Am I doing it right?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I doing it right?

Was meant to have two meetings this evening but one has had to rearrange to Sunday.

Just had an adorable little boy in, 1yo and very clingy with mum. I gave her my folder and took little one through to playroom to pick a toy (he actually came with me which is a good sign).

She asked a few questions but apart from that I didn't give any information unless asked as she said she'd already seen my website. She also said she is going to look round the local nursery so I didn't want to seem like I was pushing her for a decision. IMO it's up to parents where they place their child so I wasn't going to bombard her with information etc.

She said she would be in touch after she's been to the nursery to let me know either way so I told her just to give me a shout if she wants to know anything.

I kind of feel like I hold back, as I don't want to seem too in their face so just spend the time interacting with the child and leave the parent to ask the questions. I think if they decide to place their child with me that is when I will ask questions (although the majority of what I need to know is on the 'about me' form I get parents to fill in) but I don't want to seem like I'm assuming they will choose me.

Do you ask questions etc at first meeting or just let parents ask what they want to know while letting the child get familiar with you?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask questions about them and the child, people like to talk about themselves and it breaks the ice-- remember the parent is usually more terrified than you. They are about to leave their most precious thing with a near stranger, they are nervous even if they do not show it. As long as you make them feel comfortable it is fine, some need you to do the talking, some talk enough by themselves!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for asking this I will be interested in the responses

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I ask questions about them and the child, people like to talk about themselves and it breaks the ice-- remember the parent is usually more terrified than you. They are about to leave their most precious thing with a near stranger, they are nervous even if they do not show it. As long as you make them feel comfortable it is fine, some need you to do the talking, some talk enough by themselves!
    Thanks. I think this mum was one that talked enough themselves!

I had to ask the child's name though as she was too busy talking and forgot!!

I'll try and ask more questions with my next one, but I already know her so that won't be hard!

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest Im not sure there is a right or wrong way to be

ive had interviews that i thought went horribly and got the child and vice versa

sometimes ive been very forward , chatty , asking lots of questions , and some parents see that as keen and others desperate

i used to try and plan interviews for when i wasnt busy but i actually prefer the opposite now , i think im more relaxed if there are mindees and the parents can see how you normally interact with them and go about your day , its less formal , then again some parents will say that i look disinterested you really cant win

i tend to have an initial friendly chat type meeting , and if they like me follow it up with a more indepth chat about contracts , policies etc

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I HATE the meetings with parents! I'm not the most confident of people and i feel i let myslef down.

Last ones i had were..a mum who wanted just school hols. We spent so much texting back and forth i thought ie be ok once she arrived but i was a bag of nerves..the little one was confident and at ease which helps and the mum brought her sister which helped as she was chatty! I got signed there are then and have just done the holidays with her!

The other mum was one from school..a call one night and i started a couple of days after so no time to be nervous as no meet as such but have had long chats with the mum since so the nerves have gone!

Think if i could just start ide have got more jobs in the past!! Am full though and have been pretty much been snce i started 8 years ago so cant be that bad!!

Have another one on Tue and will have 3 children here so will either be easier with them or harder depending on how they behave!!

Yes i think you were fine and it takes practise!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Baby View Post
    I HATE the meetings with parents! I'm not the most confident of people and i feel i let myslef down.

Last ones i had were..a mum who wanted just school hols. We spent so much texting back and forth i thought ie be ok once she arrived but i was a bag of nerves..the little one was confident and at ease which helps and the mum brought her sister which helped as she was chatty! I got signed there are then and have just done the holidays with her!

The other mum was one from school..a call one night and i started a couple of days after so no time to be nervous as no meet as such but have had long chats with the mum since so the nerves have gone!

Think if i could just start ide have got more jobs in the past!! Am full though and have been pretty much been snce i started 8 years ago so cant be that bad!!

Have another one on Tue and will have 3 children here so will either be easier with them or harder depending on how they behave!!

Yes i think you were fine and it takes practise!
    I didn't want to seem nosy or desperate so didn't ask loads of questions like where they work etc. I thought those would be things I'd find out if they wanted to sign - that information is useless to me if they don't sign.

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i've been doing this 10 years and i still hate the parent interview stage!

i usually have my portfolio to hand, and offer a cup of tea/coffee whilst they look at it, whilst children play. however, my last visit was a mum i know, and we just sat & chatted whilst LO played! i play it by ear, some parents want to ask lots of questions, some read every page in portfolio, some seem to wait till i ask questions. i have a mum i'm chatting to at the moment - i know her vaguely - we smile & say hello, pass the odd comment, but she's asked if i can help her out this term and i can, so we'll have a chat later and get things sorted! but i think she needs/wants to start tomorrow !!!!

i've had some interviews last 15 mins ( and i had the child for 4 yrs! ) and others have been a couple of hours long! some parents come when i am working, some in the evening. i try not to have visits at the weekend. but i'm pretty flexible.

one thing to remember - you are deciding if they are right for you, just as much as if you are right for them!

Sept 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya , personally, if the parent has come to me and mentions that they are looking at a nursery too. I tend to ask whether they have had a childminder/nursery before - if they say no then I give them the pros and cons of both. I did this to one new mum whom had ages to make a decision but was panicking about what to do and I offered to give her an informal chat about both types of setting with no strings attached. She was very grateful and surprised that I was willing to do this for nothing. But its like buying your first pram, all the information and guidance you can get you are grateful for. (Having said that - I didnt have that much help with buying of prams and consequently went through a few before I found my ideal!!) I see it as simply selling what you do and the one to one care their little one will be getting

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone.

The parent I met that is also looking at the nursery said she had a cm for her little girl but it stopped (I didn't ask why so not sure if she meant she stopped it or the cm did) so she knows the ins and outs of using a cm.

I had a mum in this morning who I already know so we had a good chat, she looked through portfolio and pretty much spoke about lots of things (not just me looking after her little one). She's pretty much signed - it's Saturday mornings 2 weekends out of 5 starting the first weekend in May. She's going to contact me to arrange first settling in session and sign contract etc.

Can't believe I've finally got my first mindee lined up and ready to start