Just a little moan sorry
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a little moan sorry

I'm starting to get really fed up with parents I spend a lot of time writing in daily diaries only for them not to be read, yet after my inspection I sent a letter home about cutting back on the amount I write and everyone moaned. Twice this week so far I have got book out of bags only to find pictures, book vouchers (from world book day) and even cupcakes we made Monday still in a bag this morning. Moan over sorry x

Feb o7
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooooh, I really know that feeling. I currently have a 2yrold and 3x3yrolds. Going to def cut down on the amount I'm writing because I don't think they ever read it.
    After Christmas one of my books was returned with the decoration we made still inside. GRRRRRR!

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

DITTO, it drives me mad!!!!

And now when parents 'forget' their book I don't write anything.

This morning a book came back from Monday with an important letter still in, last night the same parents missed a progress meeting that I had already re arranged to a convenient time and date to them - in my own time, however they turned up 15 mins early this morning, no apology just said I am early because I have to.......

I GIVE UP!

I can't say anymore it's making my blood boil.

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have parents who I know don't read the diary every day especially if they just had a half day. Sometimes we go out to the same activity so every week the entry is pretty much the same to be fair,

but

once when the diary was nearly full and mislaid at my house they did ask if i'd found it yet because they liked to keep all his diaries and look back through them.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think its sad for the children, all my mindees have a book bag for their daily diaries and to carry artwork home and anything else I need to send I always feel disappointed when I look inside and there's something we've made but feel worse for the child that praise obviously hasn't been given and the picture up on the fridge I would never forgive myself if I did that picking my son up from pre-school!

If they forget bookbag and diary I don't fill anything in anymore either!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is not a statutory requirement to have a booklet called a 'diary' and to give it to parents every day!!

the requirement is to share information - and you need to do that in whatever combination of ways you can and work for you.

If the diary isn't working - then change it to something else!

7. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Jul 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree completely, so I asked parents how they wanted info, so now I text info daily!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i tend not to put artwork/baking/letters etc in the diaries and physically hand them to the parent on collection.

that said, all of mine do read the diaries at some point during the week, if not every day.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to do daily diaries for 5 children and Im now doing one

2 children come with a different bag every day and i hardly ever see the diary
    one mum kept losing it
    one mum never read it or wrote in it

so after feb half term I stopped doing 4 of them and i only do one becasue mum doesnt collect child and she def reads it everynight and writes in it every morning , she comments on how useful it is so I will be keeping that one

its so much easier now that im not writing 4 or 5 diaries every day

I didnt make a thing about stopping them , I just stopped and they probably havnt even noticed

I think your parents have moaned becasue even though they hardly ever look at it they are quite happy for you to keep wasting your time scribbling away so that they have something to keep

but thats not the purpose of it as far as im concerned , I feel your pain

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I hardly ever see my diaries so dont write in them the days that they have missed. The only thing is how else can you tell Ofsted that you share information about the childs day? At my registration visit I asked if the parent never reads the book can we just do it verbally and the woman replied "you can but theres no proof, at least with diaries theres proof that you are sharing with parents" Also when it comes to letters or artwork I hand it over seperate to the parent and sometimes even give it to the child and say "Show ............... what you have made today"

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I have got used to parents not always interacting well with me over diaries etc. I have resigned myself to them not all entering in to the spirit of things and nowadays I tend to do what I think is right and not worry too much about what parents do. I know that it is important to note a childs experiences and one day they will all thank me for it along with all the photos and artwork which I tend to record on a photo too these days.

At least when I am inspected I can show what I am doing and I can't be held responsible for what parents do. I recent;y sent out a parent questionnaire to 8 parents - only 2 of whom have responded. I don't think its apathy - I take it as a positive that they are happy with everything I do and feel no need to get overly involved.

If you can't beat them - join them and do what you think is right - you won't go wrong (haha)!!
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly why i started a secure online blog - now I just write it once and the parents can access it at their leisure. I even get a record of how many times a post has been read - or not!

Jul 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Doris, that sounds ace, I've no idea how to do that??

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have similar where parents don't read the daily diary, except that I complete it on ****** every day. Both parents work on a computer all day and have logged on twice this year so far. That in itself doesn't bug me as much as the fact they have asked me to put more detail into it. Like it matters, they don't bother to read it, lol

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Diary has never worked for me with any parent. I now do a scrap book where I keep pic write when they did it and add any photos. I don't send home till full as if parent lost it i would be really angry where as once its theirs for good I won't ever no if they spilt coffee on it. They get to look at it on pic up though.

I talk at the door to tell them about the day. Send pics by text during the day if we do something really special. If very young I keep a log if food, nappies and naps but find parents don't want this info once they have been coming a while and only want to know if some thing is different.

I also encourage parents to text me pics of special things the children do I then print n add to scrap book so OFSTED can see communication happening.

coffee-time Guest

i sent children home with mothers day cards last week and one dad said oh that will be ripped up in the back of the car by the time we get home, most of the things he makes he pulls all the bits off in the back of the car!! so i took the card off him and handed it to dad to put in the bag and said well we better keep this safe for mummy then. it makes me mad when we spend time and money to do activities with the children only to hear its so unappreciated! his daily diary rarely got read either and it was them that just stopped bringing it in the end.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

This drives me mad! It takes a few mins to take things out of bags. Charming!!!!!

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the things that really bugs me aswell x

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really cant understand some parents!!!