Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fine - no worries. Look forward to seeing more of you on the Forum.

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem, hope you have another meeting real soon

apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Having only been registered for a few months I find this part the worst part of my job.

Ive had 5 parents to my home, 3 of them choose me for their child's care which is great, but two never got back to me and one arranged a meeting and didn't even turn up or txt/ call to say why. As for the other two who came to look around one of them called me back to ask me if she has to still pay if she decides not to bring her one day and obviously didn't like my reply of yes and never heard from her again and the other couple were looking at nurseries and I was the only childminder they were looking at and didn't even get back to me.

I find it all so rude. I invite these strangers into my home, show them around my home (well all of downstairs) spend time talking to their children, chat very happily with parents, I have a portfolio I show them of all my certificates etc show them examples of planning and learning journeys at the end of the meeting make sure they are free to call me, txt me, email me or contact me on my fb page and find it so rude that people can't even be bothered to send a txt just saying thanks but no thanks and to be honest I'm staring to feel a bit vulnerable that strangers are visiting and looking around my home finding out all about me and my family then don't even contact me again. Maybe I'm just being a bit sensitive but I can't stand inconsiderate people.

I also used to give out a pack with my service statement and policies and procedures in a folder which I've decided I'm not going to do anymore, then can read the, all in my portfolio then if they join with me they will be given a copy. It's all about learning through these meetings I guess, but I can understand while you must be feeling down but someone will come along soon.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

think parents all want something different or their children and she just didn't seem that interested - we all get them - they come they visit they smile (or not) and then they go and maybe you hear from them and maybe you don;t! some of them arrange a visit and are keen for ages and then don't even show up - without even the courtesy to tell you!
    I don't think you did anything wrong - if the parent had been more interested she would have asked more question and been interested in what you told her - don't worry - it does get easier!

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

April you would not believe how many times everyone has said why did I do that? Where did I go wrong. I used to have parents come when I had children but not now. I have learned my lesson through children crying non stop others fighting and the worst was when I had one for an extra day and was the only one, he was so shy he hid in the play room and when we went in he tried to hide in the toom. Now they come first at weekend or evenings. All I give them is a buisness card and a sheet about myself. Onseccond I give terms and conditions. Just do what you are happy with. Also so many come to visit and never bother to let you kno anything. if I am feeling mean I look at their child care profile so they know I am aware they are still looking.

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard from mum, she sent me a nicely worded email saying that she hadn't chosen me, but the decision was nothing personal and that she would recommend me to friends who want a childminder. Those of you who said she'd probably already decided on a nursery were right, she and her OH had chosen one the day before, but she didn't want to cancel on me. I can't say I'm not a little disappointed, but I suppose I can't be lucky enough to get business from everyone I meet.

In the end, it was a valuable learning experience and I definitely feel better prepared for the next parent who comes my way!

7. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be too upset.

Be pleased she took the time to write you a nice email, many don't. It seems she had nothing against you but had already made a choice.

Take the compliments she gave you, move on and be reassured the experience has made you better prepared for the next parent

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well at least you know and she hasn't left you hanging on, at the end of the day it is hard but try not to take it personally. I don't think your an idiot I think you learn as you go and that is what life is all about, at the end of the day that is what we encourage our little ones to do!

Chin up I am sure someone who is a great fit for you will be along shortly - good luck.

Sam x

July 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I felt how a parent must feel coming to our house. I went to meet potential parents who need a babysitter.
    I went to their flat and met Dad and a lovely little boy. I asked questions, he asked questions and then it got difficult.
    Made a quick exit and will babysit for them but definitely made me appreciate being on the other side. It must be hard for parents to do this at a Childminders home.

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi April_c..Just an idea, if I have had someone that has visited and then chosen a nursery, I also say that I am happy for them to get back in touch if their circumstances change! (some parents have such a dilemma choosing childcare especially for the first baby) just me maybe but we are all different! I have also met a couple of busy mum's initially at coffee shops without kids!!

Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    April, I really don't think you're an idiot, and I'd be surprised and shocked if any member here thought that.

It simply never occurred to me to do anything but invite people round here. Certainly if a parent proposed meeting in a cafe, I'd be happy to consider it: I'd just never thought of suggesting it.

It really is refreshing to hear from a CM who has different ways of doing things , and that's one thing that's great about the Forum.

In fact, I find it quite sad that 95% of CMs (certainly round here) want to be the same and do exactly the same things. When I was introduced to my local CM group, I was told "we all charge £x-amount per hour; we've sorted out who does which school; nobody works bank holidays" etc. etc. - and I thought "how crazy" and I just knew we probably weren't going to get along. I'm always getting told off by my DO for "not fitting in" but I don't care - I'm self-employed. I didn't become a CM so I could copy all the other 'clones'.
    Think you and I could be 'clones' Bunyip I tend to not run with the herd either and get criticised for it. Like you I value the benefits of being self-employed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12