Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ever Feel Like a Fraud?

Prior to becoming a Mother I had absolutley no experience of Childcare. When my DD was born I had an epidural so the Midwife changed her first nappy. I watched intently as I had never changed a napppy before in my life

Fast forward 9mths and I was going back to my job as a Buyer. Looked at Nurseries, didn't them. Looked at Childminders, loved them but loved being a Mum and thought I could do that! So I did.

My first client was an ex-collegue who I got on well with and it was kind of a done deal from that first phone call. That job plus a schoolies that I got as I was the only childminder with spaces that could do that school was what gave me my "experience".

Anyway, nearly five years on. I've had a couple more children in my care (not many as they have been stayers), I now have a son too. I've done bits of training but no formal qualifications.

I am now percived as a bit of a guru LOL! One mindee is 10mths younger than DS and Mum is always asking for advice. I am a sounding board for my 9 year old mindees Mum. My friends are now having babies and I am often tapped for advice when I pop round for coffee on my mornings off. My sister reckons I'm a "great mum" but I know I have my flaws.

My friend said yesterday how good it was to have a friend who is an "expert".... Feel like a fraud!

No point to this post really other than I had to get it off my chest to somebody without shattering my "wise woman" persona (a nickname my childless friends have given me!)

2. Likes watgem liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't sound like a fraud to me, you need to start believing in your abilities it sounds like all your friends can see how good you are, surely they can't all be wrong!!

Maybe I should listen to my own advice i'm always questioning/doubting myself, I shall give myself a kick up the bum

Post Thanks / Like

The best advice is given on instinct, just because you might not be qualified certainly doesn't make you a fraud.