Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    Non childminder member
    Also Home Childcarer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer1 View Post
    Daybreak have done their usual FB thing this morning and asked for peoples comments on the cost of childcare. Most are as you would expect, childcare is too expensive blaahhhhhh, but one idiot said that childminders are unregulated, you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and nurseries are a much safer option. Oh for goodness sake! Makes me so cross that uninformed people feel the need to air their opinion! Have people forgotten Little Teds in Plymouth?? The centre of a paedophile ring?? As I see it, nurseries have their place and I respect them completely, but they are busy, children have far less space and individual attention than they get with me. I charge £3.50ph, I have a 22 month old so I can take two under school age, which means I make £7.00 ph. Then I have tax and national insurance. Then I have food. Then I have other expenses. So I would say on an average day I perhaps clear £4.50-£5.00 per hour? Maybe not that much. But I have the pleasure of being able to be home with my DS as well. I hate to sound harsh, but I gave up my job after I had my second child as I didnt have childcare for two children. Why cant other people take the same view? We relied for a year on my partners wage which isnt fab, and we got a bit of help with our rent and council tax and some tax credits. I cant help feeling that the people that moan the most are the people that earn the most! They are your children, they are your responsibility. Surely if you are high flying in your career, you would consider this and childcare before you decide to have children??? Rant over!
    Oh I loved this post, honesty and humour - thank you, relaxed me anyway!

oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    That's why when I take my cat to the vets I get a bill for £30 before I even get in the door, vets get paid a load.
    When i go on holiday i pay around £100 for someone to come and feed my two cats and three hamsters twice a day..i don't moan
    I've had my kitchen done and the electricians bill alone was nearly 2k...I paid it
    The plumbers bill was close to 1k to plumb in 2 sinks and move some pipes...I paid it

Why do people moan about paying for childcare. Good professional childcare comes cheap at £3.50 an hour around here.
    Exactly my point well said!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    It's all going 'Mammaries up to the sky' isn't it? I reckon all this trying to get CMs better qualified and taking on NVQs is so that they can get rid of CMs in private homes all together and make us all work in nurseries.
    :
    Just thinking aloud

Where will these nurseries be, country is already struggling to find space for housing in the South and probably elsewhere too

The ratios are higher in nurseries

The government want any children with working parents to be institutionalised from a very early age

There are many other questions, but it would take me all day. No one in power has seemed to consider the children in this or options for care. No one in power has considered the implications to lots of us, lots of us will be claiming benefits, oh yes and the unemployment numbers will rise.

I really do hope they backtrack over this or like it has been suggested its all spin

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They make me furious each time recently that they have discussed childcare childminders have been nowhere on their agenda. I have tweeted them each time but surprise surprise nothing, no response at all. Maybe we should all FB or tweet en masse, we might get a look in then.
    I have just had yet another child taken out of nursery and placed with me full time as nursery is more expensive and the quality of care poorer. Told daybreak that. No response.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I was telling a friend how disillusioned I was with it all and she was saying they never mentioned childminders, but she did say that if they do make the changes about forcing us to charge less then loads of childminders will be leaving in droves and then mums will have no childcare options as the nursery spaces arent going to appear overnight

Was just trying to put this across from the prospective of a non childminder

Post Thanks / Like

:ROFL1
    ::censo:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    I've a very jokey good relationship with a mum I work for who is also in the childcare profession ... I've just greeted her with the words "Welcome, and thank you so much for bringing your children to someone who, according to the media is illiterate, overpaid and a potential child abuser"

Her reply was "Well that is exactly why I bring them to you ... we like living on the edge!"

Rofl, now that's a parent I could work for love it

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont want to work for an agency, i dont want to pay over £200 registration fees and i dont want to give 10% of my wages to some moo in a suit behind a desk who has forgotten what childminding is all about..
    Preach it sister!

I value my freedom in this job, which even with the regulation is still a lot more than many people get and I can chop and change if something isn't working. There's no way I'm becoming an agency worker working to someone elses policies. At least I can ignore the lady from the council.

