Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default natural or different resources

IMAG1748.jpg
    hopefully heres a photo of what we will play with this week, been to the 99p and charity shops today and found a few bits,
    what sort of odd bits does everyone else have?IMAG1748.jpg

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks an interesing choice. One of our favourites is the wooden mug tree with bangles to hang off it.

The children also like the basket of baby socks for sorting into pairs, a basket of pine cones & thin ribbons to decorate them with and a wooden box with holes in it. It's supposed to hold CDs, but I saw it & thought "ooh, that'll be good for something!" I put various objects in it & the children try to see which things will fit through the holes.

For this week I've got a big box of packing beads. I'm not sure yet what we'll do with them, but I might set them out with spoons & bowls for scooping.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i bought a shiny 'silver' colander in poundland yesterday. i've put it on a 'silver' metal round tray, with an assortment of pipecleaners and some scoobidoo strings for LOs to thread! i might add some (dried) spaghetti too.

mine love all the glass pebbles and putting them in and out of some old glass jars & glasses of different shapes & sizes.

we're using a mug tree too ( i think i may have got the idea from you mouse ) we have an assortment of bangle, curtain rings, some little wooden rings i saw somewhere and some of those fabric little hair band things!

made me laugh at the childrens centre the other day ... they had a wooden pole on a base ( like a kitchen towel holder ) and some small wooden hoops to go on it. staff member was very proud of it and said 'it was only £20' i said ... my mug tree was 50p, and i've not spent more than a few pounds on anything else! might just keep my eye open for a towel holder now!

4. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i bought a shiny 'silver' colander in poundland yesterday. i've put it on a 'silver' metal round tray, with an assortment of pipecleaners and some scoobidoo strings for LOs to thread! i might add some (dried) spaghetti too.

mine love all the glass pebbles and putting them in and out of some old glass jars & glasses of different shapes & sizes.

we're using a mug tree too ( i think i may have got the idea from you mouse ) we have an assortment of bangle, curtain rings, some little wooden rings i saw somewhere and some of those fabric little hair band things!

made me laugh at the childrens centre the other day ... they had a wooden pole on a base ( like a kitchen towel holder ) and some small wooden hoops to go on it. staff member was very proud of it and said 'it was only £20' i said ... my mug tree was 50p, and i've not spent more than a few pounds on anything else! might just keep my eye open for a towel holder now!
    Only £20...what a bargain...not!

My mug tree was 20p from a carboot sale and the bangles I bought on ebay for 99p (for 28 of them!)

Do you find yourself buying interesting "things" without any clear idea of what you're going to do with them? I'll often buy something & DH will ask what it's for. I say "I don't know...yet"

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

my son thought todays stuff was very randome but actutally quite liked them he's 12yrs old!
    I am interested to see how the 2.5yrold will play with them tomoro as he dosent seem to have any imagination of his own nor does he seem to know how to play, hes ok if there are other children leading the play or if I intereact with him but put him in a room of toys on his own to play and he just sits there starring in to space, at home the tv is on constantly which for most children would be back ground noise I guess but when I do put it on here he sits very still and watches it even if its the news!
    so I am hoping this will inspire him to start playing

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you put some bowls & spoons with the glass beads? If he doesn't have much of an imagination he might struggle to do much with the stuff you've put out as there's nothing specific to do with it. If you have bowls & spoons in the glass beads, it at least gives him an idea of what he could do.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Could you put some bowls & spoons with the glass beads? If he doesn't have much of an imagination he might struggle to do much with the stuff you've put out as there's nothing specific to do with it. If you have bowls & spoons in the glass beads, it at least gives him an idea of what he could do.
    thanks I have added some empty yoghurt pots, spoons, a scoop and we had those chocolate eggs that come in a egg box today so have added the box (unfortunatly there are no eggs left ), I have also discovered a bag full of fir cones I had forgotten about when I was looking for some ribbon and would yo belive the ribbon is still in the box with some tuby pasta which we used last week to make snakes so theres that there now too, looking at it all laid out around the outside of the play room floor I am thinking would it be better displayed on a unit which could be out all the time for them to access the items but what unit? I am rather broke at the moment so does anyone have any cheap unit ideas?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Do you find yourself buying interesting "things" without any clear idea of what you're going to do with them? I'll often buy something & DH will ask what it's for. I say "I don't know...yet"
    oh yes! and coming home with all sorts of things! mind you DH came home from work the other week with a bag of metal discs and asked if i wanted them? i said yes, he asked what for and i said i didn't know yet !!! so for he moans about my 'hoarding' compulsion ... he encourages it too!

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of the glass beads but with a one year old I think that will have to wait. Last week I turned an old wire drawer (from a kitchen cupboard we took out) into a weaving frame by adding ribbons I have collected over time. So felt like a free resource, the kids love it but so far putting all the ribbons on top and pretending it's a birthday cake.

Also just made a hair dressing collection which my boys both three loved, it takes real patience to put hair slides in hair that is only a centimetre long but they both did it!

Reusing my old baby dan metal playpen, which I used to use round a plug in radiator, as a base for den making, I just added old bedspreads and various fabric pieces plus large pegs all stuff I already had just need to buy some very large pegs/clamps

Allie

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I will have a 2.5yrold, 1yrold and 7month old so will sit with them whilde they play with the small bits then remove the small stuff when I have to get up , that way they can all play and enjoy the sensory experiances.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I find jar lids are a really good resource, I have collected a load over time and keep them in an old tupperware box and they love them, counting them, spinning them, posting them x