Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attendance Register question

Hi folks,

Just after a little advice. I have an after schoolie who will now be picked up by a grandparent. Do I just get them to sign the attendance register as mum used to? I feel quite thick asking this! Lol!

Also - do you enter the actual times attended or from the time you picked up? At the moment I am just putting an In time of when we come through the door, that's right isn't it? Mum pays a set time fee so I don't use it to tot up hours or anything. Just suddenly worried that perhaps it should be from when I take care of him.

Too much going on in my little head this morning and I'm confusing myself! I need more coffee!

Dx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i pick up from school and i write down the time the child came to me at school, as they are then in my care.

i have grandparents and all sorts sign my attendence record! the only time i don't ask them, is if they only do so on an occaisonal basis. i have another mum who never signs, as she drops off in the morning, i take mindee to school & she picks up from school. they don't need to sign.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We also put the time we collect the schoolies not the time we arrive home.
    I don't ask parents to sign the register.

4. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    Same here. I put the time that I become responsible for them. so when they come out of school. Similarly, I write their drop off time as the time they go into school, not the time we leave the house to go to school/nursery.

I don't get parents to sign the register.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night on a training course I said something about nightmare trying to get some parents to sign attendance registers each week or month let alone discuss childs progress and lots of people said "you get parents to sign register", seems like I was in a minority - I am currently finishing up my NCMA register but not with them anymore so may just make up my own and won't put down a space for parents to sign attendance - parents don't have to sign each week at Nursery.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, I write the times the children come to me when collecting from school, parents, grandparents , aunties etc have all signed my register. I always ask them to write exact times too. xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

As the children are only dropped off at mine or picked up from mine, the parents or who ever does it signs the children in with the time they arrive and signs them out with the time they go, I know not so easy if at different places, the children then put there photos up so we know who is here, kids love doing that, or parent does it if little one to young to do themself.
    Teacake2

Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone - glad I asked now. I'm in the swing with parents signing so will continue to do so - but with grandparent from now on. BUT will now put times as from when I take responsibility. I only pick up from school and the he is collected from me so i input the times and parent signs it. I don't do the morning run.

Told you I needed more coffee!!!!! Thanks again.

Dx

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is something I got picked up on as, like alot of you guys, I didn't used to get the parents to sign my register....I do now! I would suggest you all do the same, as suppose (and it may never happen) that something happens to the child while they weren't with you and the parent tries to blame you for it? It's to cover your own back really - it's a pain having to do it but that's life.

Hels xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Last night on a training course I said something about nightmare trying to get some parents to sign attendance registers each week or month let alone discuss childs progress and lots of people said "you get parents to sign register", seems like I was in a minority - I am currently finishing up my NCMA register but not with them anymore so may just make up my own and won't put down a space for parents to sign attendance - parents don't have to sign each week at Nursery.
    I have used the NCMA attendance register for 18 years and have always got the parents to sign. It is not required but is good practice and could save your neck one day as it demonstrates that the parent has been informed of times especially if you are taking or collecting from school or pre school, it also demonstrates they are confirming what you have written is correct and this information, believe me I have been there only once but it was vital info for Ofsted when a parent accused me of collecting late from school and not telling them. I was able to copy the signed attendance register to Ofsted and prove she was not telling the truth.

Also from a safe guarding point of view it is good practice to have the record signed. Its odd that so many seem to have difficulty I never have because all my parents are told this is what I do and they just do it each week, some even ask me!!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've also used the NCMA attendance register and got the parents to sign at the end of each week.

I put time of arrival and time of departure exactly.

It's just something I've always done for the past 10 years even if the kids are acting up etc.

13. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    Same here. I make my own attendance sheets, I don't use NCMA ones anymore

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I should get them to sign, BUT I still do not get it!!!

If over the week, there is Mum, dad, even a granny or two, all picking up or dropping off, how can you get one parent to sign at the end of the week. Surely, they are not really able to confirm the times of anyones collection but their own. A register signed once a month surely would not stand up legally, as really the parent would not have a clue, and was 'just signing it 'cos she told me too!'

My friend has her register set up so that the parents write their own times in and out, plus sign, This seems to work well with her.

We could get to the silly point of having to ask the schools and nurserys to sign our records as the kids go into and out of school!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always ask parents to sign when I give them their invoices - they get into the routine fairly quickly and now ask me if I forget

I take the attendance register out of my file, clip it to the invoice then as I hand the invoice over I say 'please check and sign to confirm last month's times' and hand them a pen.

I think it's important to ask them to sign because they can't turn round and say I have billed them wrongly.

It is not a requirement though - the Eyfs simply says we must keep an accurate record of children's attendance.

Hth

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I always ask parents to sign when I give them their invoices - they get into the routine fairly quickly and now ask me if I forget

I take the attendance register out of my file, clip it to the invoice then as I hand the invoice over I say 'please check and sign to confirm last month's times' and hand them a pen.

I think it's important to ask them to sign because they can't turn round and say I have billed them wrongly.

It is not a requirement though - the Eyfs simply says we must keep an accurate record of children's attendance.

Hth
    How are they going to remember a month of times?

This is why I stopped asking parents to sign, they didn't even glance at the times just signed....I could have got them to sign their riches away to me lol!!

18. Likes k1rstie liked this post