Not CM related but..
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Glad it's not just me. I really don't mind the moving down thing, in fact we thought with her being the youngest it was a lot of pressure for her to be in top group but the Super Star thing is really niggling at me, has been all weekend. Name the groups insects but name them ALL insects! It'd be like us grouping our kids we look after into sets and calling the morning group group the Fantastic Ones and the others the Spiders lol And yes it's spelt Bizzy Bees, that was in the note written in her book from her teacher, you're right it should be Busy Bees really So should I say was she ok on Friday, I tried to call but school was shut, I was worried to heard she'd been upset over a test. I don't kind she's moved down group but I'm concerned that its called a super star group and think kids in the class might pick up that she's moved down from a super star to a 'Bizzy' Bee and tease her or something? Also she's been saying at home this weekend to family member I'm not a super star anymore and it just concerns me that she might lose some confidence over this, with it being called that?xx
    Hey lovely,

It broke my heart too reading what your daughter has said. Poor girl!! Just shows you as young as they are they pick up on things like that and these are critical ages to boost self esteem and confidence not stamp all over it!

The teacher may not have given it a thought although you would have hoped she would have! :/ This would stand out like a sore thumb to ofsted!!

Let us know how you get on!! xxx

2. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Unbelievable! The school should be ashamed at allowing a group called superstars when the others are named after insects. It's like something out of the dark ages. I would be complaining to the Head and insisting that this 'bullying' was stopped immediately.
    i agree. I think this is a shocking way of denting children's wellbeing. if the head doesn't take it seriously I would write a formal complaint to the governors. I'd like to know what Ofsted thought of that at their last visit.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

When my dd was in year 1 she came home one day from school and we were chatting and I said do you sit with daisy at school (her best friend) and my dd said no daisy sits on the orange table and I sit on the green table oh I said, why are you on different tables is because you chat a lot (there very giggly) no my dd said the orange table is where the clever children sit, how do you know that I say and my dd said because our teacher tells us so.... Is it me?. X

dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the teacher did this. I was an infant teacher for years before I became a childminder and none of the teachers I worked with would have dreamt of doing such a thing. My groups changed names depending on our class topic and the children helped choose them. My maths groups were usually shape names but I never had 'stars' because of the connotations. If a child ever suggested it my answer was always no because you're all stars. At that age its about building up their self esteem and confidence and getting them to foster a love for learning.Yes they might work out they're not in the top group but they would never have heard it from me. I would definitely go and speak to the head.

7. Likes Maza, The Juggler liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Still havent said anything more, how would i word it to Head? I dont want them thinking i'm kicking off because I'm a pushy parent or being sour because she's been moved! The more I read all the comments the more I'm convinced it IS wrong though, and how can she not see that. Not one person has said oh well maybe its ok!
    To top it all off my dd has been very teary this week, and not wanting to go to school, I dont think its related, just thinks shes a bit run down and tired but it could be
    Kelly xx

Post Thanks / Like

I would just ask to arrange meeting with head, say you had a brief conversation with teacher but her response didn't satisfy you, and you just want to get it off your chest because it is affecting your DD well being. Don't feel you are ever in the wrong for voicing your concerns!
    X

10. Likes Maza, AliceK liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell the Head exactly what you told us - that you don't want to come across as a pushy parent or someone who has the hump because her DD has moved groups but something just doesn't quite sit right with the names of the groups. As a Head it is part of her job to have parents come into her office voicing their concerns and so she will be used to it, even if you're not. Good luck. My hubby is also outraged by the way! x

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Arranged to see her tomorrow morn as I'm not working. Nervous lol but determined its unacceptable and after speaking to two parents at school they've said to quote them as being 'disgusted' and they're willing to come with me tomorrow
    Teacher now ignores me each morning even though I smile and say hi, so going to tell Head that too, that she's obviously taken offence that I've questioned her, I didn't even say anything bad, I didn't shout or anything, she's being ridiculous!x
    Kelly xx

Post Thanks / Like

Well done you are doing the right thing! X

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! Write it down in bullet points to prompt you if you think you will get nervous. You have to let us know how you get on. x

