Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  113
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon the ratios were a smoke screen to take our minds off the agencies as under the new EYFS we could decide ourselves to have 4 under 5s and also for continuity of care overlap with 5children. So ET was not really doing anything different with this.

The LA will looses their power over who can and cannot offer the funding and i they will not back track on that. But the big threat to our profession is the agencies. This is where the real fight is. I think the ratios were always meant to be the peace offering from the goverment anyway in the hope it would shut us up.
    So now we need to shoot the agencies down to oblivion where they belong.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2. Likes Kiddleywinks, mama2three liked this post
    Simona Guest

Further comments from Clegg...dismiss the Mail..it is very Tory and frankly not credible

Victory for the early years sector over ratios | Nursery World

Las will have no choice over funding..either they comply or DfE will remove their powers
    From what I heard yesterday they will not disappear but whatever they offer will be at a cost...somehow they have to raise money to survive??

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

daily fail...

under the proposals one childminder would have been able to look after four babies under the age of one

hello???? 4 under 1????? do I look like I want a one way ticket to an inpatient treatment facility!!!!

if your going to write an article, get your facts straight first....
    boo

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    daily fail...

under the proposals one childminder would have been able to look after four babies under the age of one

hello???? 4 under 1????? do I look like I want a one way ticket to an inpatient treatment facility!!!!

if your going to write an article, get your facts straight first....
    I've seen very few articles that have got it right. Even the "experts" have given the impression we would have been able to have 6 under 8s (4 pre-school AND 2 under 1).
    The thought of nursery staff being able to have 4 under 1s would have been terrifying. I didn't realise they could already have 3 though. Even that is too much!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No surprise to hear on the radio this morning that they will soon reveal more about their plans to make it easier for schools to offer childcare.

I would have a milligram of respect for them if they were honest enough to explain their ultimate aims upfront. I suspect they are along these lines:

"We want Joe Public's 2yr olds in schools and favoured nurseries. We're not fussed about nurturing them as confident, creative individuals; we just want them to learn do what their superior tells them, ready to absorb Mr Gove's list of facts when they're school age. Those self-employed childminders can't be trusted to support our particular vision of 'school readiness' and 'teaching' so we want them relegated to wrap-around care when schools are shut."

7. Likes bunyip, watgem liked this post
    Simona Guest

Hope this link works....brilliant!!
    By the way where is the Minister for Childcare this morning???

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/sta...304640/photo/1

9. Likes Mouse, lisbet liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've seen very few articles that have got it right. Even the "experts" have given the impression we would have been able to have 6 under 8s (4 pre-school AND 2 under 1).
    The thought of nursery staff being able to have 4 under 1s would have been terrifying. I didn't realise they could already have 3 though. Even that is too much!
    Yes in nurseries the ratio is 1 adult to 3 babies, even more terrifying is when you realise that most baby rooms are upstairs - how could one person carry 3 babies outside to play let alone to evacuate incase of a fire! I am sometimes a little "naughty" and point this out in a roundabout way when they come to visit me to talk about baby spaces especially if I know they are also looking at Nurseries

11. Likes Mouse, watgem liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Yes in nurseries the ratio is 1 adult to 3 babies, even more terrifying is when you realise that most baby rooms are upstairs - how could one person carry 3 babies outside to play let alone to evacuate incase of a fire! I am sometimes a little "naughty" and point this out in a roundabout way when they come to visit me to talk about baby spaces especially if I know they are also looking at Nurseries
    lol! It's amazing how easily you can trash a nursery, but in such a sweet way I also point out that very often the staff are very young girls with no children of their own, so limited experience. It's usually along the lines of "these poor young girls in nursery with no experience of what it's actually like to have a baby 24/7. As a parent you know how demanding it can be. Poor things must be run ragged having to look after several at once"...it just plants the seeds of doubt!

EDIT: I would add that I have no problem with childless people looking after children, nor indeed young people looking after children. This is purely a business tactic

13. Likes hectors house, watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Hope this link works....brilliant!!
    By the way where is the Minister for Childcare this morning???

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/sta...304640/photo/1
    Ha! Ha! Made me giggle...
    Oh to be a fly on the wall chez Truss...
    :-)

Simona Guest

More comments...notice the words 'apparent Uturn'...

BBC News - Nursery ratio changes being scrapped, Nick Clegg says

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure about Paceys response in the article , - how to make 'what' a reality? Agencies? Im sure its just poor wording but it does read as if there is concern about agencies , and there needs to be discussion about how to make them a reality. Or is it just my addled brain reading it wrong. I hope so.

Liz Bayram, joint chief executive of the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years, said the organisation was "relieved" by the decision

"Whilst today's announcement is good news for children and families, there remains a great deal of sector concern around other government childcare proposals. There needs to be a more full and open discussion with the sector and parents around how to make this a reality."

Simona Guest

Yes a bit too open ended...if it refers to agencies it won't work and they must not become a reality
    My info sharing now is that the Children and Families Bill is back on Tuesday 11 June with another session

I understand agencies will be on the agenda and it will be, as usual, on tv....put in your diary and hopefully will get a link to post and follow the debate

Non childminder member
    Carer
    Post Thanks / Like

Think its great news :-)

Simona Guest

Cathy Nutbrown and others comment on the scrapping of the ratios...and yes we still need a response to the Childcare Commission as stated in one of the comments

Nutbrown joins early years professionals' joy over ratios rejection | Children & Young People Now

20. Likes watgem liked this post
    Simona Guest

This has just been released...someone questioning whether the plans have been dropped as they appear to be squabbling!

Clegg blocks childcare plans - ITV News

...and this...are they split on this issue? messy to say the least

Clegg intervenes to sound death knell for ratios policy | Children & Young People Now
    Last edited by Simona; 06-06-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wondered when someone was going to mention the EYFS ..well done wendywu...yes we go by that and self variate or whatever cms prefer call it

I have mentioned I am off to Birmingham on Friday for the PLA conference (I am not a member but want to hear their views on cms who they now represent)
    I am attending a workshop with Dee Gasson Principle Ofsted officer...looking at the agenda now we will be discussing 'Delivering the latest Ofsted changes'...it says it will include possible cms hubs and discuss particular aspects of this report...which one is that and is it out now I ask or is she going to land it on our lap on the day???

I will make sure I ask about present EYFS and our variations...will feedback of course as usual...wonder what kind of atmosphere will be there after today's announcement?

Tell you Juggler..it may have saved on paper but adding on my train mileage with all these journeys up and down the country...still better be there
    and listen from the experts I suppose!!
    Is it worth bombarding Clegg with emails on agencies? after all no evidence they will save money either

Thanks everyone for the excellent interaction on this thread...I really enjoyed sharing the good news with you all
    as he is the only one listening to the arguments - I think we've got nothing to lose by trying
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Simona Guest

Yes you are right ...worth a few emails and to my MP as well, Cable, who was very much in favour of the proposals when I last met him, especially agencies!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This has just been released...someone questioning whether the plans have been dropped as they appear to be squabbling!

Clegg blocks childcare plans - ITV News

...and this...are they split on this issue? messy to say the least

Clegg intervenes to sound death knell for ratios policy | Children & Young People Now

So once again we're left waiting for an official announcement This has been so typical of the waiting game we've been playing for months now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234