Have you ever challenged a parent over whether they've changed their child's nappy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahem , well I am a little concerned now.

They arrived at 8.40 just as we were leaving to go to school, mum said sorry we were late she had 'half' a dirty nappy so I changed her (that was why they were late). Fair enough. Didn't check how wet her nappy was as we were straight out.

By half past 9 she had wet through to her tights and baby gro so I changed her. The nappy was bulging again.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try saying that you've noticed how frequently lo is very wet by the time you get chance to change her, despite mum having put a clean nappy on her in the morning, you assume. Obviously it's not good for her in this weather. Suggest mum tries 2 nappies on her for the morning drop off. I used to do that with one of my mindees when he slept. He would go down with a clean nappy on, but would be wet through to his clothes by the time he woke up, a maximum of 2 hours later. He was the same at night & mum was having to change him all the time. I'd put 2 nappies on him when he went to sleep. That was enough to contain it all. When he woke up I'd take the bottom nappy off, but could sometimes leave the outer one on if it wasn't too wet. Mum did the same at night & it made a huge difference.

At least if you speak to mum in that way it doesn't look like you're accusing her of neglect. It might just be enough to make her think if she isn't changing the nappy in the morning. She might either explain why she isn't doing it, say that she does & will try the double nappy thing, or she'll keep quiet, know she's been rumbled & start putting her lo in a clean nappy each morning

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of interest, what sort of nappies does she use? Some of the cheaper ones are rubbish and don't hold much at all.

4. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

She was using Aldi own brand but is now on Huggies size 5's

Post Thanks / Like

Is lo filling up on juice or milk on the way to yours? If mums in a rush she may be having a beaker/bottle on the way instead of one at breakfast and drinking too much in one go.
    If she changed her first thing then she was soaking wet by 9.30 it sounds like she's drinking too much in the morning rather than her not being changed when she gets up.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottle on way to mine, but not always drunk. Mum doesn't have time to give breakfast and I can't because of the time she arrives.Has to wait until 10/10.30 when we sit down and have toast/snack , but usually I'll give her hers when we return from school run.

Lots of things are stacking up now and I don't like where this is headed.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang on a minute, mum said this morning the reason why there were late was because the little one had done half a dirty nappy. It's now lunchtime and there's no sign of the rest of it. I haven't mentioned anything about the nappies yet.

How long does it take for the rest of the poo to come out. I've got to take three to the nativity this afternoon.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nipper View Post
    Hang on a minute, mum said this morning the reason why there were late was because the little one had done half a dirty nappy. It's now lunchtime and there's no sign of the rest of it. I haven't mentioned anything about the nappies yet.

How long does it take for the rest of the poo to come out. I've got to take three to the nativity this afternoon.
    whats 'half a dirty nappy'?

10. Likes little chickee, Mouse liked this post
    oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but what on earth is half a dirty nappy?
    I assume child usually has a massive poo and this was smaller? Maybe thats all he needed!

If mum doesnt have time to give him brekfast and she knows that because of your routine he won't get brekfast til later i'm sorry but she needs to get up earlier. Much as i hate to wake a sleeping child she is just going to have to to ensure that he is changed and fed before arriving at yours.

All these things plus your other post about unsuitable clothes I think you need to put your profeesional hat on and ask for a meeting.
    It can be freindly etc but child needs suitable clothing, needs nappy to be changed properly and needs to get up in enough time to have a breakfast. Its easy to start on a slippery slope towards neglect however unintentinal

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    Sorry but what on earth is half a dirty nappy?
    I assume child usually has a massive poo and this was smaller? Maybe thats all he needed!

If mum doesnt have time to give him brekfast and she knows that because of your routine he won't get brekfast til later i'm sorry but she needs to get up earlier. Much as i hate to wake a sleeping child she is just going to have to to ensure that he is changed and fed before arriving at yours.

All these things plus your other post about unsuitable clothes I think you need to put your profeesional hat on and ask for a meeting.
    It can be freindly etc but child needs suitable clothing, needs nappy to be changed properly and needs to get up in enough time to have a breakfast. Its easy to start on a slippery slope towards neglect however unintentinal
    I agree with little chickee, if not neglect, maybe the family need some extra support from outside agencies

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Half a dirty nappy is for this one, who has real problems pooing and is on what I can only guess is child laxatives. I don't give these but as far as I know she has them in water (again not sure how many doses per day). She is usually in agony when she poos or at best a lot of discomfort.
    I've never known her to have a bowel movement in the morning, it's usually around lunchtime.

I will mention to mum at collection

jul 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

im presuming laxatives are precription so therefore has seen a doctor ...otherwise excessive wee and constipation can be signs of T1 diabetes,might be worth mentioning to mam
    .In my experience some LO start saving their wee into big wee's just before theyre ready to start potty training and these arent always contained very well ,like nappy cant soak it up quick enough,check her regularly and see if see's going from dry to soaked rather than a gradual fill up,might be able to work out how long she is going between wees and pop her on the potty when she has a full bladder

15. Likes k1rstie liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Half a dirty nappy is for this one, who has real problems pooing and is on what I can only guess is child laxatives. I don't give these but as far as I know she has them in water (again not sure how many doses per day). She is usually in agony when she poos or at best a lot of discomfort.
    I've never known her to have a bowel movement in the morning, it's usually around lunchtime.

I will mention to mum at collection
    Thanks Nipper

Another gaping hole in my knowledge now filled

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally would be more concerned about the fact the child doesnt get anything to eat until 10-10.30. Why on earth isnt she getting up earlier and getting her child organised. Taking both things into consideration I think perhaps you should be seeking advice on this one.
    Last edited by caz3007; 13-12-2012 at 04:01 PM.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Pleased to say mum went to Asda and bought a new outfit with warmer trousers and a thicker top.

19. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pleased to say mum went to Asda and bought a new outfit with warmer trousers and a thicker top.

That is good. How was the nappy this morning?

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have spoken to mum about it and suggested that there might be a very slim possibility she's ready for potty training. Mum says she's dry when she wakes up, so it definitely the sudden rush of wee that's causing that nappy to get full so quickly. She has also mentioned that when Daddy baths her, she keeps saying "need a wee, need a wee" so they put her on the potty but nothing happens. At least if she recognises the sensation, she's part of the way there isn't she? I did say it might be better if they waited until it's a little bit warmer though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12