Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default electronic learning journeys

does anyone do a learning journey on a computer and keep iton a memory stick instead of a folder to give to parents? I was thinking of doing ljs this way to save paper and ink, I would have a memory stick for each child and put all their photos and obs on the memory stick, I can still use the same lay out as I do in the folders ie little obs with photos and a description next to them then use my big obs sheet and just not print it off but put it in a file, would save space in my home,ink and paper and be enviromental friendly but do you think parents would like this or do you think they would prefer to be able to flick through a folder., I would probably give them the choice of which they would like but wonded if anyone else doe this and how they get on with it.

also I am thinking of doing diarys this way but instead of sending the stick home each day I would email the parents the diary sheet for that day then save them on to a stick for my reference then parents could have a comments box which they could type in and email back to me if they wish, again I would let parents choose wether they would like this or a hand written on but again it would save paper and me some tim as I can type a lot quick than i can write!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine on the computer but I still print it off, mainly as I started with paper ones and also I add in a monthly personal planning sheet that I write as I go through the month, find it hard to have time to log on and type when looking after lo's. .....BUT I think its a good idea, hadn't actually thought of putting it all on a memory stick and having everything in one place....makes good sense to me....I would be interested in how you get on with it.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is SUCH a good idea, especially as most of my parents are under 25 and I know would find electronic versions of communication, Learning Stories etc really appealing. Can't believe I've never thought of this
    I do think I'd ask parents what they prefer first though to be honest, as some might like the Learning Story right there in front of them (especially if they are not good with computers). But I'd really like to see how you get on with this, because it's something I'd really want to do! Good luck!
    Last edited by kellyskidz!; 22-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

It has it's merits, but it's a bit like saying printed book v kindle.

I do most of my work on ****** and find it really good and it looks professional, I still do a LJ/Scrapbook though too, because I enjoy it, and the los can handle it and look back on pics of what they did etc. They may dabble on the comp but they're not capable of trawling through amemory stick version yet. They love having it out every now and then and just look. The parents have both versions, view everything inc obs, planning, photos, etc, everything that's on the site but have the printed ersion too, they love both and don't have aproblem with the fact that it's repeated.
    Ofsted will be able to see both when they come, the difference will be that they will see the CHILDREN accessing the printed version.
    The Nursery class the los will go to have printed versions so that carers - inc me- can just pick them up from their wall pocket and read them, so it keeps me up to date, and I can add things to their versions. Any los that go there who won't be coming to me too can take their printed version with them to add to.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I started e-mailing to parents each evening a sheet detailing what we had done, where we had been, meals, naps etc -one per group of children rather than individual sheet and everyone really likes that, as often children are collected by grandparents and messages don't always get passed on.

Have just started doing my observations on the computer - using same form I used to print off and then handwrite, I think I will still print off completed sheets for LJ (easier for me to flick back through and see progress) and am going to e-mail each completed page to parents as otherwise they have to wait several months before they see LJ when they take it home for a weekend.

I can type faster than I can write too and find if I handwrite an observation I still end up re-writing it neatly and so it makes more sentence - so easier on computer.

I did consider using Orbit but it all looked the same - so I change fonts for each observation to make it look more interesting.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    It has it's merits, but it's a bit like saying printed book v kindle.

I do most of my work on ****** and find it really good and it looks professional, I still do a LJ/Scrapbook though too, because I enjoy it, and the los can handle it and look back on pics of what they did etc. They may dabble on the comp but they're not capable of trawling through amemory stick version yet. They love having it out every now and then and just look. The parents have both versions, view everything inc obs, planning, photos, etc, everything that's on the site but have the printed ersion too, they love both and don't have aproblem with the fact that it's repeated.
    Ofsted will be able to see both when they come, the difference will be that they will see the CHILDREN accessing the printed version.
    The Nursery class the los will go to have printed versions so that carers - inc me- can just pick them up from their wall pocket and read them, so it keeps me up to date, and I can add things to their versions. Any los that go there who won't be coming to me too can take their printed version with them to add to.
    I'm the same. Was doing my online with ****** but foubd myself wanting a paper version to share with the children too.

Post Thanks / Like

I did mine like this (but gave parents a disc every 4 months) but have now transferred to using Orbit as I can share observations instantly. Like you I wanted to save on the cost of ink and paper and it can still be shared with the children, promoting their use of ICT along the way I also do an e-diary every day and email this to parents, parents like this as it means photos can be attached too.
    Cathy
    Pre-school Play

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How would you involve the children in looking through their photos, commenting on activities they have done, choosing and sticking in pieces of work etc?

if children go to another setting how would you share their LJ if it wasn't printed?

Also what would you give to Ofsted as evidence of how you are supporting the child's learning etc?

9. Likes lilac_dragon, watgem liked this post
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Parents would have the memory stick to keep and they can show this to the school, when a child goes to another setting I always do a report for the new setting and this can include my latest obs, children don't look through them at mine as I don't want them being destroyed but we can always make a scrap book of photos and their art work if they wish , ofsted always ring before a visit so I will give them the option of looking throgh memory sticks or me printing of some sample obs, my planning is on a memory stick so they would already be using the computer for that

Post Thanks / Like

check out orbit.so I use it and its fab, kids can view pics on laptop and ipad with me or parents whenever they want at home or with me and its free

12. Likes utunu liked this post
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little word of warning my previous job role was as a manager I had 18 months worth of supervision and appraisal notes on a stick and put it into the computer one day and it wouldn't detect it! It was corrupted and given up thanks then! I do written daily diarys just short and sweet real essential info parents love it and some write their own little entries each day obs are on the computer well the longer ones but printed off for childrens files, shorter obs are handwritten as they are just a few lines! I do scrapbooks as part of their learning journeys and all the children love helping to put them together and decorate them and then we sit and have a look back through them all together! One of our favourite activities )))

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I recently started to use orbit and it has revolutionised my time.

In answer to Sarahs questions I do still have other ways for children to discuss the photos. I have a felt notice board in the playroom that we put photos of our trips on and they can take them off and stick them back again. I also use a photo album that we change the photos in regularly keeping some of the older ones that are the children's favouries.

The way I use orbit is I take a photo of the observation and when its quiet (nap time/self selected play) I upload them via my phone onto orbit just selecting the child's/children's names, date, time and brief description.

After work I then sit down with my paper folders for each child which include their newsletters, termly reports and my tracking sheets for each area of learning. Orbit do offer a tracking system but for now I like my paper copy. I then select the EYFS requirement for the observations. The best thing is you can select more than one area of learning so no more writing xref for me. Then submit and the parent sees it instantly. The parents see the photo and if they wish can select to see the area of learning.

Every term I will download their learning journey as a PDF but I'm not going to print it unless the parent asks me too. Then I will do a final download when the child leaves and I'm undecided whether to print it or put it on a CD for the parents.

I have 7 children in the eyfs and it has really shortened the time I spend with printing, sticking and writing observations.
    Paula

15. Likes utunu, Rolacolapink liked this post