Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any green fingers out there?

Hello all, seems like Spring is in the air today, hope you have all had a nice day x I'm starting to think about planting/gardening with the children, now I really have not got a clue where to start. I was thinking of buying them a large (ish) pot each and letting them plant some bedding plants, ie. pansies etc and they can put in pebbles, shells, windmills etc and they can have their own little garden to look after.

I also want them to actually plant something so they can watch it grow and look after it, I've done sunflowers in the past but never had much luck with them actually flowering, would like to do something else, anyone got any recommendations which flowers are easy to grow and when to start planting etc.

What do you normally do with your children?

Thanks x

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

We planted parsley seeds last year (super cheap and cheerful), It is a fabulous plant - no flowers but it is so robust and it just keeps going and going, we did it outside which was great, put it in pots and in the garden, it has lasted all winter, I keep cutting back, using in cooking and it flourishes, just keeps coming. And has lasted footballs, little fingers and being knocked over by cosy coupes it just won't give up.
    I can kill most things and the kids generally kill the rest but the parsley is indestructible.
    Have fun and good luck

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You could do tomatoes. Me and my husband do every year and always get a good lot. Going to start doing it with the children too along with cress and then we can put it on sandwiches the mini garden sounds like a good idea. I would just do some colourful flowers and grass seeds for now and see how that goes

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

We did pumpkins last year they were huge! The kids used to sit on them lol they loved carving them for Halloween x
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

JUL 08
    Post Thanks / Like

As Mothers day is coming up why not get some cheap clear small necked vases and hyacinth bulbs. Put water in vase and place bulb in vase so only just touching water.Children can then watch both roots and flowers grow and ladies will love their little gift.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

we grow fruit and veg, we have planted broad beans and potatoes so far this year in pots and will be planting peas, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, in pots and cucumbers in the green house then over the allotment we have raspberry bushes, strawberyy plants, blue berrys, goose berrys, peas, runner beans, onions, celary, parsnips, sweede, sweetcorn and probably more.
    you can also grow rasishes and lettuce in pots so you could grow your own lunch , healthy, educational and fun to grow