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: Head cancelled meeting and said I have to raise issue at parents evening on the 10th of Oct!
    Kelly xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am gobsmacked. None of the Head teachers I have worked for would have done that (cancelling is one thing because things come up, but she/he is basically refusing to see you now. Does she mean bring it up with the class teacher at Parents Eve or with herself? You HAVE brought it up with the teacher and didn't get anywhere. I am shocked by the Head's behaviour. x

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She's given me a later time so she can be there at meeting. It's all a kerfuffle lol, makes me wish I'd not said anything!
    But then is that what she's trying to do, put me off. Another 2 parents complained yesterday about the grouping and Superstar business so I'm glad it's not only me
    I think they're being really defensive to any critics lately because they got marked down a few months ago from Outstanding to Requires Improvement, which is silly because I'm not complaining about how they run the school or anything, just raising, or trying to raise, a concern about the naming of the y1 groups! You'd think I was trying to get them shut down or something!
    Feel disheartened with it all and made to feel a bit childlike by the teacher and Head, if it wasn't so important to me and my daughter I'd just let it go but I'm determined to have my say, more so because they obviously don't want me to x
    Kelly xx

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a horrible thing to do. I thought my sons school was bad. He also was 5 in August and now has a spelling test every week. We have had a letter yesterday saying along with their 10 spellings this week they will get 10 more so they can assess them and move them sets. I find this very harsh after just 2 tests (and he missed one as he was absent) and feel very sorry for my young son. He is very gifted but can not concentrate at 6pm at night when we try to do his spellings with him. He got 3 wrong this week and is now worried he will be moved down.

Post Thanks / Like

The pressure on little ones is horrendous! I must say its a little alarming to hear a school being bumped down from outstanding to special requirements, that's one heck of a drop! They seem incapable of working in partnership with parents!

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keep going with this, you are doing the right thing for your DD and every other year 1 child. If the head refuses to see you (I'm not clear if that's what's happened or not) then complain to the governors about Head's refusal AND the group names. Make it official: I want to make an official complaint, please may I have a copy of your complaints policy?

23. Likes kellyskidz!, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please be very careful with this, I can see where it is headed.. There will be you at the parents meeting and the two of them! Make sure you take someone with you. I complained about something similar in my dds school and it escalated exactly like this, culminating in head taking teachers side, teacher then had it in for our daughter and took it upon herself to tell our daughter when we had a sudden family bereavement, in the end we felt our card was marked and moved schools., please don't misunderstand me I am not saying this will
    Happen to you or that you shouldn't stand up for your dd (absolutely right!) but do be aware of how it can pan out.. Our boards of governors includes the principal so it wasn't any good going that route

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    Please be very careful with this, I can see where it is headed.. There will be you at the parents meeting and the two of them! Make sure you take someone with you. I complained about something similar in my dds school and it escalated exactly like this, culminating in head taking teachers side, teacher then had it in for our daughter and took it upon herself to tell our daughter when we had a sudden family bereavement, in the end we felt our card was marked and moved schools., please don't misunderstand me I am not saying this will
    Happen to you or that you shouldn't stand up for your dd (absolutely right!) but do be aware of how it can pan out.. Our boards of governors includes the principal so it wasn't any good going that route
    Omg never thought of that but its obvious now, probably explains why she won't see me alone! Even if that's not the case, it might be. Going to ask my oh to book a day off. He's more vocal than me anyway and doesn't suffer fools gladly! Thanks 4 that Hun!xxx
    Kelly xx

26. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post

Omg never thought of that but its obvious now, probably explains why she won't see me alone! Even if that's not the case, it might be. Going to ask my oh to book a day off. He's more vocal than me anyway and doesn't suffer fools gladly! Thanks 4 that Hun!xxx
    Take a paper and pen in case u need to record anything down xx

28. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, remember that the Head cannot be seen to reprimand a teacher in front of you, so although it may look like she isn't taking you seriously at the meeting, or doing anything about it, you don't know what goes on behind the scenes and the teacher may get a rollicking when you are not there.

It's great that two other parents complained.
    If it was me who had named the groups as an oversight and then had it pointed out to me I would just change the names, what's the big deal? She is making it a bigger issue, not you. x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast