this week which state Thursday am and pm and Friday am only ... mum knocked on door tonight at 5pm to collect, I told her I had not collected them and she never once mentioned Wednesday collection and I had given the children's dad an invoice with dates and time on for this week, thankfully the children were okay and had been kept at school. Spoke to mum on phone and stated I had found the calendar we had completed and I had checked the invoice and it clearly states days and times, she said she never seen it and it has happened now and she will text to check I have collected in future, ( I don't mind) not once did she admit she may have been wrong, why do I feel like even though I know I am not responsible.
    Thanks for reading x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear..... i would make sure you show her the calendar when she comes so she knows it was her error!
    Did school not ring to see where she was?

Dont feel bad because its not your fault which you already know but i would make mum well aware that it was her fault before she puts the blame on you. Ask her to check the invoice each month also
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

3. Likes watgem liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't beat yourself up about it, if she can't check what days she has arranged with you to collect the children then its her mistake not yours,
    You've got it in black and white so are following her instructions why can't she just admit she got it wrong.
    Cath

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

The school should really be phoning you should they not?

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greanan View Post
    The school should really be phoning you should they not?
    they were just about to start gathering information about contacts when mum arrived to collect, and I wouldn't expect a phone call from the school as I am only doing days as and when required as mum will collect 70% of the time

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

I am shocked that the school kept a child till 5pm without contacting parent to be honest

8. Likes watgem, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I would be ringing contacts after 30 minutes of non collection

10. Likes watgem liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant get my head round why a school would wait that long before trying to make contact!? I once messed up and didn't collect my own ds as I thought there was after school club but there wasn't school had called me 10 minutes after collection time to see where I was ( I did feel very embarrassed and couldn't stop apologising!)

12. Likes watgem liked this post
    Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any chance that the kids were in an after school club til say half 4, and/or the school had actually called Dad? I know I always give schools the benefit of the doubt as an ex teacher (in the first instance anyway, if further information reveals that they have messed up then I'll complain about them quite merrily!) but I doubt that any teachers/staff would happily babysit a couple of children for up to 2 hours without finding out what was going on!

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emra81 View Post
    Is there any chance that the kids were in an after school club til say half 4, and/or the school had actually called Dad? I know I always give schools the benefit of the doubt as an ex teacher (in the first instance anyway, if further information reveals that they have messed up then I'll complain about them quite merrily!) but I doubt that any teachers/staff would happily babysit a couple of children for up to 2 hours without finding out what was going on!
    I know our school would phone within 10-15 minutes of the bell if no-one had picked a child up

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

i had the same problem last Friday ,parents gave list of days the week before and mindees not due to be picked up only taken to school.
    school phoned us to say she had not been picked up we did go back and pick her up and explained to the school that parents should have picked up.

parent collected at usual time was very sorry that she had mixed dates/times up

school had not phoned Mum as mindee had said we were picking her up so they only phoned us

luckly we only live in a village and only 5 minutes from the school

cathy

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll find this type of thing is more common than you realise...
    I had a family where I used to collect their two girls from school, I had no other children at that school so when they didn't need me I didn't go to the school.
    I had mum do a calender with me for the next two weeks rota, I wasn't due to collect and at 6pm mum phones me ranting about why I didn't bother collecting them from school and that her elderly mother had been called out by the school to collect - on looking at the calender that (she had signed) I wasn't supposed to collect, she didn't take the fact that it was her fault very well and within 2 weeks they had gone elsewhere!!
    lucky escape...

Although I understand how you are feeling because I felt terrible, and even got to the point where I questioned myself
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

17. Likes Straws liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Write it up as am incident, even if it wasn't your day - just for records
    Debbie

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an irate mum on the phone once asking why I hadn't picked up her lo from pre-school. It was shift work contract as dad was in the police and it was his day to collect. He had forgotten and was having his hair cut! At least she did say sorry though

June 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, spoke to mum this morning and she advised the after school club had them... I have printed off a calendar with times and dates for the next three months and asked her to complete sign and return and I will issue a photocopy... on the walk around school this morning the eldest child asked why I had not collected them and that I should have text mum to confirm LOL ... makes me look right incompetent as no way would mum admit the mistake was down to her ( she's a police officer btw) if she had checked her invoice in the first place which I issued last Thursday it would have been spotted if she required collection on a wednesday.
    Thanks for all your replies glad its not just me it happened to lol xx
    Last edited by Straws; 10-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.