Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well ofsted record our conversations. Can we use tape recorders?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    Well ofsted record our conversations. Can we use tape recorders?
    You are within your rights to, for example, ask your inspector if you can record feedback at the end of an inspection because you are busy with children and know you will forget what is said...

If you are subjected to an unannounced visit for a safeguarding or other serious complaint you have certain rights. I would need to dig them out but I think by law you can take notes and ask to record the meeting if you need to.

If you are ever in a situation where you are uncertain, you should halt the meeting and call Ofsted and / or your insurance company to clarify.

So many childminders panic and let it carry on and end up in a muddle - you need presence of mind (which often flies out of the window at times like this) to say -

'no - enough - I don't understand - it's too much to take in - I need support - you are wrong - I cannot do this and put the children first - I need to check - I have the right to some legal advice before answering' etc...

If you think about it - if the police caution you for an offence the first thing they tell you is that you are entitled to legal assistance...

But if Ofsted land on your doorstep to investigate a serious incident and shut you down you are on your own, in a house with children, probably totally shattered by the visit.

You have the right to help too.

xx

3. Likes Logan liked this post
    Simona Guest

I also believe there is an Ofsted guidance on 'how inspectors' should behave...it is one of the several that have recently been published
    It may be worth reading this a and be prepared on what you can do if unhappy at the way the inspection is happening...inspector do have a code of practice to follow

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a forum that gives advice to consumers about their right to record conversations. If I remember rightly you can record conversations without their prior agreement but you cannot then play that recording to a third party (eg ofsted) without the agreement of all parties on the recording.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12