Paddling Pool?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Paddling Pool?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paddling Pool?

This may sound like a silly question but do people have a paddling pool out for mindees or are the health and safety implications and risk assessments not worth the risk?

I am a non-swimmer too which makes me wonder if that would look bad? Obviously our pool is hardly deep enough swim in but I am sure you understand what I mean.

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I know childminders that have them but I think it depends on your situation. My garden and downstairs are almost like 1 big space and the door is pretty much always open (- except when freezing cold) and even then we are in and out. Unless I was locking the door I wouldn't trust an older child not to open the door and then I would have young children and water and potentially if I am upstairs getting a little one up for a nap or inside changing a nappy I would not be able to see and it would only take a second for an accident to happen. I have a water table that has a lid on it and one of the children got the lid of himself the other day and was leaning over the side to reach something on the other side - he could so easily have fallen in and not righted himself. Fortunately I was in the garden and could see what was going on but him getting the lid of was not something I was aware he could do so quite worrying really. If your children only go out as a group and with you then you would always be there to supervise. My garden is tiny and has a high locked gate so limted as to where they can go and what they can do in terms of risk but with a paddling pool out there I wouldn't be able to leave them. depends how many you got at a time.
    I don't think you being a non swimmer would make any difference in a paddling pool situation.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We allow the to use the paddling pool. We only have it out on the days when there is 2 or 3 of them and there is 2 adults to supervise.

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use one, I only fill it as deep as I'd fill a water tray so it's got the same risks as having the water tray out, and that's out all the time

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting mine out today but only because I've got 1 x 7 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. I don't have it out when I have more than 1 littlie and its only one of the small round ones that cost £3 or £4 so not a huge amount of water! Sometimes I have the sprinkler on instead or just the sand table filled with water - they all seem to enjoy that!!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I do sometimes, very shallow and empty out when I need to leave the garden, or we use the hose pipe which the chikdren love as they are not normally allowed it.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a larger "pool" kind of one, that is inflatable. It only gets used at the weekend when not working as I don't like the idea of mindees in there and something happening if I needed a wee or something like that.

I do have a water tray out and a small 2 ring paddling pool, more for the kids to stand in... mostly they use it as a massive paint pot and "paint" my patio lol

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i don't currently have a paddling pool, but have used one in the past with older mindees and lots of supervision.

i tend to fill my tuff tray with water and let them play with that!

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had mine up the yesterday with 2 x 7 year old, 1 x 4 year old 1 x 3 year old and two adults stood next to the pool at all times, kids taking it in turns to go in and out, and worked really well, today i am on my own and wont be using the pool, i wouldnt feel safe letting them in it today.... depends on what children i have, how they behave, the ratio of adults and ra to it too...

xx
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

feb 93
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a big paddling pool which i have put up this week (weather is too nice not too) It is about a foot deep so not suitable for LO's. I have a nine and 11 year old using it - they can both swim. Have Risk assessed and the kids are having fun. Littlies are only allowed in garden if i am with them and they know they can not go in pool but are more than happy playing in the water tray. They did have a paddle in pool yesterday with me but didn't like it because the water was too cold.