Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what should I do

Hi, I need some advice,

I have a parent that is reducing the hours I care for her child from 2 days to 1 day. I am happy with this arrangement and told parent that I need 4 weeks notice in writing stating the last day of care on the day for the Monday that is ending.

I am on unpaid holiday for 2 weeks and mum has included these 2 weeks in the notice period. I have Morton Michel contracts and they state a 4 week notice period but doesnt say anything about unpaid holidays.

It states at the end "This contract is governed by the laws of England"

I have a good relationship with this family and they paid a 4 week deposit to be used for the notice period at the end of the contract and they pay a month in advance so I have the money but I want to do what is fair but I dont want to be out of pocket when they have halfed the hours.

What do you think I should do, should I accept 2 weeks pay or not and how do I word it to her? Mum works in HR for a large company.
    Jane xxx

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same happen to me twice however my contracts clearly state the notice period must not include any holiday. I have good relationship with both sets of parents and I didn't want to jeopardise it over £25 especially as they both brought some new business my way so I let it go. I guess it just depends how much money you're talking about and if you have the bit where the notice cannot include holiday.

3. Likes sarah707, jane5 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that your notice should be 4 weeks paid.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have taken a Deposit that is to be used to cover the notice period then you have been paid for the four weeks notice. Do a new Contract for the new hours and take a new deposit to represent the new hours.