Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Headlice repellant

Does anyone know if there is some form of repellant that I can spray onto a car seat. I have a child who I look after on behalf of ss due to neglect and frequently has headlice. I exclude then back and after about two weeks so are they. Another child caught headlice a couple of weeks ago not sure if from the child but parents are not amused. Because this child is part time plus others it means that other children use same car seat on other days. I thought that they don't live off the head but since found on Internet that they can stay alive on fabric.
    Any ideas?????
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My two have just had headlice for the first time and I've found tea tree oil is quite effective as a deterrent but not sure how that would work with applying to a car seat. Perhaps a spray or dabbing some on neat with cotton wool!?

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes we use tea tree shampoo as a family and touch wood nothing for 3 years now. My prob is a mindee where they keep coming back and as attended 3 days a week a different child uses same car seat on other days. I have a repellant spray but is for hair only not furniture. There seems to be quite a few on sale in us but nothing in uk.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you cover the head rest with a muzzie or something, like an old style Antimacassar. I would even spray a bit of the repellant spray on it too just for good measure.

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Asda used to sell a spray deterrent containing tea tree. Not sure if they still do.

Also amazon sell this Vosene Kids Advanced Conditioning Defence Spray Head Lice Repellent 150ml: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

Got me itching now.................

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dilute about 10 drops of tea tree oil in a small spray bottle with water and spray my sons hair before school every morning as he came home with it twice, cheapest way of getting tea tree scent onto the hair , im not sure the shampoos are very effective as the hair doesnt smell strongly enough of it

since ive done this he hasnt had it , and its been about 9 months

whether its the tea tree I dont know

but that would mean spraying the minded children of course or suggesting it to parents

That isnt going to solve the problem of course and it needs sorting from the cause , I got rid of my sons lice by religiously combing with conditioner and a nitty gritty until all the eggs were gone and then i do it once a week as a preventitive measure

good luck

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did think of spraying the tea tree head lice repellant that I have onto seat but after reading label stating flamible I though better not. I am thinking of putting a hand towel over headrest part when this child uses it as I cannot find a repellant for fabric. Oh there is another option which is put the car seat in the freezer for a few hours but it means removing the food!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Tazmin68; 27-02-2013 at 02:18 PM.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    I did think of spraying the tea tree head lice repellant that I have onto seat but after reading label stating flamible I though better not. I am thinking of putting a hand towel over headrest part when this child uses it as I cannot find a repellant for fabric. Oh there is another option which is put the car seat in the freezer for a few hours but it means removing the food!!!!!!!!
    It would only be flamable whilst still wet.

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe put a cloth over the seat for each child. At least then no one is singled out

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My cousins gp said hair spray works wonders

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't fancy the idea of spraying hairspray on car seat.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    Hadnt considered it being flammable , but in all honesty its a diluted version , not neat tea tree oil so the risks are minimal, if at all , like the previous poster said it will be dry in seconds anyway

Im not sure there would be a specific repellant made for fabric , why would there be? , it doesnt make any sense , most people would be trying to get the lice off the child , not the fabric

Personally I would be asking whoever is responsible for the child to sort it out , and money is no excuse , a nitty gritty comb can be free through your gp and conditioner is 59p for a huge bottle

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

How to get a free nitty gritty comb through your gp

Nitty Gritty - Headlice and nits information

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I missing the point or could you just put a clear plastic bag over the headrest part of the carseat when the infected child is using it?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything fabric covering the carseat is just offering the lice more fabric to burrow into, isn't it, surely?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am certain that head lice cannot live in fabric and wouldn't go from the hair onto it anyway. I read an article about an experiment with a number of children and not one headlouse was found anywhere.

xxx

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to put a towel over seat when child uses it and make sure child wears a hat.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the experiment I was referring to:

"Head lice rarely leave the head. In fact in 1999, two Australian scientists studied the effectiveness of sweeping floors. Together, Speare and Buettener swept 100 classroom floors. These were the floors they knew were being used by children who were infected with head lice. When they studied the material they had swept up, they found not one head louse!

Interestingly, the children were taken offsite where their heads were inspected, and over 7.000 lice were found and removed from these heads. And even though 7,000+ head lice were found on the children’s heads, not a single louse was discovered on any of the floors. "

xx

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know head lice are a nuisance, but really I don't think it is that bad to cope with. Our school here has had a constant years long battle with headlice.
    I have started using Tea Tree shampoo for myself, but headlice don't seem to like me anyway, so I can't say if it really works or not. I wish I had known though that you could get a nitty gritty comb on prescription, I just bought one last week at at most £10.00!
    Has anyone else noticed that some children just seem more prone than others? One of my daughters had to be treated every week, but my other children seldom got them. No idea what the difference was.
    There are things that I find much worse, such as, impetago, and parents not being honest about when a child has been sick or ill at the weekend and still bringing them. Another thread I know, but much worse than a few lice.
    Out of curiosity - does anyone exclude a child with nits? I never have but I know two childminders who do.

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I use vosene with the repellant on my dd hair and touch wood she hasn't had them I also use the detangling spray with it in plus hairspray ( only a quick spray ) which was a hairdressers suggestion x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast