Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conjunctivitis

Registered Childminder since
    sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

We exclude overnight if drops are being used, but no drops = no childcare.

The guidelines might say one thing but they are a guide, your the boss!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I also exclude, a few years ago a baby came with it, even with all the hygiene regimes by the end if the day I had it!! I rand the doctors for drops, could hardly see, because my vision was so bad they sent me to casualty!! I was in excruciating pain, and for any parent who says its just conjunctivitis evidently has never had it!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is that a lot of doctors now don't prescribe for it because it has been shown that in most cases it clears up on its own after 2-3 days. I must say I have never excluded for it unless the child is so ill they can't take place in normal activities. Maybe I have been lucky over the 19 years I have been childminding but I have never caught it and nor have any children in my care at the time. HPA recommend no exclusion. I would feel if I chose to exclude because of it I wouldn't charge for the time.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a policy and I do exclude for ALL under 5s until its gone with no exceptions - all my parents are told this before they sign up with me and Ive never had a problem (and yes I charge full fee for this as a 'sickness') - at the end of the day its your business so your choice - as long as you have a policy and parents are aware then I dont see an issue

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be spread by coughs and sneezes as it's in the droplets. Washing hands and good hygiene is great for older children, that's why schools don't exclude but the younger ones can't manage their own hygiene e.g catching coughs and sneezes in a tissue.
    I exclude till eyes no longer red and no more discharge, written into my sick child policy with exclusion periods.
    Carol

apr 87
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the HPA exclusion list from 2010, it's being revised August this year xx

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFil.../1194947358374

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this is interesting, last week I didn't exclude as we aren't allowed and child was happy so I carried on and went to the local childminding group non of them were happy that we were there and although I wasn't asked to leave I could tell they didn't think I should be there

Apr 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

As it happens my lo ended up catching this and then because he was fighting off this infection, he ended up with another infection in his upper respitory tract which then resulted in tonsillitis! This ended up me having to take the week off work with him cus he was so poorly

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    Well this is interesting, last week I didn't exclude as we aren't allowed and child was happy so I carried on and went to the local childminding group non of them were happy that we were there and although I wasn't asked to leave I could tell they didn't think I should be there
    HPA don't recommend exclusion but we can if we choose to and if we do it should be in our policies.

I choose to exclude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12