Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

NVQ for children's care? When I did my NVQ3 I didn't have to do a maths exam. I'd be exactly like you though, I'm absolutely RUBBISH at maths - anything else, I'm fine, but maths...even the thought of it fills me with dread! At least you tried, so that's a good thing, well done for that. It doesn't seem fair or right to fail you on the whole NVQ though just cos of the maths test? I've never heard of having to do this before, is it new? It takes a lot of time and dedication to get through an NVQ3 at the best of times, without throwing that into the equation (see what I did there...equation) LOL

Hels xx

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I finished my nvq3 about a year ago. I did it all at home with an assesor visiting me. I had to do a maths and an english exam on her laptop. Maybe different providors do it differently???

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

jillplum that's exactly how I did mine
    wow 2012 already

4. Likes jillplum liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to do English, Maths and ICT as part of my Level 3 Diploma CYPW too as it was an apprenticeship. You have to do these exams in order for the college to get their funding from the Government. I got no tuition because I have already done qualifications to above this level in the past, but they were a long time ago. I have passed my English and Maths, still waiting to do ICT even though I finished the Diploma last year!! But my tutor told me (unofficially because I was getting so stressed!!) that I do not actually have to pass the exams, just sit them!! Are you sure this isnt the case for you?

6. Likes zippy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lou lou View Post
    has anyone had any experience of this I have been doing my nvq level 3 for ages now and nearly completed and now i have to do maths and english exams for it just sat the maths and it was really hard well for me anyway i just do not do maths and useless at it, I think there is no way i will pass the maths exam so really down as I find it so unfair as I have done nearly all the work without much problem but have to pass this maths test which I really dont think I can do and sat here just thinking I should pull out, has anyone had any experience of this and failing and what you need to do to pass it to get your nvq thanks
    I would argue this, those tests should have been done before you were allowed to start course, not at end, pull them up on his big time

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I would argue this, those tests should have been done before you were allowed to start course, not at end, pull them up on his big time
    No that doesn't happen. Some companies do a maths and english competency test either before or just as the course starts to see what level of support the student will need. We did nothing before the Diploma started. I did my Diploma via one Sat per month Study day and part of the day (not much) was spent working on examples of Maths and English ready to take the external exams which we were told we would have to take as part of the course. You can't get your physical Diploma Certificate either until you pass your English.

We started the course in March and it had to be completed by the following April/May. The first of the class took the Maths and English in the October and I took mine in the Jan and some of the girls who failed in Oct re took in Jan. I was lucky and passed both so i have no idea if anyone from the Jan had to resit.

It is appalling that you had so little notice and the training company who you are with should have prepared you for the exams. I would be complaining to them big time and asking for some serious help now. They have an obligation to do this for you because they are paid by the government to get you to do these exams. nIt is also very bad planning that they are at the end of the course but I guess it depends how long you have been doing the course. I know some companies who do it in six months and I think it is totally unrealistic for a working cm to do it all in this time. We had a huge drop out of cms 20 started and 6 of us finished and we did it over 12-15 months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12