Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    This is why I hate modern UPVC door because you have to lock them to stop little ones from escaping. They should be banned.

Give me a good old fashioned wooden door any time. I have Yale locks that dont'r need to be locked to stop people coming in and don't need a key to get out in an emergency. Mind you a small child would have to get a chair to open the door.

I keep the keys in my French doors while I am working I put them in and turn them once so they can't just be pulled out but then I know their are there in an emergency.

You have to be very careful where you keep door keys from an insurance point of view. Insurance Companies do not like them on hooks by the door or on the door.

You should also have a lock or bold or both on any garden gates to stop people wandering in and little ones getting out.
    I glad you posted this RS as my door is a wooden one and the same as yours and i was getting confused. I shut my door and one one can get in and i dont need a key to open it from the inside. So there is no need to double lock it with a key as i do at night time then
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Many years ago when i was a nanny a crawling child pulled himself up on front door, pulled handle and crawled out, his 2yr old brother alerted me to the baby crawling out onto a busy main street!!!!!

I have locked doors ever since, sorry but not worth the risk.

If i'm doing nappy change parents will wait, if i'm in garden I can hear cars in drive and know parent has arrived.

I leave key high up above door so i can find it in an emergency.

Wonder how many mindees over the years have been trapped in house because minder has locked door and not been able to unlock it due to fire, illness etc. Not any to my knowledge but please tell me if i'm wrong.

On a funnier note, man came to read electricity meter when i first started minding and looked a bit concerned as i locked front door as he entered house

Oh I know. I do this all the time. I have an old fashioned wooden front door with a big bolt at the top. It's second nature for me to lock the bolt as soon as I close the door so whoever comes into my house gets locked in. I have had some worried looks in the past.

xxxx

4. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I must admit that I am surprised that the question has been asked. It wouldn't cross my mind to have an unlocked door with a child in the house, even just my own. Kids are unpredictable by nature, so it would surprise me more if they didn't try n get out. And as a parent, I would not be happy to just walk into my childminders home, cos Id be thinking how unsafe that was.

6. Likes AliceK liked this post
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I was a childminder, my DS2, who was just 3 at the time, opened our front door, crossed a side road, and walked up to the local school, looking for daddy who had just taken ds1 to school.

I happened to be in the bath, and on getting out, discovered the front door wide open. I only had a towel on, so went to the street to see if I could see DS, couldn't so went back inside to get some clothes on. In my mad panic I couldn't find a single thing to put on, and was still flinging things about when DH called from the front door, guess who found me at school. I was so relieved.

My door is always always always locked now (although DS2 is now 12 so is allowed to unlocked and opened the door).

8. Likes ziggy, serin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mind from my conservatory so my front door is always locked. The conservatory doors are always unlocked to allow us access to the back garden but the garden gates are locked between 9 and 5. The gates are open between half seven and nine and then again between 5 and half past to allow parents to come in. I do worry about strangers coming in the garden when the gate is unlocked but I daresay if someone wants to get in they would jump over the gate, fence or wall.
    I prefer this open access because I feel that it's safer than leaving the children while I open the front door.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

The electricity man came today Ziggy and I got that EXACT look when I locked the door haha!!

11. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Doors always locked here. I don't know anybody who leaves their front door unlocked. Even if kids are not in the house we lock the door, we watch too many crime dramas to leave them open!

I am also surprised that in your Ofsted inspection she didn't action you for this.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an action on my first ofsted report as a safeguarding issue. Not for not locking the door, but for leaving the key in it. I was told the key should be removed and hung on a hook nearby. I explained that the fire brigade advised to leave the key in the door, just slightly pulled out, to aid a quick escape. I also said that as the child I was minding was only five months old, unable to roll over, never mind scale the stair gate, reach the handle, hold it up, turn the key and then open the door to escape, was infant extremely unlikely! I was trying to demonstrate that I had assessed the risk. When the inspector left I let her 'escape' and she couldn't manage the stair gate, never mind the front door!

14. Likes serin liked this post
    aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Yale lock on my front door even though it is upvc . My patio doors have a key which depending on the children I have is either left in the door or put on my unit next to the door

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a "locked" front door which is a wooden door with a yale lock which enables the door to be "locked" but do not need a key to get out in an emergency. My back door is always unlocked to allow access to the garden space, and I have a carabiner on the gates to keep the gates closed and secure. Quite often adults cannot undo the carabiner! Our regular postman can take it on and off no problems and does that for me when he is on duty. During times when he is not on duty, we do not get post, but notes put onto the letters saying the gate is locked and did not have access, and the letters get delivered on another day!!!! If I am waiting for someone on an appointment they wait at the gate for me to let them in. I chose a carabiner purely for the security of the children while they are playing in the garden, for those who need to enter, and to assist in controlled access to the property. If I was in a situation where we needed to leave the boundary of the property, I would not have to think about padlock keys or a combination in a panic or rush, I can undo it with one hand. If for some reason I was unable to get to the gate the garden is quite large so there would be plenty of space to get out of harms way in an emergency for the children.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always lock my front door and have key on a high hook next to it, but my back door is usually open.
    Before I get shot down lol, it leads into my garden which has very secure high fences and a padlocked side gate. I feel that no one can get in, but if there was a fire, and i was unconscious or some other horror, that the children could at least go out into the garden, which is very long and so would be away from the house. It was a surprising question to be asked but thinking of new cms on here, they may not know if doors should be locked or not (although hopefully they have been advised properly)