The after school clubs is worrying me. I would like to switch my focus from under-2s to older EYFS and after schoolies, so am planning on doing my NVQ and looking at accreditation. No idea if that will even be available for childminders soon with all this. After school clubs already mean it's hard to get after school childminding business.

As for us looking after more children, are they joking? I can't physically cope with any more.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

Just been browsing this and reading the comments:

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/school...hild-care.html

We have somebody on our books who is a teacher. I am so tempted to ask her views on this because at 5:30pm she comes to pickup and just wants to get home and relax/chillout after a busy day. I can imagine her being made to stay in school minding children and we will still have her child here with us. We have her 3 days a week but the point is what if this mum/teacher is made to look after peoples children 5days a week after school! She will hardly ever see her daughter. I dont know how to ask her, it might be better for my partner to approach the subject. I can forsee teachers who are single and possibly dont have much of a social life stepping in for this role, or they will be forced to and if they refuse, they get replaced or ofsted gets involved... silly idea's but then again this coalition if full of it.

And from 9am to 3.30pm, that is a long day in itself anyway. Kids get tired, wound up or just plain want to go home and see mum, dad etc. We have after schoolies and they come to us because the parents want the home enviroment so they unwind. Keeping kids in school till 8pm... I just think this government has gone mental, dont know how else to say it lol.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayse74 View Post
    Just been browsing this and reading the comments:

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/school...hild-care.html

We have somebody on our books who is a teacher. I am so tempted to ask her views on this because at 5:30pm she comes to pickup and just wants to get home and relax/chillout after a busy day. I can imagine her being made to stay in school minding children and we will still have her child here with us. We have her 3 days a week but the point is what if this mum/teacher is made to look after peoples children 5days a week after school! She will hardly ever see her daughter. I dont know how to ask her, it might be better for my partner to approach the subject. I can forsee teachers who are single and possibly dont have much of a social life stepping in for this role, or they will be forced to and if they refuse, they get replaced or ofsted gets involved... silly idea's but then again this coalition if full of it.

And from 9am to 3.30pm, that is a long day in itself anyway. Kids get tired, wound up or just plain want to go home and see mum, dad etc. We have after schoolies and they come to us because the parents want the home enviroment so they unwind. Keeping kids in school till 8pm... I just think this government has gone mental, dont know how else to say it lol.
    My thinking is that maybe it will be after-school clubs who will need to open until 8pm. Can't see teachers ever being made to work that late. Now that would be something to strike about. But what annoys me most is that they are saying all childcare workers should work unsocial hours as a norm.
    We are self-employed we can work what hours we want but if we get deregulated you can bet that one of the terms is that we have no say over our opening hours.
    So much so for 'quality of life' for ourselves as well
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    My thinking is that maybe it will be after-school clubs who will need to open until 8pm. Can't see teachers ever being made to work that late. Now that would be something to strike about. But what annoys me most is that they are saying all childcare workers should work unsocial hours as a norm.
    We are self-employed we can work what hours we want but if we get deregulated you can bet that one of the terms is that we have no say over our opening hours.
    So much so for 'quality of life' for ourselves as well
    They do already!!! My dh didn't get home until gone nine last night and nor will he tonight because they are doing a Songfest in his borough and the performance finishes at 8.45pm. This also happens for school concerts which I am sure you have all attended or will attend, parents evenings in High School and Concerts and Drama productions all go on after 9pm! There are also a number of occasions with our High School when they have to perform in the Church in Central London to which we are tied (we are on 15 miles from London) when the coaches leave school at 6am with Teachers on board. When my dd when on German Exchange we had to get her to Luton Airport at 4am to meet the Teachers!!

I don't think they mean for Teacher to be at school minding the children I think there would be an uproar I think they mean After School Clubs but I think it is wrong anyway the children should be at home and in bed by then if they have any chance of performing well at school the next day.

As for someone telling me what time I will work in my own home. NEVER in a million years will that happen. My home, my family, my rule ALWAYS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123