Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did you know paper scissors can cut hair

Oh god, my DD (who is off school today as was poorly) has just managed to cut all her fringe off with paper scissors. She was playing with a mindee aged 4, they were doing crafts in the toy room. Other mindee wakes up and after her lunch goes off to play in the toy room. I tell DD and older mindee, don't leave the scissors laying around. I watched as they put them back in the craft drawer. I went to wash up the pots, went back in and DD is looking in the mirror. Oh god she looks a mess, it looks just awful. There is no way of rescuing it. I am so embarassed, I have to take her out looking like this. I am so so angry with her and I can't believe paper scissors can actually cut hair

xxxx

2. Likes watgem liked this post
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could of been worse and been mindee of had cut of all hair lol
    I remember me and my sister plying hairdressers once I looked like a boy after lol

may10
    Post Thanks / Like

lol oh dear - this happend to with one of my mindees while at school - she had cut another los hair when the teachers asked her why she had done it she replyed "well just because she told me to" needless to say teachers where not amused lol

could you not put her hair in a hair band till it grows out?

sorry no other advice

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

oh well it will grow back, its only hair....better your own child than a mindee!!

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Not as bad as me when I was a kid... I had long hair in plaits which I hated so one day I cut one off - right close to my head! I heard my mum coming so flushed it down the loo!!

I was made to wear a hat when ever we went out for ages...... Very short hair for girls was NOT fashionable then!

7. Likes littlemiss60561, Daisy1956 liked this post
    jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my daughter cut a mindees hair they were both 3 ..many years ago ..luckily parent saw the funnyside.i was mortified

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I have nothing helpful to say, its just too funny

10. Likes watgem liked this post
    Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

oh I feel for you the same thing happened to me only it was my 5 yr old son who cut his little sisters hair that at the age of 3 was only just starting to grow (strangers thought she was a boy) then she did it to herself a few months later this time cutting it short to her head all down one side!! it's all starting to grow now but is shorter on one side! i keep telling her she'll never look like her idol rapunzel if she cuts her hair! luckily it's very curly so the unevenness can be hidden better than straight hair. however needless to say I ALWAYS keep the scissors hidden now only getting them out when I can supervise at all times!

Post Thanks / Like

Erm, oops! At least it wasn't a mindee tho. I once got a round hairbrush stuck in my hair and decided it would be better to cut it out than be told off for playing with my mums hairbrush. Clearly not thinking that having done it I would be told off for both crimes!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did know craft scissors can cut hair, I have also had a pair that cut fingers so I always supervise and make sure they aren't playing hairdressers!

My daughter when she was about 10 had a hair braid put in on holiday, when we got home she was fed up with it so she just cut it off - of course as her hair grew back it just stuck straight up. Another time someone made a comment about her having busy eyebrows like her dad, so she shaved them off with his razor!

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! A girl in my daughters class did this last year - She looked hilarious!

Hope it grows quickly!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OOps

On the bright side, at least it's cold enough to wear a hat pulled down.

Post Thanks / Like

Safety scissors can also cut fingers!!!! A good few years ago mindee comes into me and says I've cut my finger!!! Oh yes she'd certainly done that!! She'd cut the tip of her finger off right down to the bone!!!! A mad trip to A&E followed, poor thing had to have her first ever X-ray without mum, felt so sorry for her, luckily she didn't damage the bone, but loads of bandages later and a warning not to get it wet, we were able to leave A&E. doctors were stunned when I said she'd been using ELC safety scissors (metal ones!!) felt really sorry for her because the next day they flew to Malta for 2 weeks, and she wasn't able to go on the beach or in the pool. :-(. Now when they are doing crafting I keep the scissors away till I can 100% supervise!!!!! So yes I know have a thorough risk assessment for safety scissors!!! Mindee still comes and it's a running joke now every time we get out the scissors! Even though she's 13!!!!! Bless her

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

oops! it will grow back I'd pin it back till it does. They also cut the Table protector which is quite thick, I noticed the other day when I
    made the table bigger for mothers day and it was laid out more, not sure which mindee did it but have my suspitions(sp)
    Cath

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a mindee cut hers with safety scissors, mum had been growing it out for months and mindee cut herself a perfectly straight fringe.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we've tried all sorts to try and rescue it and make it look at least a bit better, tried bringing a bit from further back and cutting that into a fringe, tried clipping a longer bit from the side over, but to no avail her hair is so straight and fine that nothing works I'm just thankful she didn't cut one of the mindees hair too . I will never ever let any of the children loose with the scissors again, I had no idea they could cut anything much other than paper / card.

xxxx

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd cut a huge chunk of her hair right at the front and she couldn't have hot any closer to her head if she tried, looked flippin ridiculous and worse when it started growing back and in a 'tuft'.

We have to laugh, it's just the children experimenting :-)

21. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becci26 View Post
    My dd cut a huge chunk of her hair right at the front and she couldn't have hot any closer to her head if she tried, looked flippin ridiculous and worse when it started growing back and in a 'tuft'.

We have to laugh, it's just the children experimenting :-)
    Yes I can smile about it now. I've since found out it's very common, apparently I did it too when I was little although not quite as bad. Oh well, it's a lesson learnt the hard way I guess

xx

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't, but I do now! Awful about the cut finger too. Risk Assessment review time....

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any special safety ones. I just use normal and supervise although by the sounds of it safety isn't very safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast