your thoughts please

Hybrid View

Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default your thoughts please

I have 2 schools within 5 mins walk from my home and within 5 mins walk of each other, I have always had plenty of work from them but this year I have had 3 sibblings move away and another 2 children leave my care for various reasons all schoolies and now I have one schoolie 2 days a week plus there are at least 4 childmminders I know of visit these schools. A school which is about a 10min drive in the school rush hour only has one childminder and lots of people are asking me if I collect from there so I am now considering forgetting the local schools and driving to this other one instead, has anyone done this before or do any of you drive to school and back if so what are the issues you've encounted and what are the pros and cons.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you be able to fit enough kids in the car to make it worthwhile?

Would you be happy to commit to going to the other school long term? What if you had an enquiry next month for a local school?

Would it interfere with the other schoolie you have at the local school two days a week, or your own child? Could you do both?

Do you need the money, or are you happy to be less busy?

No experience, but those are my thoughts x

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have collected by car in the past but now only collect from the school within walking distance. It worked for me for a time - it depends on how busy you want to be. I often have 8 or 10 kids after school so it wouldn't work for me now.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also, we're heading rapidly into winter - it's 10 minutes now, how long would it take if we have severe weather again this year?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What about if you had car trouble?
    I have bad luck with cars (or rubbish old cars ) so I won't commit to anything that involves having to rely on one. I always walk to school and nursery.

xxx

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    What about if you had car trouble?
    I have bad luck with cars (or rubbish old cars ) so I won't commit to anything that involves having to rely on one. I always walk to school and nursery.

xxx
    I definately agree with Alice. My car has just died and its going to cost more to fix than its worth, so no car now and Ive got the school run starting again on Thursday - Its going to be a LONG walk, especially in the rain!!

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks folks, lots to think about there, my children are both at high school now so would be able to walk home and let themselves in, if there was a problem with my car the school is within walking distance theres a shorter route than the road we can take but although its walking distance it would take me about 20-30mins at a guess so lovley on a nice day but not so on a raininy day I suppose but could be done. As for bad weather I guess if the roads are that bad the schools would be shut anyway and if not I am sure they would be understanding of parents/carers not arriving on time. as for numbers of children I have a 7 seater so would stick to my 6 children but then thats plenty anyway.
    the only real worry i think would be the bad weather thing but as I said if the weather was that bad I cant see the schools being open.