Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Cakes

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    wooden spoon if you are covering PD and mixer is you're doing UW Technology and ICT!!! lol
    Thats a brilliant reply, thank you
    The reason I was asking is because I have Mrs O coming on Thursday and I was planning on making some cakes with the 2 mindees I will have that afternoon. We usually use the electric hand mixer but I thought there might be a "reason" why I shouldn't.

Thanks for all the replies

xxx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Zoomie- I have an 18 month old and she stands there hands on hips with a du=iva expression on her face if she can not mix (hold spoon and move round, not round the bowl)

I always use a wooden spoon as food proccesor broke and they are soo expensive!!!!!!!!!

3. Likes Zoomie liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    Thats a brilliant reply, thank you
    The reason I was asking is because I have Mrs O coming on Thursday and I was planning on making some cakes with the 2 mindees I will have that afternoon. We usually use the electric hand mixer but I thought there might be a "reason" why I shouldn't.

Thanks for all the replies

xxx
    Just make sure they all wash hands thoroughly before you start and then half a dozen times during after they have picked nose, played with hair, sneezed onto hands etc, also make sure they don't eat mixture off spoon and put it back in bowl - don't think I would be brave enough to make cakes during an inspection! Good luck

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Just make sure they all wash hands thoroughly before you start and then half a dozen times during after they have picked nose, played with hair, sneezed onto hands etc, also make sure they don't eat mixture off spoon and put it back in bowl - don't think I would be brave enough to make cakes during an inspection! Good luck
    Lol, I know I must be mad

xxx

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

is it ok to let mindees eat the leftover mix ? I do with my own but with raw eggs is it ok to let mindees?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    is it ok to let mindees eat the leftover mix ? I do with my own but with raw eggs is it ok to let mindees?
    Shop bought eggs should come from chickens that have been vacinated against salmonella but still could have campylobacter.

I do let the children lick the spoons if I know their parents let them, unless I have bought fresh eggs from my friend as I don't know if her chickens have had salmonella vaccine. But I certainly wouldn't let them do it during an Ofsted inspection, but then they would probably drop me in it by saying "oh but you normally let us"!

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

My son was 5 before he wasn't scared of the mixer so let him use and electric spoon then finished it off myself with mixer so he got used to the noise..

I don't let my minded kids eat cake mixture...I just think the consequences of getting Food poisoning too dire...

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumping back a few threads...is not beating enough a reason for cakes that seem to think they are biscuits? I have found my achilles heel and will have to stick to chocolate crispy cakes soon!!!!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    Jumping back a few threads...is not beating enough a reason for cakes that seem to think they are biscuits? I have found my achilles heel and will have to stick to chocolate crispy cakes soon!!!!!
    What flour and raising agents are you using?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried recipes with self raising and plain flour, and I think baking powder?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12