Child keeps coming with a cough
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Child keeps coming with a cough

I am strict with sickness and say they can't return until 48 hours after being sick. But no idea what to do about a 2 year old with a cough. Its not a constant cough, but has been same for well over a week. I have suggested mum do something about it but she says there isn't any point because she knows the doctors won't give him anything. At what point would you refuse to have him until he has been to the doctor/ the cough has cleared up?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do anything to be honest.

Some children will have coughs on and off all through the winter.

As long as the child is able to do all the things you do in the day and hasn't got a temperature there isn't much that will or can be done. The mum is right the doctor won't do anything either I'm afraid.

3. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with Rickysmiths.

Is mum giving any medication or asking you to do so? I have a general rule in my medicines policy, based on the fact that 'over-the-counter' medicines always state to need to refer to a GP if the condition persists beyond 'X' number of days. If they reach that point and are still medicating, then I will insist the child needs to see the doctor as a matter of the lo's welfare (and at least mum can tell doc that she's followed the advice of the medicine/pharmacist, which makes it a little harder for doc to ignore.)

TBH I haven't had a problem over this, but don't know if that's because mums know it's in my policy or if I just have nice parents.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If I get a cold and it turns into a cough, I can be coughing for 4+ weeks - think some people are just more prone to coughs than others - could it be an allergy with this child, or early indication of asthma?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps if it goes on much longer note your concern in his diary and that you advise a trip to GP but as others have said there's not much they can do.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought..........Do they cough after exercise, laughing or getting hot? If so, maybe get them checked for asthma.
    This is how I picked up that my daughter had Asthma, as she was always coughing after running around and getting hot or laughing.
    Toothfairy

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies. Its a chesty cough, doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular. I think I am more bothered than I would normally be due to other issues with the child - I will try and bear that in mind and keep the issues separate.

9. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

load of mine have chesty coughs at the mo it is going around. Nothing to be done except let it run its course.....