Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Soiled pull-ups being sent home!!

I was looking in lo's bag for pants. He is being potty trained at mo, at mine he wears pants but at pre-school he wears pull-ups I had just picked him up from pre-school so was putting him in pants and in his bag contained in a nappy sack was a pull-up filled with poo I spoke to dad when he came to pick up and he said they always do it What is that all about surely this is not right!! I have worked in many childcare settings and we had to dispose of nappies hygienically and certainly would not send them home. Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Pipsqueak Guest

I find that absolutely revolting - what if it split, what if a child got into the bag, what if the bag was squashed. Was it double bagged at the very least?

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG!!
    That is so wrong for so many reasons

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the pre-school has nowhere to dispose of nappies, or if they would have to pay to have them taken away?

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would check with the pre school their reasons for this.
    They may believe they have to have to dispose of nappies in a special bin, can't think of the correct name at the moment.
    There have been rumours here for some time that the council will soon not take nappies from childminders just put into ordinary household waste, but they we would have to have the 'yellow' bins, and pay for a special collection. I had decided myself that if that was the case I would just have to send soiled nappies home. So far this has not happened, but maybe the pre school think they have to.
    Surely though they should have some sort of separate bag, not just stuff the nappy sack into his rucksack. Yuk

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The pre-school my LO's go to are not allowed to put them in the school bin - they are on a school site. They give a slip of paper at the end of session to let you know there is a bag to collect with a pooey nappy in. They hang them outside on the fence and you go and collect your special package at the end. I noticed today there were about 5 named bags on the fence, you can see there are a lot of new littlies started.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lozzy23 View Post
    The pre-school my LO's go to are not allowed to put them in the school bin - they are on a school site. They give a slip of paper at the end of session to let you know there is a bag to collect with a pooey nappy in. They hang them outside on the fence and you go and collect your special package at the end. I noticed today there were about 5 named bags on the fence, you can see there are a lot of new littlies started.
    that's so funny. That's tickled me
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an old thread where it was discussed

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...g+nappies+home

BucksCM Guest

This made me giggle
    I can just imagine my parents having to collect named nappy bags at the end of the day!!

Post Thanks / Like

It could be to do with waste removal. Our preschool also asks parents to place sealed dirty/wet nappies in their own dustbins because it would cost preschool a fortune each year for the council to remove 'trade' or 'biological' waste.
    If I remember correctly a few years ago on this forum there were several cases of childminders being asked by councils to register for trade waste collection (at a large cost) due to nappies.
    Last edited by sillysausage; 04-10-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: additional comment

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say it's tempting to send them home when dustbin is emptied here on a Wed and my last mindee of the week is a Thurs! the thought of that last days poop hanging about for a week - yuck!

If it has to go home with the child, double bagged and in a separate carrier at least - not in a backpack That's what I do with washables parent provides
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

just YUCK!

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    I have to say it's tempting to send them home when dustbin is emptied here on a Wed and my last mindee of the week is a Thurs! the thought of that last days poop hanging about for a week - yuck!
    Pixiepetal I think you are lucky - our bins are emptied every 2 weeks and my 11mth old mindee normally has 3 poos a day (4 if he is feeling generous!) - 4 days a week and then there is the other two nappy wearers. phewwwwieee my bin honks.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No not double bagged at all and the smell and no warnings!! It all just seems wrong to me surely when running a childcare setting they know that there will be soiled nappy to be disposed of. God they have special council bins for dog mess surely they can accommodate children's waste!!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixiepetal I think you are lucky - our bins are emptied every 2 weeks and my 11mth old mindee normally has 3 poos a day (4 if he is feeling generous!) - 4 days a week and then there is the other two nappy wearers. phewwwwieee my bin honks.
    Yuck! glad half my mindees are in washables - half the poop in my bin!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this not prove the point that children are going into formal education too early?
    Surely a preschool is not suitable for children who are wearing pull ups and are not fully trained?
    Obviously there are odd accidents, but this seems a bit much!

feb 91
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you still get those nappy liners we used to use for terries?
    They could be used inside disposables and the soiled liner flushed away, before bagging and binning the nappy
    That's a really good idea Margi!! I should use it myself!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm frankly appaulled by the idea that any EY setting should conduct this disgusting and unhygienic practice just to save money.

I don't care whether it's a preschool, nursery or CM - it's not on.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really see a problem. The nappies are bagged and are not left for an extended period of time. Preschool sessions are 3 hours max and I'm sure most children don't soil their nappies as soon as they are dropped off. I myself put bagged nappies in my porch until I can take them to the dustbin. This can sometimes be at the end of the day. Not ideal but better than leaving them in the house.
    Most preschools are community based and are as such not for profit. This means that any extra charges have to be directly passed on to the parents in the form of increased fees. Preschools have to get a financial balance between what they need operate and what they can charge in their locality. Extra costs in terms of trade waste collection can lead to having to pay business rates and all sorts of other extras. Until a few years ago it was common practice for children to have to be out of nappies before attending preschool. Then it became an equal opportunity issue that it wasn't fair or right to deny a place based on a child's toileting stage. At that point preschool started at 2.5 yrs and most children were out of nappies. Now children can go to preschool from age 2 and children are in general later at being potty trained.
    Several local toddler groups run out of church halls also have notices asking parents to take used nappies home, rather than leave them in the church's bins. Much the same as the preschool.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by margimum View Post
    Does this not prove the point that children are going into formal education too early?
    Surely a preschool is not suitable for children who are wearing pull ups and are not fully trained?
    Obviously there are odd accidents, but this seems a bit much!
    Oh how I agree with you on this one. When my two went to Playgroup they had to be 2yrs 9mths as a min and could not attend until they were potty trained unless there was a medical reason for not being trained. The trouble is they take them at 2yrs now and a lot of children seem to be being trained a lot later.

It is a yellow bin that we would have and we are all permitted to ask for one but they are expensive to be collected. However they do not have to be collected until they are full. I do not intend to have a yellow bin and if the day arrives that we have to have one I will be double bagging and sending all nappies home for disposal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast