What do I do if i dont think a child is where they should be developmentally?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do I do if i dont think a child is where they should be developmentally?

A three year old I look after is clearly behind in his speech. I've supported mum by going along to a speech therapy drop in with her and I spend lots of time playing face to face & talking with we child. I'm also worried that he seems a bit clumsy, drops large objects that shouldn't be difficult to hold, trips up over his own feet a lot and shuffles his feet along when walking rather than walking as other kids his age. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do or where I should get advice. Mums already quite worried about his speech although she sometimes pretends not to be. I don't want to add to her worries as it might be nothing to worry about regarding his movement but I also don't want to ignore it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMcG View Post
    A three year old I look after is clearly behind in his speech. I've supported mum by going along to a speech therapy drop in with her and I spend lots of time playing face to face & talking with we child. I'm also worried that he seems a bit clumsy, drops large objects that shouldn't be difficult to hold, trips up over his own feet a lot and shuffles his feet along when walking rather than walking as other kids his age. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do or where I should get advice. Mums already quite worried about his speech although she sometimes pretends not to be. I don't want to add to her worries as it might be nothing to worry about regarding his movement but I also don't want to ignore it. Anyone got any suggestions?
    Do you have a development officer? They would probably visit and then make a judgement as to what to do next. Don't try and do it alone

3. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like could be dyspraxia hon.

I would try to have a meeting with mum. you could say as you didn't do a 2 year check with him you'd like to do a short review with her on his progress. I assume most of these things you've noticed won't be a complete surprise to mum?

Just very gently say that he's doing well with this or that, etc, ask her what she is pleased with in his progress. Then ask her if she has noticed any of the dropping, falling, walking etc? See what she says. She may open up allowing a discussion, she may not.

I know you will know this but obviously do not mention any possible conditions. Say most childhood problems do self resolve in time, however, its quite ok to say that you believe it would be a good idea for child to visit a GP/HV just to rule anything out. I would also say that minor issues can usually be easily resolved with early help i.e. speech therapy, physio and the earlier the better.

Good luck. let me know how it goes.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, yes I do have a development officer so I'll give her a call. Thankfully mum has now had little one in for a hearing test & has a speech therapy session booked next week. I think she just wants to do what's best for him but her family & friends seem to have a funny attitude saying that she shouldn't bother doing these things as its just stress for her! How strange. I think we've been so focused on the speech issues that I was trying to ignore the other stuff but he fell over a few times today & doesn't seem to be able to drink out of an open cup without spilling it everywhere nd mum said something today about him falling over a lt. It's a bit scary when you do come across a development issue for the first time and when parents think you're an expert and should know the answers! She's a friend too just to complicate things! Our daughters are good friends at school. Anyway just wan the best for little one so I'll take on board your suggestions and see how it goes

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMcG View Post
    Thanks, yes I do have a development officer so I'll give her a call. Thankfully mum has now had little one in for a hearing test & has a speech therapy session booked next week. I think she just wants to do what's best for him but her family & friends seem to have a funny attitude saying that she shouldn't bother doing these things as its just stress for her! How strange. I think we've been so focused on the speech issues that I was trying to ignore the other stuff but he fell over a few times today & doesn't seem to be able to drink out of an open cup without spilling it everywhere nd mum said something today about him falling over a lt. It's a bit scary when you do come across a development issue for the first time and when parents think you're an expert and should know the answers! She's a friend too just to complicate things! Our daughters are good friends at school. Anyway just wan the best for little one so I'll take on board your suggestions and see how it goes
    if mum is noticing the same things and talkign about them, then def. go down the route of see the HV quickly , rule thiings out, get quick intervention.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

7. Likes Rick liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It does sound very much like dyspraxia.

Do as the Juggler says invite mum in and sit down with mum. She may be thankful of a friendly ear if everyone else is saying not to worry
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

May be good idea to do a review using same format as 2 year development forms - good idea to put something positive that he can do and then put a negative or word it as working towards with ideas for next steps on how he can reach the next milestone. Make sure you put him in the correct age group for his development though as though words are very nice to read, it is sometimes the numbers that make the parents really realise that their child is lagging behind!