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Front door is locked with the key on the inside - the internal porch door is a yale lock. Back door is left unlocked but you have to come through a gate, which is locked, and the side door like wise x

I have a lovely mum but her main paranoia is her ds being snatched, so not only do I have this, I ensure its double secure x

but at weekends everything is unlocked left open, but my children are over the age of 10 and are in secondary school college etc x

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice really. As a new childminder (registered October 2012) I can't thinking anywhere I have ever seen this rule written down! It has never came up in discussions on courses etc so of course I'm unsure as to what the rules are. But this then brings me into my next question of if its a hit day like today and I have low level windows (about my tummy height) should I also never open these when the children are here? How do they then get to cool down and be comfortable without getting to hot, i do have vents but they are useless in summer. Should i be worried someone may climb in the window etc?I do get that this may sound obvious to a lot of you but it's not to me. Sorry if I'm beeing a pain. x

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in a bungalow, I tend to stick to the top windows, if I do have a lower large window open I ensure nothing is dragable to be climbable - and I have window restrictors, which mean the window can only open say half a foot, so cant be opened wider from inside or outside. If you go through your risk assessments (you can do one about intruders alone) it should all slip into place and you will understand what is "safe" and what is not so hth x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Carlyle View Post
    Great advice really. As a new childminder (registered October 2012) I can't thinking anywhere I have ever seen this rule written down! It has never came up in discussions on courses etc so of course I'm unsure as to what the rules are. But this then brings me into my next question of if its a hit day like today and I have low level windows (about my tummy height) should I also never open these when the children are here? How do they then get to cool down and be comfortable without getting to hot, i do have vents but they are useless in summer. Should i be worried someone may climb in the window etc?I do get that this may sound obvious to a lot of you but it's not to me. Sorry if I'm beeing a pain. x
    All our windows have restrictors on them so they can only open a certain amount. It's enough to let a lot of air in, but not enough for a child to get out (my concern is much more about the child escaping than a stranger getting in).

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My door is always kept locked and has been since 1 of my mindees let himself out and ran across the road to mum's car. Mum was picking him and his little sister up we were chatting about the day and were just coming out of the playroom and he had opened the door himself and ran across the road. Luckily no cars etc but I do live on a road that has reasonable traffic. Door had been locked before mum arrived and I hadn't locked it behind her, didn't think I needed to! I lock everyone in now even delivery men!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Many years ago when i was a nanny a crawling child pulled himself up on front door, pulled handle and crawled out, his 2yr old brother alerted me to the baby crawling out onto a busy main street!!!!!

I have locked doors ever since, sorry but not worth the risk.

If i'm doing nappy change parents will wait, if i'm in garden I can hear cars in drive and know parent has arrived.

I leave key high up above door so i can find it in an emergency.

Wonder how many mindees over the years have been trapped in house because minder has locked door and not been able to unlock it due to fire, illness etc. Not any to my knowledge but please tell me if i'm wrong.

On a funnier note, man came to read electricity meter when i first started minding and looked a bit concerned as i locked front door as he entered house
    I always lock the door if anyone visits lol, it's the look on their faces!

NOV 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Our doors are always locked and the keys stay in my pocket at all time...just incase we need to evacuate. I'm forever locking parents in when they collect but they are used to it now and don't mind.

I have to do it this way as I have a minded who is not allowed contact with one parent, therefore if this parent finds out where minded is and the door wasn't locked they could come and collect and I would then hav serious issues to deal with.

Lots of people have give great advice and tips here so I would recommend you looked into ways you could make it work for you ) x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, all of this works on the false assumption that a locked door represents an impenetrable barrier to anyone who really wants to get in and do harm.

My preferred method of keeping my premises "secure" (ie. the actual regulatory requirement) would be to defend the children with my life against intruders. If anyone broke in, I'd probably rip off their arm and hit them in the face with the soggy end. But that's probably 'not nice' in Ofsted's books.

I was going to suggest that we really should all have front gardens which are inaccessible from the street and with high walls/fences and locked gates, even if we never use them with lo's. After all, EYFS says we must keep our premises secure, and "our premises" must surely cover the entire property (like schoolplaygrounds, etc.) .........er............but...............er, well..................then I saw this:-
    BBC News - Five-year-old boy walks home after being locked out of school

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My street is 90% OAP bungalows and we live in one of the few houses - I think that anyone who had done any surveilance in the area would be more likely to break into one of the bungalows rather than a home with 2 noisy dogs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast