Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling useless

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I posted here a few weeks ago about a child in meltdown at pickup, I was given some good advice which I have been sticking to and it is working, if the child cannot cope for whatever reason with a handover where they behave reasonably then lead the child who is ready to go, to the door with you for handover so they are just off and out and you can shut your door. I feel for you, very stressful!

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    When I posted here a few weeks ago about a child in meltdown at pickup, I was given some good advice which I have been sticking to and it is working, if the child cannot cope for whatever reason with a handover where they behave reasonably then lead the child who is ready to go, to the door with you for handover so they are just off and out and you can shut your door. I feel for you, very stressful!
    This is the only way! Behaviour management techniques are hard to implement when both parent and childminder are present, child will often get confused and behave worse!

A quick hot foot out the door and a sigh of relief upon closing it! is well recommended!!

Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted everyone to know what happened. I sent mum an email expressing my concerns and based this on extensive observations and examples. I included an action plan for managing behaviour. I heard nothing back and thought ok that's it I will give notice. Then another mum told me they had been in park together with their children and when child started to have melt down T's mum was firm and told second mum that 'Isabel says I can't do this any more' Phew! When I did see her she was quite subdued and said they have been following action plan and for one thing they are not getting up in the night when he cries and he just goes back to sleep. In just one week behaviour of mum and child has improved so much. I also followed everyone's advice and have child ready for collection to avoid home time meltdowns. Thanks again. It was a tough time for me and with regards to the sticker situation I will be faster if such a thing happens again I think I was in shock that time.

Dec07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
    I just wanted everyone to know what happened. I sent mum an email expressing my concerns and based this on extensive observations and examples. I included an action plan for managing behaviour. I heard nothing back and thought ok that's it I will give notice. Then another mum told me they had been in park together with their children and when child started to have melt down T's mum was firm and told second mum that 'Isabel says I can't do this any more' Phew! When I did see her she was quite subdued and said they have been following action plan and for one thing they are not getting up in the night when he cries and he just goes back to sleep. In just one week behaviour of mum and child has improved so much. I also followed everyone's advice and have child ready for collection to avoid home time meltdowns. Thanks again. It was a tough time for me and with regards to the sticker situation I will be faster if such a thing happens again I think I was in shock that time.
    That's FAB!! just goes to show, we know more than people give us credit for!
    Well done and long may it continue!! X

01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done xx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great. Love hearing about good out comes

Dec 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooray! How lovely that you got the feedback

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, excellent news. It sounds like mum needed confirmation and reassurance from you that she was allowed to be strict with him. Sometimes parents know what is right but feel so bad about being firm with their child.

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well done thats fab. hard on you but just think what a positive thing you have done to help this child and family. childminding at its best xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe she isn't ignoring you but is just embarrassed. Maybe she feels useless? Sounds like your doing the right things but it must be hard for mums who feel like someone else is doing a better job at taking care of their children. Having him ready at pickup time sounds like a good idea and it's good that your giving mum feedback. Hope things improve soon! X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12