Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: food hygiene

Registered Childminder since
    09/2012
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default food hygiene

Has anyone done the food hygiene course whos ads keep popping up on here for £15? I have nvq level2 in food hygiene but on cert it says it expires end this month so looking to renew and wondered if this one is sufficient?

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk to your environmental health people. I am not sure if we have to renew it.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

With my local authority the conditions are update first aid, food hygiene, crb every 3 years and child protection every 2 years
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Post Thanks / Like

My LA are being really dopey about setting up a Food Hygiene course - they will charge me £15/£20 anyway... So I'm interested in doing an online one for similar price. Please let me know if you can recommend any?
    I need to do one ASAP really, Mrs O due within a few months.
    Ta :-)

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i did mine online with virtual college and its city and guilds accredited.OFSTED thought its ok.it didnt take long to do im sure it was advertised on here so probably the same one

sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like

So we HAVE to do this? I did one off here about 4 years ago, so it's very put of date and doesn't even have my new (married) name on it.
    It's still on my wall! Lol

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    With my local authority the conditions are update first aid, food hygiene, crb every 3 years and child protection every 2 years
    You don't have to update your crb, once you have it as a cm you have it forever as a cm, obviously not other jobs if that makes sense. Unless they've changed the rules and no ones told me. X

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Food hygiene does not expire it but you need to update your skills every three years that can be looking up on the Internet etc for the latest rules. The best way would be to renew the course as you know you have t missed anything then, I did the one on here it was very good just as informative as the previous face to face courses I have done.

09/2012
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Food hygiene does not expire it but you need to update your skills every three years that can be looking up on the Internet etc for the latest rules. The best way would be to renew the course as you know you have t missed anything then, I did the one on here it was very good just as informative as the previous face to face courses I have done.
    Thanks Blue Bear, my cert def states expires march 2013. think i will do the one advertised on here, looks ok and for £15 cant hurt to update knowledge.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the food hygiene had to be updated every 3 years - though it's not compulsory, just good practice.

I did the one on here for £15 and my inspector was pleased. She said it was a good one, which is great at my LA one cost £70. I didn't want to pay that!

Post Thanks / Like

I paid £80 for my food hygiene, you are suppose to update within 5 yeas or you need to do the whole day one again, the update is only a half day and cheaper. I also think you have to do the same with your first aid. Xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny P View Post
    Has anyone done the food hygiene course whos ads keep popping up on here for £15? I have nvq level2 in food hygiene but on cert it says it expires end this month so looking to renew and wondered if this one is sufficient?
    You must speak to the Environmental Health Officer at your local authority. It is ultimately their decision whether or not to accept the qualification/training that you hold. Different LA's have different requirements.

eg. Mine insisted I do a course approved by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health initially. But now I've done that once, they'll accept a non-CIEH course as a 'refresher' just so long as the course content is satisfactory and that I don't show any particular gaps in my knowledge at inspection. But my CM friends in the neighbouring county have to do a CIEH course every single time.

09/2012
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, did the course this afternoon, passed and printed cert all while hubby and my boys watched the football. Great course and really easy to do and well set out. Very pleased thats another thing done. x