Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giving out your registration number & tax credits

Hi,

Another childminder told me that she no longer gives her parents her registration number until they have signed contracts, because they can claim tax credits once they've got it.

I've had a couple of parents who've expressed interest/ exchanged emails, and one of them also visited and said they did want a place, who then have not got back in touch...From our conversations/ their situations my gut instinct is that I am pretty sure they had genuine, understandable reasons for changing their minds (won't go into them to avoid identifying details) but then I am quite an optimist (or maybe gullible!) and the fact remains they could now claim tax credits if they wanted to...

So, I'm wondering if you all give your number out? And if not, how do they look at Ofsted reports? (I don't want my full address shown on mine.)

Any advice welcome
    Last edited by lisbet; 28-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.

sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like

I print copies and give them to parents to take home and read

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I give potential patents a booklet to take home and if they sign up I email policies and permissions and print a hard s copy that they sign that goes in the child's personal file
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No offence meant to anyone here, but I have to say I just don't get the paranoia about our reg numbers.

Anyone who wants a CM's number can pick one off the Ofsted website in a couple of clicks.

Just playing Devil's advocate for a moment, I could entirely understand a parent if they had some doubts about a registered CM withholding their reg number, even temporarily.

I'd let an enquirer have my reg number, no problem. But I also make sure I have their name and address verified (what's sauce for the goose........etc.) so they know I have details just in case they are up to no good.

BUT I don't assume potential clients are about to commit fraud simply because they could. Opportunity to commit fraud is a million miles away from actually doing it. All CMs have just as much (in fact, probably far more) opportunity to commit fraud by not declaring some income, or by putting non-existent expenses through the books.

Would we be happy about our clients suspecting us every time they make a payment? or a shopkeeper reporting us to the tax office every time we make a purchase?

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    No offence meant to anyone here, but I have to say I just don't get the paranoia about our reg numbers.

Anyone who wants a CM's number can pick one off the Ofsted website in a couple of clicks.

Just playing Devil's advocate for a moment, I could entirely understand a parent if they had some doubts about a registered CM withholding their reg number, even temporarily.

I'd let an enquirer have my reg number, no problem. But I also make sure I have their name and address verified (what's sauce for the goose........etc.) so they know I have details just in case they are up to no good.

BUT I don't assume potential clients are about to commit fraud simply because they could. Opportunity to commit fraud is a million miles away from actually doing it. All CMs have just as much (in fact, probably far more) opportunity to commit fraud by not declaring some income, or by putting non-existent expenses through the books.

Would we be happy about our clients suspecting us every time they make a payment? or a shopkeeper reporting us to the tax office every time we make a purchase?
    I agree. Even a parent who is legitimately using our services has the opportunity to misdeclare their childcare expenses, and whilst childminder reg numbers are harder to come by along with names and addresses, nurseries numbers are easily found. The fraud of others is none of my business, frankly.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

July 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Family Tax credits do make checks. I have one parent who when her son started school phoned them to change the monthly amount but the daft man said it was weekly! They then investigated, realised their mistake, no apology tho! Now every year the parent has to send receipts and contract as proof.
    Bet there are parents who do mistreat the system tho.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone! As I'm sure you can tell I'm new to running a business and it's a massive help to be able to get perspectives from you all. I'm suitably reassured that it's fine to carry on thinking the best of folk

Bunyip, can I ask how you go about verifying their name and address?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post
    Thanks, everyone! As I'm sure you can tell I'm new to running a business and it's a massive help to be able to get perspectives from you all. I'm suitably reassured that it's fine to carry on thinking the best of folk

Bunyip, can I ask how you go about verifying their name and address?
    I've usually asked them to show me some sort of photo ID and something with an address on like a Council Tax statement. I know these things could be forged but if they're that sophisticated just for a TC scam, then nothing much else is going to stop them.

Since I began using a parents information guide (my prospectus) I've taken to delivering it in person to their home address at a prearranged time, so I actually meet them and know where they live. This is mainly useful as an ice-breaker, and possibly overcomes the notion that, as a male CM, I might be some kind of axe-murderer.

9. Likes lorettacritchet liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I've usually asked them to show me some sort of photo ID and something with an address on like a Council Tax statement.
    Do you ask them to bring it with them to the initial meeting? How do you explain your request without sounding OTT? (Sorry for all the questions.)

Just had a parent email from another country and ask to visit when they get back to the UK, so have sent my reg number off into the ether, lol. (Not that I even have a full graded report yet!)

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you ask them to bring it with them to the initial meeting? How do you explain your request without sounding OTT? (Sorry for all the questions.)

Just had a parent email from another country and ask to visit when they get back to the UK, so have sent my reg number off into the ether, lol. (Not that I even have a full graded report yet!)
    I would be careful about the parent from another country. Dont take any deposits until you have met them in person. There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago about the possibility they can send an overpayment and then ask you to refund or something like that and you get fleeced. So beware

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's generally what I ask them to do. I tell them I need to see certain documentation of theirs the same as I need to show them some of mine (reg cert, insurance, PFA cert, etc.) so it's all above board. As we're legally required to hold information on parental responsibility, address where child is resident, etc. I have no problem with politely requesting this. I find parents have no problem with the admin side of things: it's one of the reasons why they're using a registered CM, rather than one of the dodgy illegals round here.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Bunyip

caz3007, yes I saw that thread! This parent is only asking to set up a meeting so all seems fine