Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have one LO who comes in second hand shoes, she must have 2 pairs for every day, BUT each and every pair is at least a size too big & often too wide. and despite this, mum can't or won't provide a pair of wellies!

my children have an inset day on the day that i have this mindee ... and DD needs some new shoes, not because they don't fit, but because she had worn the heel down but she has had them since october! so i think i might do a massed foot measuring session at the show shop!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never gone in for fitted shoes for any of my children apart from school shoes because they last longer than ones I have bought elsewhere and all of them have perfectly good feet, don't see an issue with asda trainers at all....even if not in them all day as still just beginning to walk it is very handy for a parent to provide something for this weather when you are holding their hands to walk around on wet, muddy grass.....

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I have a thing about children not being in shoes until they really need to be (ie. they are walking everywhere outside). Even in the garden I have them just in socks.

If parents send their babies in shoes that I don't think are appropriate, I leave them off all day & only put them back on at hometime.
    Thats me too

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I left my son without shoes until he was 18 months - even now he goes around with socks - It was other peoples comments that made me buy him some shoes.
    He started to walk at 11 months.
    CWR

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Both of my boys didn't walk until they were 17mths and didn,t have shoes until they were 2yrs at home they were bare foot all the time and only wore the shoes (clarks) if we went any where that required them to be wearing them, when it was cold and we went out they wore tights under their trousers to stop them pulling them off. even now at 17 and 19yrs they still prefer bare feet.
    Last edited by QualityCare; 08-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I wouldn't do it but you know each to there own and all that, some people just don't think about properly fitted shoes it's not important.
    I nannyed for many years for a chiropodist and his biggest issue was children who did not yet walk wearing shoes, he said they shouldn't even have socks on, so when I use to visit with my children when they were babies I use to take there shoes off before going so he didn't nag me,lol.
    Also growing up me and my brother and sister had absolutely nothing we were very very poor but we always had clarks shoes on our feet, my mum use to save her penny's in a jar so she could buy them.

LOOPYLISA Guest

I think the reason being my dd never had clarks or startright shoes regularly is the first couple of pairs i bought for her fell apart i did like their doodles? do they still do them?

I must have had no shoes or socks when i was younger as i love being bare foot now

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I always bought my children clarkes shoes thinking i was doing the right thing. But now at the grand old age of 33 my son has awful feet so it makes me wonder if the expense was worth it.

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i have one LO who comes in second hand shoes, she must have 2 pairs for every day, BUT each and every pair is at least a size too big & often too wide. and despite this, mum can't or won't provide a pair of wellies!

my children have an inset day on the day that i have this mindee ... and DD needs some new shoes, not because they don't fit, but because she had worn the heel down but she has had them since october! so i think i might do a massed foot measuring session at the show shop!
    We regularly go to Clarks or Brantano to measure our feet and look at all the different styles of shoes my assistant used to work for Clarks so knows how to properly measure feet and it's a great learning curve for the children ESP when looking at the "all about me" or "growing and changing" theme I always get the staff to write each child's feet size on a headed piece of paper so the kids can take it home to mummy/daddy, I also make a note of it in their learning journal! Xx
    xx

Post Thanks / Like

I have never gone in for fitted shoes for any of my children apart from school shoes because they last longer than ones I have bought elsewhere and all of them have perfectly good feet, don't see an issue with asda trainers at all.
    the only fitted shoes I have ever bought are dd's school shoes. All my kids shoes are cheaper ones that aren't fitted. dd has even had a pair of 2nd hand ones off ebay I can't see the problem with supermarket trainers either, it's just something else for the perfect mum brigade to feel smug about.

I'm sure fitted shoes are so much better for feet but I can't afford them and clarks shoes are just plain ugly and uncomfortable.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't you just hate the converse type boots with all the laces - takes ages to take them off and put them on!!

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years back i had a lo from 6 months and his shoes were always to big "but they were a bargain" the amount of times i would be "reminded" not to lose his shoes i started taking them off when he was in the house but that never helped him when we were out and about . I then took his sister on same problem,they left when eldest was 5 and sister was 2, mum gave up work

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that really annoys me is children in ill fitted shoes! It's so important to make sure that they have correctly fitted shoes. And don't even get me started on hand me down shoes!

Yes shoes are expensive but imo totally worth it to ensure your child doesn't have any problems later in life.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We used to put our children all in Clarkes shoes until our second child was fitted for a pair at about 18 months which blistered her foot - one foot was blistered quite severely under her ankle bone where the shoe chafed. Haven't been back since - they wear all sorts of shoes now from different shops.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

My mindee came in size 3 hard sole branded trainers the first time she came, when we got home I took them off and her feet were min 4.5, I told mum I was going to sainsburys to get my sons feet measured as theres a clarks in there, and asked if she wanted me to check mindees too, she said yes and she was a 4.5g, I told mum and it was 2 weeks before she brought new shoes that were bigger, still sent her in the old trainers, she did then by clarks cruisers but I didn't expect it even though I buy clarks, I just wanted some that fit her, she is now walking much better. I did work in clarks so may be better at judging but almost 2 sizes is a lot, I dread to think what damage has already been done.
    Sorry I rambled so much

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    Don't you just hate the converse type boots with all the laces - takes ages to take them off and put them on!!
    I love them. They feel more secure on my feet, and I really like the flexible soles. On the other hand, I am dyspraxic so I either wear really flexible shoes (I'd go barefoot more often if I didn't always trip over things or stub my toes) or boots because they help me to feel where my feet are.

On a first-shoe-buying related note, I was born in Hong Kong, and my mum had to take me to Macau to find the only shop in the mainland of south west Asia that sold Clark's shoes. And I had really wide feet too.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also one of the "must buy properly fitted shoes" birgade! My Mum drummed it in to me when I was a child. She didn't have much money to spend but always told us that our feet were very delicate and needed protecting and our little bones might get pushed out of place if our shoes didn't fit properly.

I also take off shoes of lo - I don't see why they need them? I waited until mine were walking confidently and regularly outside - about 3 months after they took their first steps. And yes they were barely worn but that was my choice - they wore them for walking outside - other than that it was back to barefeet.

One mindee is almost standing up on his own (not walking on his own) and randomly turns up in different shoes. I guess they belonged to his older brother. They fall off or he falls over a lot in them so I take them off and leave them in his bag. If he is outside I pop an extra pair of socks on him and his all in one waterproof as he crawls so the shoes wouldn't do much anyway.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I know Clarks shoes are expensive, but to me it's money well spent. I don't have very much money and have never been able to buy new things for DS - most of his clothes, toys etc have been second hand, but the one thing I have made sure I buy new and "proper" is shoes, because I know it is so important for his development.

I think some parents just don't realise how important it is, so maybe you should say something to them. It's hard to know what to say though!

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

When my son was 18 months I took him to Clarks had his feet measured and bought a £35 pair of shoes.

My son would not walk in them - he just refused to move so after 4 days of trying to get him to walk in them i took them back - they re measured his feet and was told i had been sold a pair of shoes 1 and a half sizes too small!!!

Their excuse? It was a trainee who served me! No apologies, no discount to make up for it.

i could have persevered and made my son wear those shoes for several months.

Lost faith in Clarks after that.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My mil took ds to clarks and bought him 'properly fitted shoes' which I refused to use because he wasnt walking at that point. Some time later I took him to get him measured and they measured him a size smaller! I have no faith in their system of 'properly fitting shoes'. In fact time before last their machine measured him 2 sizes smaller than he was previously and the staff were happy with that measurement. I always check manually, its much more accurate ime.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast