Slight problem I want a bit of advice on please!
My dd is in y1 and is only just 5 (August baby) and her class had their 1st spelling test last week in which she did really well and got 8 out of 8, which put her on a table with children almost a year older than her.
Great we thought, she loved her table as her 3 best friends sat there with her and all was well until Friday.
The class had their second spelling test, and when I picked her up from school when we got home she said 'I got 5 out of 8 but I got upset on the 6th spelling and cried so my teacher said I didn't have to do the test'
I felt awful for her as she did know the words but got so upset even when telling me about it, I tried to phone school to see what happened by they had closed for the day by then
So I open her reading book and see the following comment
T got upset during today's spelling test so I have made the decision to move her down a group to the Bizzy Bees as I'd rather she experienced success than get upset.
Fine , we thought, we're happy if she is and I'd rather she was in a group suited to her level than feel out of her depth. But I did think her teacher could have rang me, or spoken to me after school just to mention it and it was a little harsh after one test, but that's the teachers decision not ours
So I said to T 'are you happier being in the Bizzy Bees?'
'Yes because it's easier, but I'm sad I'm not in the SuperStar group anymore. I'm not a Super Star'
Turns out (after speaking to another 2 parents of kids in y1) that they have 4 groups in order from lowest to highest level: Caterpillars, Ladybirds, Bizzy Bees and Superstars
Is it me or is this wrong?! I didn't know when she was in the Superstar group that was called that! And to hear her say I'm not a Super Star anymore is heart breaking. She is a super star! She's a lovely girl with a heart of gold, who tries so hard in everything she does. Who says knowing some words makes you a Super star anyway?!
Tomorrow morning I'll be asking her teacher what happened during test and if she was ok, but do I mention this Super Star group business? Or will I sound bitter because she's not in it anymore so now I have a problem with what the groups called.
I didn't know when she was in it and I still don't think it'd sit right with me even if she went back in a group that seems so blatantly superior to other insect groups! Also I don't want her friends at school saying Oh we're Superstars and you're not because you've been moved down! Helpppppp am I just being over sensitive?!