Toileting accident at playgroup , who collects?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Back when I lived in darlington my ds2 was in reception and had a poo accident - school brought his big brother , age 6 , to help him clean himself up! You can imagine the state he came home in.
    I agree with the others , PG cannot stipulate this - however if you and mum dont want to address this then she needs to keep him with you instead! Can you access the funding?
    You are kidding?

That is shocking, im speechless actually
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

And the poor child is supposed to do what whilst it is waiting for mum or carer to arrive...this is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting. One of my mums works in an old peoples home, slightly different I know but if one of the residents has an accident however minor, they have been told to phone 999 and not touch them in the slightest, not even to comfort them. What has happened to society?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nipper View Post
    And the poor child is supposed to do what whilst it is waiting for mum or carer to arrive...this is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting. One of my mums works in an old peoples home, slightly different I know but if one of the residents has an accident however minor, they have been told to phone 999 and not touch them in the slightest, not even to comfort them. What has happened to society?
    Society is going downhill fast. Health and safety rules are making life so hard

I get cross when children at school are sent outside in the summer months with no suncream because the staff are 'not allowed' to put it on them. What 4-5yr old can apply cream properly.
    And the reason they give at my school is 'We would have to wash our hands between each child because of allergies and it would take too long'

Ok....so we get a big problem with skin cancer in 15-20yrs time then
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with you there. All I got from my children's school was "Well if you apply their suncream before they come to school", "Oh you mean at 8am when the sun isn't even out?", "Yes that's right, it should last all day". "Hmm, how do you work that out?"
    The thought of my five yr old getting suncream in her eyes is too much to bear.

Sorry i digress...apologies for hijacking the original post

sept 94
    Post Thanks / Like

we had this last year A had an accident in the school nursery and rachel had to go and bring her home and changed her then take her back . The next time Rachel took clean clothes and changed her in the nursery.

cathy

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all I can't believe settings are allowed to get away with this practice in this day and age, absolutely shocking!
    Secondly that is a tricky position for you to be in, whilst I appreciate it's not fair on the parent to have to come out of work to deal with this, it's also not fair on you to be on tenterhooks all the time in case you get a call, especially if you others to care for. It's just not a practical situation is it, I for one would not be happy to be told I have to come back from a walk in the woods or wherever simply to change a child. I'm afraid I would explain to the parent that it's just not practical for me to be 'on call' in that way, that I would be happy keep the child with me and provide care for those hours but I will not be cancelling other plans to go and change him.
    Not to mention the bigger issue of what the poor child is supposed to do while waiting for someone to turn up, I would be looking for alternative playgroups.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

what a mad set up!!

My girls went to a playgroup at 2 1/2 and they didnt have to be toilet trained - the staff there were happy to change nappies and when child starting toilet training they were happy to support the child with this.

They moved to school nursery at 3 and a bit and for this they had to be toilet trained. If any child did have an accident they were always changed and everychild had a spare set of clothes kept at nursery.

At the school although they are older again I have known the odd child to have an accident especially when starting at the age of 5 and they are always cleaned up there too

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a ridiculous practice. It would be very impractical for any of my parents to be called out of work to do this. Many of them work in London and those that work locally are teachers. So although I would be a bit fed up at having to abandon my plans for the morning I wouldn't expect a teacher to leave her class to go and change a pair of mucky pants !
    TBH I would be recommending a change of pre school to a more caring one.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    No i would have thought that as a nursery cannot turn a child away and discriminate against a child who wears nappies and may have a health problem for example then I would have thought they are obliged to change nappies and children if required......this sounds terrible and totally wrong, never heard of such a ridiculous thing that a nursery won't change a child, a school will change a child if they have an accident.......
    Our school won't, they call parent to come and do it.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrs robbie williams View Post
    i seem to remember that this happens at our school nursery - its been a while since i dealt with them - but i remember thinking what if the child's parents work in london - are the school seriously expecting them to get on a train to change their child's clothing and then get on the train and go back to work it is madness - is it to do with their insurance or something, or staffing numbers?
    This happened to my friends little girl. My friend works in the City of London and had to do an hours journey to change her little one who had had an accident at school (reception) she said her daughter was made to stand the whole time and was very subdued when she arrived. My friend was fuming understandably and put in a complaint to the head, not sure what happened with that though.

Aug 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am genuinely shocked. I have worked in and managed nurseries in the 13 years before becoming a childminder and I have not once come across this! Firstly I was always under the impression it was illegal to refuse a child that was in nappies and secondly leaving a child in soiled clothes while they wait for parents to pick them up?! Disgusting and cruel and I am shocked that any parent would send their child to a nursery that had this policy! Difficult position for you I appreciate, I would tell mum that its impractical to expect anyone to rush in to change clothes everytime a child has an accident and perhaps this is something she needs to discuss with the nursery and sorry but I would personally be making a complaint about this nursery, I'm sure they can't get away with that.
    Stella

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to visit a preschool with my son a couple of years back and just as we went in to look around, he did a massive poo in his nappy. I asked if there was a suitable space where I could change him and was told 'No. You'll have to go outside the grounds of the nursery and then come back. We'll show you the door'. It was raining outside. I walked out of that nursery and kept right on walking. Found it really strange that they wouldn't allow me to even change his nappy in their premises but found out from friends that they have a similar policy whereby they will not accept children in pull-ups and call the parent to collect if they soil. So it's definitely still happening here and there.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

so what happens if the child has additional needs and is still in nappies? i am aware of children in both nursery and school ( mainstream ) who have additional needs and wear nappies, and another who has frequent accidents. all of these children are cleaned up with not a word. i have found though, that the schools in our area do seem to be a bit more accepting, than schools i have come across in the past!

apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I work in Pre School - we take children from 2 yrs old
    We change nappies and pants on occasion, cant see what the problem is to be honest
    Mandy
    Anyone got any Chocolate Buttons?

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatjana View Post
    Our school won't, they call parent to come and do it.
    Mine won't either. I was appalled when my youngest, then in Reception, had quite a serious fall and grazed hands and knees, then wet himself with the shock. They called me, 40 minutes journey away, to say they were unable to deal with "bodily fluids" so would need me to come and take him home for a clean up and put on sticking plasters and a change of clothes, then bring him back. When I got there sense had prevailed to the extent of one of the TAs helped him to get out of his wet and bloodstained clothes and into his PE kit, but he was left sitting on a stool in the corner looking like he was in disgrace and other kids had been teasing him. He had evidently been crying and burst into tears when I arrived so I took him home for the rest of the day. In the circumstances I was happy to take him home, and there would in fact have been little point in taking him back, but was dismayed that he had not been treated more kindly and effectively. But when I complained that the so-called policy was ridiculous, particularly with regard to such little ones, and should they not have had somebody on first aid duty, all they said was well somebody did change him in the end so we didn't actually apply the policy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12