Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    I do use wrist strap and child holds onto buggy. I was told that should you hold a child's hand and hand is higher than their waist we are committing physical abuse
    Debbie
    Good grief!!!!! Who on earth came up with that one? I've even seen a recent CBeebies program explaining to children the importance of holding their grown-ups hand!

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two 3yr olds who are very good at walking and holding on to the buggy. But last week I was bit concerned at speed cars and lorries were passing us as we walked to park. Think i am going to use wrist straps again just to be on the safe side. You never know when a young child may just run out or even step into the road (where path is narrow)

My daughter is 23 (same age James Bulger would have been). I had her on reins in town few months after he was murdered and a friend made a comment about fact she wouldnt put her child on a 'dog lead'. My reply to this was that I'm sure Mrs Bulger wishes she had used reins/wrist strap that day, her child wouldnt have been taken away and would be alive today.

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tazmin I heard that as well, think it might have been from an NCMA meeting years ago and we were told tight hand holding was very bad practice, I've just always used reins while necessary depending on the individual child as I have a mile long walk to school along very busy roads

Post Thanks / Like

We bought several ladybird backpacks very cheaply from amazon, just big enough for a drink or small toy/snack. We don't do a school run or many walks near busy roads on a regular basis but its a good idea to do some 'road training' walks now and again - we use the backpacks for little picnics - and they are loved by all our little ones - even have some 4/5 year olds wanting to squeeze into them - haha -I think they were about £2.50 each - bargain and they look very nice - no need to have 'reins' as such - i agree they don't look nice - Home bargains had some nice backpacks with the straps on last week when I was in there - they were lunch bag rucksacks - suitable for infants/lower juniors at school even and only a couple of quid too. I did contemplate getting myself one to use as an owl lunchbox - haha

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

A boy who I nannied for went to Glastonbury with parents. They were worried about loosing him. He was 9. Reins not a possibility. I suggested his climbing rope. Boy not impressed with me. Parents thought it was a good idea. Boy said he had been in crowds before so not a problem. He got there and asked for rope around his waist. He felt so safe also dad said great for pulling him out of mud.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I dislike reins and haven't used them so far. 1-2 year olds hold my hand when they are walking, and 3-4 year olds walk independently but hold a hand or the pushchair to cross roads or beside a busy road. However, I now have 2x 1 year olds and may have to consider using reins.

I saw three nursery staff in town this afternoon with nine children, four in Phil&Teds buggies and five on reins. They were beautifully behaved but I did feel a little sorry for them, it didn't look like they were having much fun.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it was ofsted. The school that I go to is only a footpath away from a very busy A road and 2 years ago a child ran out of school gates hit by a car and was in a wheelchair for a few months. I would not take the risk.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad it's not just me that insists on reins. My son is 3yo and a 'runner' so he wears them too!
    Sweetpea x

Post Thanks / Like

I use reins where it dangerous. I'm all for free spirits but safety first. I'm sure parents would prefer this way too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12