Taking on an assistant... Advice needed please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking on an assistant... Advice needed please

My youngest SIL is turning 16 in a couple of days and expressed an interest in childcare. My MIL is also a childminder but has no plan to expand or develop her business any further, whereas I have now have a long term plan, after much discussion with the "Man of the house" and as much as I wanted to get in to law, with my health issues I think I have to face facts that, that is not an achievable goal for me anymore.

Anyway, we have been chatting about taking on SIL as an assistant, firstly I know I need to get her CRB checked ect, and registered as an assistant, but what else would I need to do. How does it work with paying her and taxes ect (hers and mine)

Any help or guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    My youngest SIL is turning 16 in a couple of days and expressed an interest in childcare. My MIL is also a childminder but has no plan to expand or develop her business any further, whereas I have now have a long term plan, after much discussion with the "Man of the house" and as much as I wanted to get in to law, with my health issues I think I have to face facts that, that is not an achievable goal for me anymore.

Anyway, we have been chatting about taking on SIL as an assistant, firstly I know I need to get her CRB checked ect, and registered as an assistant, but what else would I need to do. How does it work with paying her and taxes ect (hers and mine)

Any help or guidance on this would be much appreciated.
    When I was working with assistants, I employed them (mum and mum-in-law!) and did the whole paying tax and NI to HMRC when they worked a lot...however mostly I only needed help for odd times and days so a lot of the time they were under the threshold...

Some minders have their assistants as self employed tho which makes it a little easier as no taxes to pay and their NI will be paid monthly...
    If you want to go down the employer route, contact HMRC first and get some advice...once you know how to do it, it just becomes something you do without thinking!

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've spoken to Ofsted about this recently and at 16 they can't actually be an assistant - they would be able to observe only.

I would get in touch with Ofsted as they told me minimum age was 17.

Christine

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah707 put this thread today, in regards to age's and the childcare register/early years register. It may clarify the age that your sil would need to be.

Legal definition of a 'child'

01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

I also believe it to be 17 at least x