Another one about ratios.....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another one about ratios.....

My ds is going to Florida for 2 weeks with his dad at the beginning of August. I know normally I have to keep a space free for him for any 'what ifs'. Do I have to in this situation?
    I've got someone asking for 1 weeks care during 1 of the weeks he's away. This will mean I have 6 under 8 (not including my son)
    Would this be allowed? Ds isn't likely to just pop home when he gets bored of his dad

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding would still be No. I am only allowed 5 under 8 at any time as my daughter is removed from the number of 6 if that makes sense. So even if she went on holiday i am still only allowed 5 other children in my care, as she is automatically in my numbers.

I know you say he would not be able to say im coming home, however things can happen at any time, for example your husband may become ill and the holiday has to be cut short as they need to come home. Hopefully that wont happen but it one of the many things that could arise.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that was probably the case. I've said no to the parents but did say I would double check & get back to them tomorrow night if i can do it. I will phone ofsted in the morning. But we all know how helpful they are when it comes to ratios lol

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it is a no and your numbers are 3 under 5 and you are at 5 already and with the next one being new business it isn't continuity of care
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I asked this question of Ofsted in the early stages of variations rules being changed -

The childminder has a child / children of their own within their under 8 ratio. Their child / children stay with their father regularly during the working week or might be on holiday for a week. Can the childminder fill their child’s space?
    Or are the childminder’s own children subject to different rules from childminded children?

Ofsted replied with the following -

Yes if the childminder can prove that their children will not be returned to them during the time they are in the care of someone else.

HOWEVER the person who replied to me is no longer working for Ofsted - and I have no idea whether this is still the case

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah. I will phone ofsted tomorrow and ask them. It's very unlikely that he would come home early.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Well ofsted were as helpful as ever. They told me to refer to the guidelines!

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is an odd one anyway. If my child is at nursery the count in my numbers in case they come home but the only reason they would really come home is sickness in which case I would be ringing parents to collect there children anyway. Don't get it really.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I count him in my numbers when he is at school & when he's at his dads for a week if they're at home. But as he is away & very unlikely to come back I wondered if it was possible to use his place.

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is no too unfortunately as you are automatically one number down regards if child is there or not

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to ofsted again today. They said it is fine as he is with his father who has parental responsibility and I can pretty much guarantee he won't turn up at home & put me over my numbers.
    They suggested I put a plan in place just incase he does come home early.
    I'm going to just put in contract with new parent that in the unlikely event ds comes home early due to illness or any other reason she would have to collect ASAP.

12. Likes Mouse, Bear23 liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsh3103 View Post
    Well ofsted were as helpful as ever. They told me to refer to the guidelines!
    Lol! If they don't know the answer they say 'refer to guidelines' ...being a childminder is so much fun hey

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x