Thread: Space

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Space

Hello,

I hope someone that is good at the maths side can help- its probabley very easy to work out but I can't get my head around it. Firstly my minding room is 15ft by 10ft. How many children can I have, I know the EYFS states space requirements for ages etc but I can't work it out!!! I have children wanting to start but need to check space, I also have a playroom upstairs which I need to measure.

Thanks in advance
    Jodie

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are you registered with Ofsted?

If so you can have as many children as are stated on your registration certificate - which is normally 6 under 8 with your own children taking up spaces within the 6 (if relevant).

The spaces rules come in if you want to care for more than 6 under 8 by, for example, employing an assistant or working with another childminder.

If you did this you would need to get planning permission first and there are rules about employing assistants / staff in the Eyfs.

Hth

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's 150 square feet, which is about 14 square metres. That's more than enough for any combination of 3 children under 5 years old. Remember it's only the useable space of each room that counts, but you can include floor space in hallways, etc.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Are you registered with Ofsted?

If so you can have as many children as are stated on your registration certificate - which is normally 6 under 8 with your own children taking up spaces within the 6 (if relevant).

The spaces rules come in if you want to care for more than 6 under 8 by, for example, employing an assistant or working with another childminder.

If you did this you would need to get planning permission first and there are rules about employing assistants / staff in the Eyfs.

Hth

Thanks for reply- yes I am register with ncma and ofsted

I had four children under 5 allowed when working with my assistant who is self employed- but now have a new extention what is the planning permission bit? I'm not aware of this, how does it work?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freckleonear View Post
    That's 150 square feet, which is about 14 square metres. That's more than enough for any combination of 3 children under 5 years old. Remember it's only the useable space of each room that counts, but you can include floor space in hallways, etc.
    Thank you this is a really helpful reply I have this space again in my new extention , I also work with my assistant too so does that mean I am perfectly alright to have 6 under 5's with 2 staff and the room I have- i can meet all needsas have looked at it very carefully, I phoned ofsted who said they know longer give variations as the new calculations are in EYFS(which I know but like clarification to be sure)

Thank you very much
    Jodie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you want to care for more than 6 children under the age of 8 at the same time you might need to apply for planning permission from your local authority.

If you do need to apply then you must not go over 6 under 8 until you have had the permission authorised.

If you need to apply and you do not apply you might not be insured.

It can take up to 3 months depending on your local authority - that's the average time scale - costs around £350 and is NOT guaranteed.

It affects all kinds of things like the way your home is classed for council tax - I am not an expert you should get advice really if you are told you need to apply.

I hope this helps

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    If you want to care for more than 6 children under the age of 8 at the same time you might need to apply for planning permission from your local authority.

If you do need to apply then you must not go over 6 under 8 until you have had the permission authorised.

If you need to apply and you do not apply you might not be insured.

It can take up to 3 months depending on your local authority - that's the average time scale - costs around £350 and is NOT guaranteed.

It affects all kinds of things like the way your home is classed for council tax - I am not an expert you should get advice really if you are told you need to apply.

I hope this helps
    Thanks Sarah, I won't be going over 6 children, but am I allowed 6 under 5,s with my registered assistant with the space I stated in message before, aslong as meeting all children's needs?
    Last edited by Jodie1989; 12-11-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not assume that you can have 6 under 8s whatever. That number will be less if you have less space so no you can't automatically have 6 under 8s and then only apply the space rules to any over that!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Do not assume that you can have 6 under 8s whatever. That number will be less if you have less space so no you can't automatically have 6 under 8s and then only apply the space rules to any over that!
    Please read the space comments above.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry maybe I'm not making myself clear as people I think are getting confused by what I'm asking.

This is what I would like advice on please

Working with a registered assistant for two days per week( who is currently registering as a childminder), I have two rooms for the children to play in both 10ft by just over 14ft (only counting the useable space in the two rooms) is this enough space to mind 6 under 5's, one being my son and one being assistants daughter.( not that this matters as I know all children are counted in the 6)

Both experienced childcare providers who know the children's needs and abilities.
    Thanks
    Jodie