An example of 'clever wording' by LA
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Penny1959 Guest

Default An example of 'clever wording' by LA

Elsewhere I have commented about LA's being good at wording things so it seems like you have to do something and no options - when in fact there usually are options - or sometimes they are not telling the 'whole truth'

So example from my LA

Said at revised EYFS information session

Worcestershire advised that safeguarding training is renewed every TWO years - so taken in relation to wording in revised EYFS where it says 'Taking account of any advise from LSCB' - I and others assumed we had to renew every two years.

Today we get sent an audit from LSCB - where it says maximum time scale for renewal of training THREE years.

So I check with my friend who still works for Worcestershire LA - and ask for clarification

She says - TWO years good practice actual requirment must be renewed every THREE years.

So as far as I am concerned - I will renew between 2.5 years and 3 years depending on availabilty of courses - rather than looking for a course between 1.5 years and 2 years.

A big difference over time is costs - as in 12 years could have renewed 6 times rather than the required 4 times - thus saving the cost of 2 courses (plus of course you time andtravel costs)

As I say clever with words - why could they not just say 'Must be renewed every three years but it is considered good practice to renew every 2 years'

Penny

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Because they want to make money on the courses

I didn't think it was a requirement to renew just to do it in the first place and good practice to re do every three years and when you do do a course approved
    by your local safeguarding board.

Must go and read the document again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post

As I say clever with words - why could they not just say 'Must be renewed every three years but it is considered good practice to renew every 2 years'

Penny
    Perhaps you should suggest that to them Penny

Could save people quite a bit of money (and time and effort) depending on how much the courses are.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Because they want to make money on the courses

I didn't think it was a requirement to renew just to do it in the first place and good practice to re do every three years and when you do do a course approved
    by your local safeguarding board.

Must go and read the document again!

That is what is say RS - but our LSCB says must renew every 3 years

So you need to check your local requirements

Penny

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I renewed mine last weekend! Must say it's been 3 years this September I last did Safeguarding training.
    I actually enjoyed it, although watched a couple of distressing videos. The trainer was fab ( in more than one way ) and he definitely knew his stuff. I did talk to him about the new instruction from our LA to renew every 2 years and I got the impression he thought it a bit OTT and explained not much changes in 2 years.
    Carol xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    That is what is say RS - but our LSCB says must renew every 3 years

So you need to check your local requirements

Penny
    It isn't a requirement here. When I did my EYFS training last week I asked when there were going to be more Safeguarding ones because there have been very few this year and mine was three years old in April. I was told there will be more in September and not to worry nothing had changed in Herts since I did it last time!! It was the same trainer who I have known for years. So in Herts it is good practice as it has always been, but not a requirement.

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

don't get me started on this one!!!

our LCSB do not like taking of photographs and you will not believe some of the things that has been said

we must only use a polaroid instamatic camera was one...
    errrrr ok, how many blurred non usable shots do I get???

boo

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    It isn't a requirement here. When I did my EYFS training last week I asked when there were going to be more Safeguarding ones because there have been very few this year and mine was three years old in April. I was told there will be more in September and not to worry nothing had changed in Herts since I did it last time!! It was the same trainer who I have known for years. So in Herts it is good practice as it has always been, but not a requirement.
    Personally I think that if the LA / LSCB arranged training when changes were made - and we were required to do the training (because of the changes) alot of money and time could be saved

Penny